Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I actually think a really good solution is this: Why not just allow bicyclists to ride on sidewalks?
Because it's dangerous and stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM

96 posts, read 95,256 times
Quote:
Instead of worrying about trying to add bike lanes to the to the road, why don't we just split sidewalks in half to a walking portion and a riding portion?
Most of Atlanta doesn't even have sidewalks. Where there are sidewalks, they're often very narrow and/or incomplete. How exactly would bike lanes on side walks work in Atlanta? Have one a section two feet wide for bikes, two feet wide for pedestrians, and then 40 feet wide for cars? How is that fair at all?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:11 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I like the idea of denoting adjacent residential streets as bike routes and developing more multi use trails.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:23 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I like the idea of dedicated bike lanes as well, but realistically speaking, it's probably going to take a very long time to get there and we need solutions now, even if they are only temporary.

Why do cars get more priority than bikes? I think that's simple arithmetic: because drivers outweigh bicyclists by a margin that is at least 100 to 1. It's probably more like 1,000 to 1.

Contrary to popular belief, bike lanes are not everywhere in any city. Here's a map of bike lanes in Manhattan: Manhattan Bike Map: Manhattan Bike Paths, Bike Lanes & Greenways - NYC Bike Maps | NYC Bike Maps

Sure, they exist, but it's not like they are on every street. If you have to go between the park and river on the upper East side, you're pretty much screwed. They may be doing better than us, but it's still not like you can get from anywhere to anywhere using dedicated bike lanes.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 AM

445 posts, read 516,342 times
We should favor cars with our infrastructure because so many more people drive than bike.

So many more people drive than bike because we favor cars with our infrastructure.

Two completely different ways of looking at the same facts.

My experience is that bikes slow me and other drivers down a little, but not too much.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, bike lanes are not everywhere in any city . . .

Sure, they exist, but it's not like they are on every street . . . but it's still not like you can get from anywhere to anywhere using dedicated bike lanes.
With all due respect, I think you've effectively refuted a statement that absolutely no one has made.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I believe that there should be paths specifically designed for bicycle traffic that actually can provide a significant advantage not having to share the road with cars and using other strategic avenues the cars cannot pass on.
To do this though would require a tax either the bicyclists would end up paying through some tax structure bond or equivalent, or the community would foot the bill since it would be free to all that ride .
This might also add a new problem for law enforcement and surveillance and security for the bike paths. opposing lanes an speeding laws just like regular traffic.
The width of the lanes may also be an issue if those that have trailers for their children and or groceries ,so limitations would have to be established, for the width of the vehicle.
There may also be required a level of age, skill ,training and other factors of maintenance and operability . Insurance may also come into play.
If the community pays for it the community has a right to it so long as they fallow the same laws as every one else using the said path.
Many more people would ride but are afraid of traffic ,and for good reason.
Personally I ride a motorcycle ,primarily because I have done it a great part of my life , I like it better then driving my trucks .
I have mountain bikes and off road, and they are fine, but people driving vehicles past some times are deliberately hazardous. Cyclists tend to be more respectful, simply because there is something more invested in peddling the bike .
Just as there are dash cams for cars, there are personal cams as well one can wear riding hands free ,if that level of security or entertainment is important to you.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
Go to any major city. There are bike lanes. But, I guess the New York's, Chicago's, London's, San Fransisco's, and Barcelona's of the world must all be wrong though, right? Frankly, it's a little (a lot) embarrassing that this is even a topic in the Atlanta forums.
This is the statement I was attempting to refute.

New York does have bike lanes, but it's not like they are everywhere.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
There are bike lanes here in Temecula as well ,there are some avid cyclists that use them often here. and they seem to be every where.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
This is the statement I was attempting to refute.

New York does have bike lanes, but it's not like they are everywhere.
The statement was, "There are bike lanes in these cities."

You refuted this non-stated statement: "There are bike lanes everywhere in these cities."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta