Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 02:28 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Way too much parking for a site 1/2m from a MARTA station
The reality is that most people still need a car in Atlanta. Unless the density rapidly increases, many developers feel they probably need enough parking to attract high quality owners/renters. It's kind of a catch 22 because without enough parking their project will probably be less attractive in the short term, but continuing to add parking and taking up more space detracts from efforts to build density and TOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:15 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Way too much parking for a site 1/2m from a MARTA station

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...erations-90754
Most people aren't walking half a mile to MARTA. They're just not. Secondly, with 512 units and 25,000 square feet of commercial space, that's a single parking spot per unit and 88 spots for 25k of retail. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Most people aren't walking half a mile to MARTA. They're just not. Secondly, with 512 units and 25,000 square feet of commercial space, that's a single parking spot per unit and 88 spots for 25k of retail. Doesn't seem unreasonable.
Agree on parking (as long as that is the number the developer arrived at and not a parking minimum required by law).

But disagree "Most people aren't walking half a mile to MARTA". My old condo in Midtown (Viewpoint) at 6th and Peachtree was half a mile to MARTA and I never heard of a single person there that thought it was too far to walk. Many (including myself) did it for their regular commute every day.

On the flip side, the parking deck was mostly empty. The condo builder never sold all the parking spaces in the deck despite discounting them down under $10K a spot (they cost $20K a spot to build). They ultimately ended up selling the to another condo building built on the same block with zero parking.

I think something similar could happen here. In ten years when this area has developed more and all this parking is not needed, new projects can be built with zero parking and tenants can just buy the extra spaces in the 600+ car deck.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:12 AM

27 posts, read 22,506 times
I am not sure if the folks here also read skyscraperpage forum, but I posted details on this last week before news broke.

Whitehall Mixed-Use - Downtown

[quote=Atlanta3000;8253820]
More Details

MARCH 30, 2018|TONY WILBERT

California Developer Plans 512 Apartments at Hazardous Downtown Site
Mixed-Use Community Near Garnett MARTA Gets $100 Million in Bond Financing

An ambitious plan to convert a contaminated site in Downtown Atlanta to hundreds of apartments and retail space recently received a huge shot in the arm.

The boost comes from the Development Authority of Fulton County (DAFC), which approved a letter of inducement to issue $100 million in revenue bonds to help finance the 500,000-square-foot mixed-use project planned at 409 Whitehall St., about a half-mile from the Garnett MARTA Station.

San Francisco-based Eagle Environmental Construction (EEC) plans to develop a mixed-use project with 512 apartments, 25,000 square feet of retail and commercial space and a 520-car garage plus additional retail parking.

But the site is listed on the Georgia Hazardous Site Inventory. HSI is a list of properties where a regulated substance has been released into the environment above a reportable quantity and not yet cleaned to state standards. For years, the site was home to Simmons Plating Works.

The total cost to remediate the site is $13 million, Eversheds Sutherland attorney Will Pickens told the DAFC. To date, the Georgia Environmental Protection Division has spent more than $3 million to clean up the site, and as a result, has a lien on part of the property. For years, Simmons Plating made coatings for metals at the site, which rendered it contaminated.

Because of the required remediation, the Whitehall project likely is not feasible without bond financing, EEC CEO Ronald Batiste informed DAFC members at its Feb. 27 meeting. "Mr. Batiste informed the Authority of his extensive experience developing contaminated sites and that it can be very difficult to generate financing for such sites," according to the meeting minutes released his week.

DAFC CEO Al Nash recommended the board approve the request to issue bonds "considering Eagle Environmental Construction's experience and ability," the minutes state. Batiste "is an international businessman involved in the development of communities around the world," EEC's website says. The site lists the Whitehall project and construction of Beth Eden Baptist Church sanctuary and offices in Oakland as EEC's current projects.

The industrial parcels that make up the land assemblage for EEC's project must be rezoned to allow for the new mix of uses. EEC Development, an affiliate of Eagle Environmental Construction, filed the rezoning request with the city of Atlanta in February.

EEC selected the site because the area near the Garnett MARTA Station is an "underutilized boulevard that connects Downtown to I-20," its project summary states. "The city of Atlanta finds there is a need to preserve and restore existing, traditional, historic districts, as well as create new pedestrian-oriented commercial nodes."

If plans were approved, EEC would build four residential buildings - a nine-story concrete structure with 189 studio and one- and two-bedroom apartments, and three five-story wood structures with the remainder of the units. Rents would average $1,125-$1,450 per month.

The retail portion, to be developed along Whitehall Street, is designed for a grocery store, dry cleaners, cafe and possibly a jazz nightclub, according to the rezoning request. To satisfy zoning requires that 20 percent of the project be public space, EEC would build a retail plaza with wide, tree-lined sidewalks and landscaped walking trails.

EEC expects to complete the Whitehall mixed-use development by October 2020. But it first must win approval from the Zoning Review Board (ZRB) and Atlanta City Council. The ZRB will take up the request at a May 3 hearing

Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But disagree "Most people aren't walking half a mile to MARTA". My old condo in Midtown (Viewpoint) at 6th and Peachtree was half a mile to MARTA and I never heard of a single person there that thought it was too far to walk. Many (including myself) did it for their regular commute every day.

On the flip side, the parking deck was mostly empty. The condo builder never sold all the parking spaces in the deck despite discounting them down under $10K a spot (they cost $20K a spot to build). They ultimately ended up selling the to another condo building built on the same block with zero parking.
So, you had a condo building which charged $10k per spot for parking, and ended up with a building full of people who were walkers. Gee, I wonder why that worked out the way it did (even though I don't buy it).

In other news, if a steak house charges $1,000 for a steak, people might just go to Applebees instead.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
So, you had a condo building which charged $10k per spot for parking, and ended up with a building full of people who were walkers. Gee, I wonder why that worked out the way it did (even though I don't buy it).

In other news, if a steak house charges $1,000 for a steak, people might just go to Applebees instead.
Yes, funny how that works huh? Driving is expensive. If people have to pay the real, expensive costs of driving / parking suddenly it is less appealing and they will go to other options instead.

So who should be paying that $20,000 it costs to build a space in a parking deck? The developer is not going to pay it out of their pocket. They just add that price on top of the cost of the condos. Those that want to use the parking space should be paying it.

Last edited by jsvh; 07-20-2018 at 05:30 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:

Charging the true cost of parking... for once.
That is what happens when we separate the cost of parking from the cost of housing.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Agree on parking (as long as that is the number the developer arrived at and not a parking minimum required by law).

I think something similar could happen here. In ten years when this area has developed more and all this parking is not needed, new projects can be built with zero parking and tenants can just buy the extra spaces in the 600+ car deck.
IIRC, Viewpoint's deck was designed for three buildings, the current Viewpoint plus two slightly-smaller ones planned before the housing bust (here's a rendering from before it became a three tower project):

Obviously, this never came to pass (and Skyhouse South ended up building a smaller deck).

Quote:

I see zero problem with parlaying out the cost of parking.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
IIRC, Viewpoint's deck was designed for three buildings, the current Viewpoint plus two slightly-smaller ones planned before the housing bust (here's a rendering from before it became a three tower project):
Yep. When I bought they were still showing the bigger three tower renders in much of the marketing materials. But it should be noted that plan also included an additional larger deck built between those two towers with a massive pool & amenities deck on the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I see zero problem with parlaying out the cost of parking.
Agreed. Parking will sort itself out if people have to pay directly for it.

Last edited by jsvh; 07-20-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,243 times
Quote:
This isn't a good comparison. They are charging less than what the parking is worth. A better comparison would be if a restaurant sold their baked potatoes seperately from their steaks, and for less than the potatoes were worth. Some people might not want a potato, or parking, no matter how much of a deal they are getting.

Everyone that has purchased a condo that came with a parking spot has paid for a parking spot. It added value to their condo. Just like sides add value to an entree.

I live in a 50+ year old condo building with a small surface parking lot. My unit didn't come with a parking spot, and if I wanted to buy one (I don't), I would need to pay someone who owns one of the spots somehere close to $10k, so the price they would need to pay for a parking space in that deck is a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta