Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,336 times

Advertisements

I've searched as best as I can here and on other sites, but for the life of me I can't find out how to find actual diverse neighborhoods in Lilburn. I am planning a move there in the coming months (from Tucker), will be buying a home for myself and my child, who will be starting middle school next year. I'm good with the housing prices, up to $200K, and am moving for the excellent public schools (Parkview cluster). While I work downtown, I've come to terms with the extended commute I will have. But we are a multi race family (I'm white, my child is black), and have extended family also black, white and Asian. From driving around the many streets of Lilburn, all I seem to see are white families, or older white couples. However, my child also has played sports in Lilburn the last couple of years and I know that there are black families who live there. Short of knocking on doors though, how do I find them? As you can see by my name here, diversity is critical for us and I'm doing my best to find it. I should also add, heavily black or all black neighborhoods is also fine with me as long as I can remain in the Parkview cluster and in my (max) $200K price range.

Thanks for any guidance you can give...either to websites with specific data or folks who actually live in Lilburn and are willing to share what you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:09 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needdiversity View Post
But we are a multi race family (I'm white, my child is black), and have extended family also black, white and Asian. From driving around the many streets of Lilburn, all I seem to see are white families, or older white couples. However, my child also has played sports in Lilburn the last couple of years and I know that there are black families who live there. Short of knocking on doors though, how do I find them? As you can see by my name here, diversity is critical for us and I'm doing my best to find it. I should also add, heavily black or all black neighborhoods is also fine with me as long as I can remain in the Parkview cluster and in my (max) $200K price range.
To me Lilburn seems like the most diverse place in the ATL, with lots of Asians, middle easterners, whites, Hispanics, blacks, you name it.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
To me Lilburn seems like the most diverse place in the ATL, with lots of Asians, middle easterners, whites, Hispanics, blacks, you name it.
You almost don't even have to look to find diversity in a place like Lilburn.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You almost don't even have to look to find diversity in a place like Lilburn.
There are quite a few predominantly white neigborhoods in Lilburn--a lot of empty-nesters--so, the neigborhoods are not as diverse as the schools--this was even true for Stone Mountain along Memorial Drive through about 2000. I think that the high-end (for Lilburn) gated comunity off of Garner Road is very diverse (Garner Creek?).

Last edited by jeoff; 11-06-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There are quite a few predominantly white neigborhoods in Lilburn--a lot of empty-nesters--so, the neigborhoods are not as diverse as the schools--this was even true for Stone Mountain along Memorial Drive through about 2000. I think that the high-end (for Lilburn) gated comunity off of Garner Road is very diverse (Garner Creek?).
Thank you, that's what I saw as well...I will look for the Garner Creek community but am afraid it will be out of my price range.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Thank you, that's what I saw as well...I will look for the Garner Creek community but am afraid it will be out of my price range.
You might try looking at the slightly newer 1990s-early 2000s homes in general (just go to zillow.com and filter 1995 and newer homes in your price range). Maybe look at the subdivision where Lake Lucerne runs into Five Forks Trickum. (FWIW, I can understand wanting diversity, but I really wouldn't worry about harassment or anything like that in a predominantly white neigborhood in Lilburn). Another place that might currently be what you are looking for, but would make me a little nervous--are newer homes/cluster homes/townhomes just off Hwy29 between Rockbridge Jimmy Carter Bvd. The "nervous" part is that they are so far from Parkview, I would wory about getting rezoned---odds of happening are pretty slim--but still a worry--also because of vicinity to 29--you may get more property crime--same with homes near 78. These are just educated guesses, but a place to start.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:30 PM

Thought I'd pass on some advice a good friend who is a realtor gave me about how to get a measure of the diversity in a neighborhood you are interested in. She said to get the general school bus schedules from the schools in the area and wait in the neighborhood to see who gets off the bus.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Thought I'd pass on some advice a good friend who is a realtor gave me about how to get a measure of the diversity in a neighborhood you are interested in. She said to get the general school bus schedules from the schools in the area and wait in the neighborhood to see who gets off the bus.
True...but there is a creep factor to doing that as well.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 PM

146 posts, read 134,564 times
Isn't all of Metro Atlanta diverse?

Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK314 View Post
Isn't all of Metro Atlanta diverse?
You would think so, but no. Especially in older neighborhoods where families haven't moved in years. Were all white back in the 60s and 70s and stayed that way. Newer upper priced neighborhoods are more mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta