Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
No worries! If you google Middle East Water Crisis (or anything to that effect, you will find tons of data - I even found a second-hand source quoting a CIA study in 2000 projecting conflicts in 2015, based on droughts). This essentially was what the Arab Spring really all about - all of those countries were in the middle of heavy drought. It's fascinating and disheartening all at once. And nothing any of us have any control over any more.

Here's a peer-reviewed Journal article on the topic - more from the Environmental side of things:

Earth Perspectives | Full text | Groundwater scarcity and conflict ¿ managing hotspots

And one from the Guardian about the kind of "king of the hill" tactical water control games that have been playing out in Syria and Iraq:

Water supply key to outcome of conflicts in Iraq and Syria, experts warn | Environment | The Guardian

Thank you for the other links but I'll be honest and say that I just read the one you mentioned in the other post. I like that this topic was brought about because many articles will talk about no jobs and poverty but they fail to mention anything about droughts and the effect climate change is having in certain countries.

How much these conflicts are influenced by climate change, I am not sure. I coincidentally have been watching a few documentaries on climate change and how many countries are being impacted negatively. It is noticeable that in the West a lot of times when they see these things on t.v., it's not so real and people tend not to relate to those who are suffering as a result of climate change. They are made into 'the other,' but I also saw them feature Australia and I wonder if things get drastic (if droughts get much much worse and water is scarce in many parts) how countries would react. I feel that they'd get a helping hand unlike their Syrian counterparts. I notice how Paris has gotten so much love and attention but countries like Lebanon who have experienced the same, don't receive the same.

Anyway, I'm tired. Thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 05:32 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This is an interesting thread, and reading through your thoughts, I tend to agree with both sides of the argument - odd. But, I do think that really shows what a complicated situation this is. You guys, don't bicker, because the various arguments, on both sides of the aisle, that you all are making, are very good and thought provoking.
I agree. For me the worst part of it is that you cannot have ANY discussion on any topic in this country anymore without the hurling pejorative labels. It's all about which side you have identified with and then winning the argument for that side becomes the only objective.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:44 AM

253 posts, read 304,737 times
As always, our nation's favorite satire hits right at the issue.

GOP Warns Refugees Likely to be Driven to Terrorism by Way America Would Treat Them

Quote:
Declaring that opening the nation’s doors to displaced Syrians posed a major security threat, GOP leaders warned Tuesday that any refugees who resettled in the U.S. would most likely be driven to terrorism by the way America treats them. “We absolutely cannot provide a safe haven to these Syrians due to the very real threat that the abusive and hateful conduct of Americans will push the refugees toward radicalization and recruitment by extremist militant groups,” said Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), echoing the sentiments of numerous other presidential candidates and state governors who have argued that Syrian asylum seekers would in all probability embrace a radical jihadist worldview after constantly enduring anti-Muslim hate speech, racial epithets, and threats of violence and persecution by both the American people and government officials. “The moment we let these Syrians in, I promise that our most ruthless and cruel tendencies will take over, and we won’t relent until these refugees feel like they have no choice but to plan and execute a terror attack right inside our borders. It’s better to be safe than sorry in this situation.” Cruz claimed that the country did not face the same threat from Syria’s Christian refugees, stressing his confidence that only a small percentage of U.S. citizens would regard them as Muslim extremists.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
As always, our nation's favorite satire hits right at the issue.

GOP Warns Refugees Likely to be Driven to Terrorism by Way America Would Treat Them
I know The Onion is satirical, but it's not all that far from true. The GOP may not be saying it outright, but they are most certainly relishing in the public's fear for their own gain. The blatant bigotry spewed during this Presidential election is so upsetting. The Republican debates are becoming (have become) a circus, pandering to the uneducated and opinion driven population. I'm not saying Democrats are perfect, but at the very minimum, they at least SPEAK about tolerance and equality (what that means in reality, who knows).

For it to still be acceptable in this country for the supposed leaders to so broadly generalize, stereotype, and dehumanize an entire group of people is so saddening. They spew Christian phrases and call us a Christian nation, but when they are given the opportunity to do the Christian thing, they demonize and hate.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:24 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Are we actually using The Onion as a reference now? Peace out.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:27 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Anyone that has to use language like paranoid schizos to justify their position invalidates the very position they attempt to justify.
Anyone that begins their post in a thread about refugees with fear-mongering, jingoism, and xenophobia is mentally ill, but thanks for confirming that anyways...

Old 11-18-2015, 07:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not now, always. Satire has always been used in political arguments. It carries more weight than idiotic slogans like Kumbaya.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I wouldn't say it's being used as a reference, but as a "humorous" way of illustrating what is currently going on in our country. Haven't you ever read a political cartoon? Many times, these carry much more weight than the actual news. Satire and humor are excellent ways to carry a message to the general public, especially when they are based in fact. Humor not based in fact, however, is damaging.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I just find it funny no one has called for pulling out of the middle east and outright disengaging from current entanglements in the desert sand altogether.

Whatever happen to old-school conservatives that did not care for America poking its nose into the business of others?

Like I said before, these modern conservatives just want to have their cake and eat it too.

Sorry, that's just not going to happen.
I mean that would be my preference. I really think considering that the root cause issues are NEVER going to get 'better' at this juncture, that our best bet is to pull back all investment in the area, and provide humanitarian support only. But I'm no modern conservative. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

So, you know that the FBI is an internal investigation agency right? I wouldn't expect them to have access to the kinds of records that would be needed. The State Department would have more luck than the FBI. Even when / if the records are unable to be found, this process isn't new.

We've been accepting Iraqi and Afghani refugees for years now. Nearly 120,000 Iraqi, and 11,000 Afghani refugees have been settled since 2008. Where has been the swaths of death at their hands since?

The point is, that the U.S. Department of State has been handling investigations exactly like the ones that people seem so worried about, without a major problem, for years. We really need to be more worried
Thank you for saying this! I was wondering what the heck the FBI had to do with anything, or even why they were being interviewed on this topic, but then I realized they were being interviewed by Gomert...so that might explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
If you think that it has been "proven" that a Syrian refugee was one of the attackers in Paris, you are showing exactly how ignorant of the facts you actually are.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thank you for the other links but I'll be honest and say that I just read the one you mentioned in the other post. I like that this topic was brought about because many articles will talk about no jobs and poverty but they fail to mention anything about droughts and the effect climate change is having in certain countries.

How much these conflicts are influenced by climate change, I am not sure. I coincidentally have been watching a few documentaries on climate change and how many countries are being impacted negatively. It is noticeable that in the West a lot of times when they see these things on t.v., it's not so real and people tend not to relate to those who are suffering as a result of climate change. They are made into 'the other,' but I also saw them feature Australia and I wonder if things get drastic (if droughts get much much worse and water is scarce in many parts) how countries would react. I feel that they'd get a helping hand unlike their Syrian counterparts. I notice how Paris has gotten so much love and attention but countries like Lebanon who have experienced the same, don't receive the same.

Anyway, I'm tired. Thanks for the insight.
You are welcome. And I agree...I think with US, it becomes "Countries that share our values" first, "Countries that provide things we need, or where our companies make money" second, and if you don't fall into either of those categories...well you are SOL (ie: SubSaharan Africa). It's a damn shame.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:49 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Not that anyone who is actually espousing this side of the debate will necessarily read and absorb the facts, but here's some:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ded-heres-why/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta