Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:35 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Then you experienced an unusually bad day. I drive DAILY from the airport area to Downtown Marietta at rush hour, getting off the highway at Delk Road, and THAT drive, including the stretch from Delk to the Marietta Square, usually takes me 40 minutes, and sometimes less.
The unusually bad days will be more usual during baseball season, especially when there's an event at a performing arts center at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Yes, traffic from downtown to SunTrust at rush hour will be bad.

Traffic from Vinings to The Ted at rush hour is just as bad now.

So really, the whining about traffic is all subjective.
I never said it was during rush hour, and it wasn't. I'm also no sure why everyone is citing traffic from Vinings. Not everyone lives there, as it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Transit.
Transit is not going to address the vast majority of trips we need to make. And as we've discussed, even if transit delivers people right to the door of a venue, most folks are still going to drive.

By the way, I thought about it last night as I made my way over to the west side. The weather was terrible and progress was slow even in car, but it would have been a disaster to attempt the trip via public transit.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Transit is not going to address the vast majority of trips we need to make. And as we've discussed, even if transit delivers people right to the door of a venue, most folks are still going to drive.

By the way, I thought about it last night as I made my way over to the west side. The weather was terrible and progress was slow even in car, but it would have been a disaster to attempt the trip via public transit.
There are still options for those who can't or don't want to drive. There will come a day when you can no longer drive.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
And as we've discussed, even if transit delivers people right to the door of a venue, most folks are still going to drive.
Not true:

And isn't Wrigley the sort of atmosphere the Braves were hoping to create?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Not true:

And isn't Wrigley the sort of atmosphere the Braves were hoping to create?
Wrigley and Fenway are organic creations and not planned, SubTrust can never be like those. The best they can hope for is Camden Yards, but wait that is located in an urban setting.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Wrigley and Fenway are organic creations and not planned, SubTrust can never be like those. The best they can hope for is Camden Yards, but wait that is located in an urban setting.
Agreed.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,456 times
Quote:
True indeed...and Atlanta is not Chicago. The new stadium could be located smack dab in Midtown, and the car numbers would still be 75-80%. As much as you and I would like to see more mass transit (non-auto) options and usage, it just isn't in the culture here in the Atlanta metro.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
True indeed...and Atlanta is not Chicago. The new stadium could be located smack dab in Midtown, and the car numbers would still be 75-80%. As much as you and I would like to see more mass transit (non-auto) options and usage, it just isn't in the culture here in the Atlanta metro.

Then people need to **** and stop complaining about traffic.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
[/b]

Then people need to **** and stop complaining about traffic.
Last I checked, he wasn't. Neither was I. Some of the in-town-only advocates sure like to complain about traffic in areas they claim to never visit, though, including this one.

I pass through this area every single day, and rarely experience more than a 5 minute delay vs. what I would experience in off-peak hours.

An expansion of transit would be very helpful, and I would fully support it. But quite honestly, the traffic situation in this area is not nearly as dire as some would have us believe.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
It's not just the culture, it's convenience. As others have said, even in places where transit takes you to the front door, people still have to find a way to get to the transit system in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta