Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 08:16 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't mean this personally, Pemgin, but I would urge today's millennials to think this through.

In 10 years or so they will be aging out and then they will be the ones fighting off bike lanes and cut through traffic and trying to preserve a little elbow room for themselves and their families.

Just saying, you know. 40 gets here a lot sooner than people realize.
Or, you know, we could be thinking for generations other than our own? Like, our own children, and their grand children. If people really do want room, there will be that to leave for. If people want density, there should be that as well.

Infrastructure is, by its very nature, and investment in the future. Or, at least it should be. Too often we tout the immediate impacts over what it could be down the road with some TLC. Yeah, bike lanes are disjointed now, but give it a decade or two of road repaving and repainting, and who knows, we could have a heck of a network. Same with anything else.

It's ironic to me that you mention thinking about the future, but don't seem to consider that maybe we are, just not only our own. You've said that mellinials and the younger generations should be working to fix things instead of just griping about it. Well, here is a case where things were going to get fixed. Not only for bikers, but for cars as well. It was as much of a win win as you could possibly have, and what happened? It got killed by the established persons who didn't want change.

Despite the studies. Despite the engineers' word. Despite the push and show of want. It was killed in favor of those who didn't want change to come to an area who would stand to benefit the most from it.

I don't want to start another generational spat here, I respect your comments a bit too much for that arjay, but I don't see anything other than ignorance and established traditionalism killing any attempt at doing something about the problem, just as it has and will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 07:38 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Quote:
I don't mean this personally, Pemgin, but I would urge today's millennials to think this through.

In 10 years or so they will be aging out and then they will be the ones fighting off bike lanes and cut through traffic and trying to preserve a little elbow room for themselves and their families.

Just saying, you know. 40 gets here a lot sooner than people realize.
I understand that priorities change from generation to generation, and some of today's cyclists will be tomorrow's motorists, but there has to be room in the infrastructure to meet the needs of everyone at all points in life. Transit, bikes, automobiles, and pedestrians all need a seat at the table and it's very discouraging that car drivers get almost all of the consideration in this city/metro.

I think that more than any other generation, the millenials are the ones who are thinking this through and are trying to lead the conversation for smart planning for those generations yet to come. Obviously, there are many in the older generations who are part of the conversation, too, but I believe that without millenials, we would be having fewer conversations about the future of the built environment.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:21 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Pemgin and fourthwarden,

You both make strong points. I am glad to see you gentlemen taking the long view and looking out for the interests of society as a whole.

Keep on leading and stay true to your beliefs. You will have a lot of impact.

I, for one, will be pulling for you.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Pemgin and fourthwarden,

You both make strong points. I am glad to see you gentlemen taking the long view and looking out for the interests of society as a whole.

Keep on leading and stay true to your beliefs. You will have a lot of impact.

I, for one, will be pulling for you.

Thanks Arjay!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Peachtree Road Bike Lanes Still A Possibility, GDOT Says | WABE 90.1 FM

Old 12-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Peachtree Road Bike Lane Project is Now on Life Support

Quote:
Typically, the department advertises that it will respond to all comments within 30 days, but they extended the comment period from the original deadline of Nov. 9 to Nov. 16 to accommodate the ongoing deluge of input.
Quote:
Though GDOT hasn't made an official decision on the future of the project, Sam Massell, the president of the Buckhead Coalition, which publicly opposed the changes, has said they won't be going through with the project, according to the AJC. Department spokespeople have said they will release an official decision next week.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Whatever the decision may be Buckhead will handle it with style and grace. They have dealt with a lot more than restriping a small stretch of Peachtree.

Last edited by arjay57; 12-06-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 05:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
I blame the media for this failure as they turned this from a operational and safety improvement to a bikes vs cars just to get more clicks.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I blame the media for this failure as they turned this from a operational and safety improvement to a bikes vs cars just to get more clicks.
It's not over yet is it?

Old 12-11-2015, 02:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
It's not over yet is it?
Now it is:

https://twitter.com/GADeptofTrans/st...19161875623936

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta