Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 07:47 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Doubt it. Just mentioning the words "bike lanes" got the community riled up in anger even though the proposal would have also benefited cars. This was nothing more than Buckhead saying F--- Y-- to bikes, and it showed that the old guard probably views cycling as some kiddie activity than a regular transportation mode. I'm embarrassed as a Buckhead resident.
Well, I don't know. I went to the Tech seminar and there were several pro-bike Buckheadians there (including the head of their CID and some of the neighborhood honchos). There were also a number of them at the GDOT meeting.

The antis that I talked to were concerned about safety with all the vehicles on Peachtree and with making the cut thru traffic worse. The commuters coming in and out of town already pour over into the residential streets and treat them like dragstrips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 03:35 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Huh? The only dedicated left turn lanes are at Deering Road, every intersection between there and Pharr Road doesn't have them.
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. For example, there is a left turn lane at Peachtree Battle. These lanes make absolutely no difference anyway and just have ppl weaving in and out of the lane. In any case there is not a dedicated left turn lane, there is still three lanes going north so the left one ends up being the default. I said left turn on arrow only bc every week I see an accident on Peachtree where someone was trying to turn left and ran into a car in oncoming traffic. I see it weekly and this is why I try to drive in the right lane - to give myself a chance to get out of the way and for the left turner to stop before hitting me. It has worked twice. Left turning on Peachtree is apparently a challenge for alot of drivers. It's so bad if there was real estate I'd say it would be better to build the right turn roundabouts you see in New Jersey (go right to go left).

Old 12-13-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. For example, there is a left turn lane at Peachtree Battle. These lanes make absolutely no difference anyway and just have ppl weaving in and out of the lane. In any case there is not a dedicated left turn lane, there is still three lanes going north so the left one ends up being the default. I said left turn on arrow only bc every week I see an accident on Peachtree where someone was trying to turn left and ran into a car in oncoming traffic. I see it weekly and this is why I try to drive in the right lane - to give myself a chance to get out of the way and for the left turner to stop before hitting me. It has worked twice. Left turning on Peachtree is apparently a challenge for alot of drivers. It's so bad if there was real estate I'd say it would be better to build the right turn roundabouts you see in New Jersey (go right to go left).
I swear I don't recall a left turn lane at Peachtree Battle, LS. My recollection is that it's just three regular lanes going each way.

To turn left, you just get in the left lane, turn on your blinker and wait for an opening across three opposing lanes. That of course has the effect of shutting down the center lanes anytime somebody wants to turn left. Not only a traffic fiasco but a safety issue as well.

It was my understanding that this is what started the whole conversation about GDOT creating a left turn lane on Peachtree.

Last edited by arjay57; 12-13-2015 at 08:33 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 08:36 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer
No, bike lanes are not in the plan anymore. That was a major point in the most recent turn of events. Also, as you said, you do not know about left turn on arrow only, which was my focus, so why are you even commenting? I would have no reason to say I want left turn lanes as I live in Bu khead and take Peachtree everyday and it seems to me most of the intersections already have left turn lanes. That's part of what causes the dangerous weaving in and out of lanes.
Why am I commenting? You said what we need are left turn arrows and left turn only on the arrow. I said that left turn arrows, and dedicated left turn lanes were included in the original plans with the bike lanes, but I wasn't sure about left only on arrows, which appeared to me to be a separate thing for you.

To have a left only on arrow in a regular traffic lane is a horrifically stupid idea. Most intersections do not need red arrows. Only ones in which oncoming traffic cannot be seen as well, such as an intersection on a hill or at a curve.

Quote:
There is not one single dedicated left turn lane between Deering Road and Buckhead Ave. Not one.

Peachtree Battle does not have left turn lanes. It has a regular traffic lane which also has a turn arrow. That is not a left turn lane. Adding a red arrow to this will not fix traffic problems one bit. In fact, it would make them worse.

Adding a dedicated center lane for turns, which is not a traffic lane, is exactly what this road needs. Having a dedicated turn lane reduces the amount of swerving back and forth in and out of the left lane. It also provides a place for people turning left out of businesses to go if traffic is heavy on the other side, rather than having to wait for both sides to be clear. And it could have been done with bike lanes added as well. Now, it will be all of that, but without bike lanes, which serves only to please the white-hairs.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Adding a dedicated center lane for turns, which is not a traffic lane, is exactly what this road needs. Having a dedicated turn lane reduces the amount of swerving back and forth in and out of the left lane. It also provides a place for people turning left out of businesses to go if traffic is heavy on the other side, rather than having to wait for both sides to be clear. And it could have been done with bike lanes added as well. Now, it will be all of that, but without bike lanes, which serves only to please the white-hairs.
Exactly.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:13 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Why am I commenting? You said what we need are left turn arrows and left turn only on the arrow. I said that left turn arrows, and dedicated left turn lanes were included in the original plans with the bike lanes, but I wasn't sure about left only on arrows, which appeared to me to be a separate thing for you.

To have a left only on arrow in a regular traffic lane is a horrifically stupid idea. Most intersections do not need red arrows. Only ones in which oncoming traffic cannot be seen as well, such as an intersection on a hill or at a curve.

There is not one single dedicated left turn lane between Deering Road and Buckhead Ave. Not one.

Peachtree Battle does not have left turn lanes. It has a regular traffic lane which also has a turn arrow. That is not a left turn lane. Adding a red arrow to this will not fix traffic problems one bit. In fact, it would make them worse.

I would say that Peachtree does absolutely NOT need a dedicated center lane for turns. Left turns impede traffic in the opposite direction and create more risk for traffic accidents. What it needs is some more restriction on when you can turn left and more specific left turn lanes for specific intersections.

And adding specific left turn lanes is much more feasible than adding a whole additional lane the length of the road.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I would say that Peachtree does absolutely NOT need a dedicated center lane for turns. Left turns impede traffic in the opposite direction and create more risk for traffic accidents. What it needs is some more restriction on when you can turn left and more specific left turn lanes for specific intersections.

And adding specific left turn lanes is much more feasible than adding a whole additional lane the length of the road.
How does a left turn impede traffic? Someone should only be taking a left turn when there's no traffic coming at them. What does impede traffic is for someone to stop in a travel lane and wait to turn, rather than being able to pull into a center turn-only lane. Many major roads in the city have a dedicated center lane. It moves stopped cars out of travel lanes. Can't be more dangerous. I've driven that stretch quite a few times, and find myself going in and out of the left lane as cars stop to turn left. A LOT of cars turn left off of Peachtree.

How would you add a specific turn lane at just some intersections? By turning the existing travel lane into the turn lane just for that intersection? That's what it is now. It's not working very well at all, and that would do nothing to help traffic or accidents.

Forming the dedicated center lane the entire length of the road is a simple matter of restriping the road, which they would be doing anyway with improvements.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
How does a left turn impede traffic? Someone should only be taking a left turn when there's no traffic coming at them. What does impede traffic is for someone to stop in a travel lane and wait to turn, rather than being able to pull into a center turn-only lane. Many major roads in the city have a dedicated center lane. It moves stopped cars out of travel lanes. Can't be more dangerous. I've driven that stretch quite a few times, and find myself going in and out of the left lane as cars stop to turn left. A LOT of cars turn left off of Peachtree.

How would you add a specific turn lane at just some intersections? By turning the existing travel lane into the turn lane just for that intersection? That's what it is now. It's not working very well at all, and that would do nothing to help traffic or accidents.

Forming the dedicated center lane the entire length of the road is a simple matter of restriping the road, which they would be doing anyway with improvements.
This.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:24 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Quote:

I guess you don't see all the accidents where left turners cannot see and are hitting ppl in oncoming traffic. I see this weekly. Don't you? It is very difficult to see oncoming traffic when you are turni g left on Peachtree bc there is usually a line of cars in the other side's left lane trying to also make a turn. I see a left turner crashed into an oncoming car pretty much every week. I'm perplexed that you do not. Do you travel on Peachtree in the 8 o'clock hour and btween 2:30 and 4? I see cars on the sidewalks, in poles, smashed together and alot of it is a left turner that obviously could not see. As I said, I've begun traveling in the rightmost lane just to give me and the left turner a chance to stop begore running into me. It has occurred and was avoided at least two times even with me in the rightmost lane in the past 5-6 months. Left turning is a major issue on Peachtree.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I guess you don't see all the accidents where left turners cannot see and are hitting ppl in oncoming traffic. I see this weekly. Don't you? It is very difficult to see oncoming traffic when you are turni g left on Peachtree bc there is usually a line of cars in the other side's left lane trying to also make a turn. I see a left turner crashed into an oncoming car pretty much every week. I'm perplexed that you do not. Do you travel on Peachtree in the 8 o'clock hour and btween 2:30 and 4? I see cars on the sidewalks, in poles, smashed together and alot of it is a left turner that obviously could not see. As I said, I've begun traveling in the rightmost lane just to give me and the left turner a chance to stop begore running into me. It has occurred and was avoided at least two times even with me in the rightmost lane in the past 5-6 months. Left turning is a major issue on Peachtree.
That's the problem with not having a dedicated turn lane.

People turn left from the centermost NB and SB lanes, but they are just regular travel lanes, not dedicated turn lanes. As a result you get people dodging and weaving in an attempt to avoid getting caught behind a left turner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta