Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:01 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
$18 a pound! Is that really what it costs?

Ha! I don't know what the current price is since I haven't set foot in a Whole Foods in close to a decade. It's damned expensive from what I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 PM

105 posts, read 353,487 times
Atlanta is hit or miss as far as friendliness goes. Sometimes folks are super friendly, other times they give you attitude for random reasons.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
To me, either this city has changed a lot over the years due to transplants, or Southern hospitality was never even all that big of a thing here. I'm writing this because I visited Macon, GA this morning, and really noticed how friendly the people there were. It just seemed noticeably different from the vibe I get in Atlanta, at least today... seemed more like TRUE Southern hospitality.

People won't even really make much eye contact with you here and don't seem too interested in conversing with people they don't know. Must be a big city thing?

I'm not saying Atlanta is full of horrible, mean people. I do see a lot of politeness and non-confrontational mannerisms here but that's really not the same thing as genuine friendliness.
I think all in all its pretty friendly. Now everyone isn't going up and saying hi to strangers, but when you have contact, they tend to be pretty friendly. Now small towns tend to be more that way, but Atlanta is pretty friendly for a big city.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 PM

134 posts, read 185,852 times
For a big city, Atlanta is friendly. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and I can say that, on average people are much friendlier here. Of course, there are rude people everywhere, but the difference is palpable when I go back to visit family in PA.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 PM

253 posts, read 304,688 times
I also think it really depends. When I first arrived here about six months ago from a large city in the West, I was struck with how friendly it was. It was almost unbearably friendly. So much smiling, and saying hi and asking how my day was. Not that this is a bad thing, but it can be time consuming and sometimes I just wanted to really not talk to anyone while walking my dog or hiking or picking up a gallon of milk. Now that I've settled in, I'm so used to it that it can be so very noticeable when people aren't overly friendly. I traveled out of state recently and I had to readjust to not saying hi to everyone who passed by.

I think for a city of it's size, Atlanta is reasonably friendly.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Wierd. My mom said the opposite. Compared to when she went to NYC last month, she thought Atlanta was a very friendly city where people do things like hold the door, strike up a random conversation while waiting in line, or just saying hi in general whereas she thought the people in NYC were cold and and it was as if they hated the world. She said she love visiting the city, but she could never live there for those and other reasons.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Friendliness is directly related to happiness, and vice-versa. So it's safe to assume that people in Atlanta are, on average, happier with their circumstances in life than people in other cities.

And if you don't believe this is true ... check yourself next time you're feeling blue or in a bad mood. Being told to "have a nice day" when you're day really sucks ... really sucks.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
In social situations, I think there is plenty of southern hospitality in Atlanta. If you're discussing business-related basic polite customer service then Atlanta is definitely lacking.

I am from the south and have had not problem getting along with people from all types of backgrounds whether it involves political beliefs, race, religion, ocio-economic differences, etc. In general, we can all break bread at the same table with no problem because those things don't really define the nature of a person. They are just one of the many things that makes you who you are.

However, one of the first things I noticed here is that a lot of commercial establishment employees behave like that have a beef with the customers. I'm not expecting them to go out of their way, but I should not feel like I'm an inconvenience. If you don't like your job, then it's not my fault. I get that having someone be rude to you can definitely make it feel like oh, there's not southern hospitality at this establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta