Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, I don't know if these are necessarily facts....you'd have to take for granted that the models are accurate, and I don't really know how well a computer can simulate human behavior.

But that being beside the point, I'm curious to understand why 3 northbound lanes and only 2 southbound makes more sense than vice versa. Seems to me it would be a wash, with one being better at certain times of day and the other at another.
The models are making assumptions about crash reduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Ponce has continually gotten worse outside Boulevard. Don't know about inner Ponce-I avoid it. Maybe lots of people are avoiding inner Ponce.
Ponce, east of Blvd is where major retail centers are located, as well as backups caused from Freedom Pkwy, Highland, and Moreland. Nothing is going to be perfect and this is the best design for the width of the roadway.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Quote:
Ponce has continually gotten worse outside Boulevard. Don't know about inner Ponce-I avoid it. Maybe lots of people are avoiding inner Ponce.
That's because there's more traffic due to the influx of new retail and residents. Imagine how bad it would be if they hadn't improved it.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
"inner Ponce" is where the road diet was done. I drive it regularly and it is now much more pleasant drive. Accidents are drastically down. And some of the travel times have actually dropped. There was a study done on it just a couple months ago.

Pretty impressive considering in the same time, PCM and a half dozen apartment complexes have opened near by.

Of course the road will still fill to capacity in the long run and there will be gridlock. But it would have even if they widened Ponce to 10 lanes.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:54 AM

207 posts, read 322,157 times
This is a dumb idea. I could see maybe one person a day using those bike lanes. Neither the terrain nor the traffic flow allow for biking; a dedicated lane is not going to change that.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
This is a dumb idea. I could see maybe one person a day using those bike lanes. Neither the terrain nor the traffic flow allow for biking; a dedicated lane is not going to change that.
As someone who actually lives on the corridor, I see cyclists all the time, and that's without the bike lanes. This is also primarily to fix the left turn issue that plagues Peachtree, which requires removing the existing center traffic lanes anyway.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
It's really funny that lazy people assume everybody else is just like them. The terrain, once you bike for a bit, is nothing. I go up some large hills to get to work, and while at first they were difficult, once you get into shape they are nothing. That's how you know you're actually getting to be in good health too - when you really don't care about the terrain between points A and B. Biking significantly improved my health, and now I can't imagine having to drive to work everyday.

The traffic flow problem is what is being solved by bike lanes - who cares what the traffic is like if you have a dedicated space to zoom by people in their cars.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
It's really funny that lazy people assume everybody else is just like them. The terrain, once you bike for a bit, is nothing. I go up some large hills to get to work, and while at first they were difficult, once you get into shape they are nothing. That's how you know you're actually getting to be in good health too - when you really don't care about the terrain between points A and B. Biking significantly improved my health, and now I can't imagine having to drive to work everyday.

The traffic flow problem is what is being solved by bike lanes - who cares what the traffic is like if you have a dedicated space to zoom by people in their cars.
Also, people fail to realize that bikes have gears for hills.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Also, people fail to realize that bikes have gears for hills.
But the AJC says Buckhead has the most hipsters and they ride fixies.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
But the AJC says Buckhead has the most hipsters and they ride fixies.
Then it must be true!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta