Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Cost of living is a lot cheaper than Jersey. However, Georgia public schools are not all that wonderful either. Private schools are common for the monied people down here too. I'm not familiar with Peachtree City's restaurants. I wish locals would recommend a few. Try searching the internet and look at the reviews. Use Google Maps to find it. I too am wanting to move to Atl eventually. It's very hard to uproot a real estate business when you have ownership of rentals. Good luck to you. Best wishes.
Georgia public schools are widely diverse in quality...Fayette County is one of the better systems and the schools in Peachtree City are very good overall. McIntosh High is rated one of the best in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,893,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naychurkal View Post
I'm loving these inputs. Thank you everyone. Please keep them coming. Can I rent a golf cart while down there next month? How is the humidity there throughout the year?
Don't worry about humidity from basically September to May. June through August it's bad, but not gulf coast bad. It's actually quite dry most of the year humidity wise. Especially fall when it isn't raining.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,371,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Georgia public schools are widely diverse in quality...Fayette County is one of the better systems and the schools in Peachtree City are very good overall. McIntosh High is rated one of the best in GA.
Oh I know that. I was just speaking of overall ranking generally. It usually falls in the lower half or mediocre in science, reading, and mathematics. Even in the worst states there are good schools, and Georgia isn't the worst by a long shot. Georgia's schools are dragged down by things really beyond their control. I love Georgia but provable facts do come first.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:24 AM

222 posts, read 230,308 times
Quote:

Any tips or advice on where to have lunch or a nice dinner ? Do you guys recommend we make a stop anywhere in particular?
Restaurant Recs:

Due South (lunch or dinner)
Georgia Shrimp Company (lunch or dinner)
J Christopher (breakfast and lunch)

Old 10-25-2015, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,906 times
I have Googled it and did find some. Yes I figured I would get a tickets fairly quick. How is the humidity year round there ? And how is the traffic and commute to union city? I'm thinking I'll probably find a job there since they have tons of dealerships.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:18 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,371,346 times
Quote:
I have Googled it and did find some. Yes I figured I would get a tickets fairly quick. How is the humidity year round there ? And how is the traffic and commute to union city? I'm thinking I'll probably find a job there since they have tons of dealerships.
Humidity is AT TIMES very bad in summer. Sometimes it isn't that bad. In fall and winter and spring it is low to tolerable mostly. Union City is about 10-15 miles from Peachtree City as the crow flies. I-85 would be rough in the mornings and evenings, but you wouldn't have to go all that far. Might even be able to find an alternate route. Ask the locals how hwy. 74 is.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:22 PM

52 posts, read 74,054 times
Quote:
Union City is a sketchy area near 85.

Head the opposite way to Newnan. Downtown Newnan is beautiful and has many local restaurants. Also check out downtown Senoia. A beautiful town where many movies have been filmed.

If you are on Facebook, look up "life in the PTC Bubble".

Last edited by pugdog; 10-25-2015 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-26-2015, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,906 times
Thank you all so much. All these comments are helping me and my family a lot. Thanks for the restaurant recs AUBIE16. I'm going to apply to several dealerships possibly in Newman and in Union City. By looking at google maps I see that Union City has a lot more dealerships then Newman, but we will see. I'm hoping to land a job as close as possible, but I'll go wherever the money takes me.

Last edited by naychurkal; 10-26-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 03:32 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,349,649 times
Ok, to clarify regarding distance: PTC to the airport depending on where you live can be 20-30 minutes or quicker. The schools are top notch, you will find a plethora of restaurants check out Yelp with fairly accurate rankings. Also check out the local newspaper for jobs http://thecitizen.com

I'm pretty sure within the last week I saw a listing for a hygentist. And for automotive stuff, Union City was mentioned, literally one exit North off the xpwy, and also Newnan is close both areas have multiple car dealerships.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 PM

761 posts, read 898,566 times
Peachtree City is a great place to raise a family. It's a master planned community of around 35,000 people with over 90 miles of multi-use paths that connect recreation areas, restaurants, schools, churches and shopping centers. You can, bike, walk, or travel via golf cart on the paths. The city is made up of 5 villages each with their own shopping area. The villages are like mini cities within a city. There is intentionally no town center, because the city was planned to have multiple villages each with their own individual shopping and recreation centers. There are also 3 lakes, 3 golf courses, a soccer and baseball complex, an amphitheater, BMX bike park, skate park, and many other pocket parks throughout the city. The schools are some of the best in the state. The 2 main high schools that serve the area, McIntosh and Starr's Mill, are always in the top 20 in the State for SAT scores. The average family income is over 100K. It's also conveniently located to the airport. For that reason, there are many pilots and airline executives that live in the area. The only downside is Atlanta is a North Centric city. Most of the major shopping and dinning, and job centers are on the Northside of Atlanta. Also, Peachtree City is pricer than surrounding areas. Newer homes start around 500K and go over 1 million. You can find older homes in the 200-400k range, but they usually sell fast and may need updating. It's also a little less diverse than surrounding areas. PTC has traditionally been over 90% white, but is now around 80% white with more Asian and Hispanic families moving to the area. However, it still is less economically diverse, and most families tend to be middle to upper middle class.

Here's a video describing PTC. Good luck. If you come down, you should definitely rent a golf cart. It's the best way to see the city due to PTC's required 50 foot tree buffer in front of most developments. If you drive through in your car, you won't see much due to all the trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta