Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:12 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Take care of the homeless and the Vets, then you might get my support

That's a platitude, and an awesome excuse to do nothing.

Because you KNOW we don't take care of our Homeless and/or our vets.

I'll hazard a guess and say that you vote republican.

Republican congresscritters run repeatedly and successfully and the "no handouts, No Moochers, No takers, only Makers" platform. People vote for them BECAUSE they don't take care of the homeless. That is a statement of pride.

In regards to Vets - maybe you haven't been paying enough attention to realize this, but Republicans can be reliably counted on to NOT take care of vets as well (with the exception of John McCain)

To whit - (and this is just on Obama's watch):

Quote:
Here's a concise extraction for easy viewing for those who are INTERESTED IN VETERANS ISSUES and need to know which party supports veterans and which party does not.
The rejected Bills are named:
H.R. 466 – Wounded Veteran Job Security Act became H. R. 2875.
H.R. 1168 -- Veterans Retraining Act
H.R. 1171 – Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization
H.R. 1172 -- Requiring List on VA Website of Organizations Providing Scholarships for Veterans
H.R. 1293 -- Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009
H.R. 1803 -- Veterans Business Center Act
H.R. 2352 – Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act

DETAILS OF BILLS REJECTED BY REPUBLICANS:
H.R. 466 – Wounded Veteran Job Security Act – This bill would actually provide job security for veterans who are receiving medical treatment for injuries suffered while fighting in defense of their country. It would prohibit employers from terminating
employees who miss work while receiving treatment for a service-related disability.
H.R. 1168 -- Veterans Retraining Act – This bill would provide for assistance to help veterans who are currently unemployed with their expenses while retraining for the current job market.
H.R. 1171 – Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization – This bill would reauthorize programs in support of homeless veterans, to assist them with job training, counseling, and placement services through the Department of Veterans Affairs through 2014.
H.R. 1172 -- Requiring List on VA Website of Organizations Providing Scholarships for Veterans which does nothing more than direct the Department of Veterans Affairs to include information about scholarships for veterans.
H.R. 1293 -- Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009 – Here’sanother bill in support of those who have fought for their country, passed by House Democrats and blocked from becoming law by Republicans.
This would increase the amount paid by the VA to disabled veterans for necessary home structural improvements from $4,100 to $6,800 for those who are more than 50% disabled, and from $1,200 to $2,000 who are less than 50%, disabled. This means, if a veteran lost the use of his legs in service of his country, the country will pay for the wheelchair ramp so that he can live at home.
By the way, the last time this ceiling was lifted was in 1992. There isn't even a fiscal reason for being against this bill, as the total cost of this bill, according to CBO estimates, would be a “whopping” $20 million. That's about a quarter (25 cents) per family of four.
H.R. 1803 -- Veterans Business Center Act – This bill would set up a Veterans Business Center program within the Small Business Administration, which would specialize in such programs as grants for service-disabled veterans, help them develop business plans and secure business opportunities. In other words, folks, it would create jobs and offer opportunities those who have fought in defense of our country.
H.R. 2352 – Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act – This bill essentially combines a number of other bills that Republicans had blocked in the Senate previously, and adds a few elements. The bill would again establish a Veterans Business Center Program; .... it would establish a Military Entrepreneurs Program;
So to sum up...if you really, truly believe we need to be taking care of our homeless and veterans, and that isn't just an obstacle you are throwing up to make it sound like you are a patriotic, compassionate, and caring American, so as to avoid any action on refugees -

I urge you to please join me in voting for the (very limited, I will admit) politicians that DO actually vote in favor of policies that support veterans and the homeless. Your Veterans will thank you if we can get them some help.

If you're just talking smack though, the numerous veterans I have seen speaking on this matter are one step short of going ham on people using them as political footballs and paying lip-service to the support they desperately need. And I do mean that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Can't rep you again Tryska, but that post deserves one.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:39 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Can't rep you again Tryska, but that post deserves one.

Thanks Mattie!

Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
The American war veterans out there who need the most help are largely black and always poor, therefore almost nobody on the Right cares about them. It's just a talking point to bring out all the sudden now, when liberals talk about caring for the refugees. If we should take care of our own war-affected first, OK, then why won't your side of the aisle hardly ever do that?

*crickets*

Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Yeah, it's not like NPR to put a liberal spin on things....the reason they are declining is improved border patrol AND the lack of lower end service jobs due to a poor economy? I heard this diatribe months ago and it's simply wrong and ignores these two FACTS. The minute the economy picks up, they will be back. In force.

How do I know? We used to hire them for landscaping work. Not so many around now as the person that used to pay $1,200 to have their property cleaned up is no longer willing/able and ready to pay it.....THAT's the reason the reduction.

The NPR spin was a farce and a stretch wrapped around a laugh. Please. They will come back like the ducks in summer the minute the "job climate" improves.

Hilarious....

Old 11-25-2015, 06:08 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yet you still drive a car and more likely to die from a car crash than to be killed in a terrorist attack.
But I don't run with scissors!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Yeah, it's not like NPR to put a liberal spin on things....the reason they are declining is improved border patrol AND the lack of lower end service jobs due to a poor economy? I heard this diatribe months ago and it's simply wrong and ignores these two FACTS. The minute the economy picks up, they will be back. In force.

How do I know? We used to hire them for landscaping work. Not so many around now as the person that used to pay $1,200 to have their property cleaned up is no longer willing/able and ready to pay it.....THAT's the reason the reduction.

The NPR spin was a farce and a stretch wrapped around a laugh. Please. They will come back like the ducks in summer the minute the "job climate" improves.

Hilarious....
The point is, people are leaving, contrary to what the poster I was responding to claimed. The reason is irrelevant.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 AM

61 posts, read 53,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Why did you use quotation marks?
I used quotes because I'm beginning to think the new PC term for immigrant is "refugee".

Old 12-04-2015, 02:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
"Malik", the monster that just abandoned her baby and then proceeded to kill and maim 14+ in the San Bernadino massacre was vetted by the process that Obama (and many of you) are so confident works. Are you happy now? Still trust the government vetting process?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
"Malik", the monster that just abandoned her baby and then proceeded to kill and maim 14+ in the San Bernadino massacre was vetted by the process that Obama (and many of you) are so confident works. Are you happy now? Still trust the government vetting process?
Malik was not a refugee, so she didn't go through the vetting process you're referring to. Good try, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta