Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,386,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yep. So much for that. Especially if the end game is to kill us.
The end game isn't to "kill us" per se. At least not Daesh's endgame. Their end game is to usher in the apocalypse and the second coming of Jesus, oddly enough. Maybe that's why all those right-wingers are playing their hand the way they are.

Here's some background for you:

What ISIS Really Wants - The Atlantic

Now you might be cool with that, if ushering in the apocalypse is also your dream, but if not, here is why taking in refugees actually throws salt in the Daesh game:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hate-refugees/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 09:22 AM

8,488 posts, read 15,023,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Folks - Don't you think they are already here? If millions of folks can cross our southern border, I'm pretty sure ISIS has already done just that.
This right here. Why go through the trouble of applying for US residency when you can literally just walk in for free.

I really don't think people understand how hard it is to come in to this country, and how many extra steps and waiting periods refugees have placed on them.

Any suggestion that these folks are currently terrorists that are just being given a free pass in to the country is ignorant. These are people who WANT to be Americans.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This right here. Why go through the trouble of applying for US residency when you can literally just walk in for free.

I really don't think people understand how hard it is to come in to this country, and how many extra steps and waiting periods refugees have placed on them.

Any suggestion that these folks are currently terrorists that are just being given a free pass in to the country is ignorant. These are people who WANT to be Americans.

Right. Honestly...if I was an Islamic terrorist trying to get into this country, the last thing I'd do is try to come in on a passport from ANY Muslim country. That's just inviting much more investigation than I would want.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,727,737 times
For all interested, here is a refugee fact sheet from Indiana:

ISDH: Myths about Refugees

Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 AM

If for some reason, you are actually moved to give what you can to refugees this season - this organization can use your support:

Goods We Need for Refugees | International Rescue Committee (IRC)

Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,370,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
There is no way you can guarantee that innocent Americans will not be harmed or killed by allowing these refugees into our country. There is no way to properly vet them. Our safety and security supercedes bleeding heart liberal feel-good policy. Thankfully you're in the ~8% minority here. >

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-refugees.html
Innocent Americans are harmed every day by other Americans, using their constitutionally-granted tools. Adjusting for population, more Americans die every month from gun violence than died in this attack. But, here, we call it "freedom". Apparently, that's conservative feel-good policy?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Frankly I am deeply embarrassed and ashamed by Deal, and his supporters in this matter.

The position taken is not one of the America I know or the America millions dream about. It's a position of cowardice and of weakness and of jingoistic fear of the other. Not to mention all it amounts to is pandering because Deal has NO SAY in what happens with refugees - nor does any governor.

I am not afraid. I will gladly accept refugees in my community. Even if, for some reason it were to wind up being a terrorist - I would rather die knowing I did the RIGHT AND COMPASSIONATE thing, than the fearful and cowardly thing.

But that's just me.
No, it's not just you, and I'm heartened by some of the other comments on the thread.

I keep waiting for some religious leaders to speak up for the refugees, and all I hear are crickets.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 AM

989 posts, read 1,744,344 times
Some of the arguments I hear are ludicrous, especially the Fox in the Hen house and the battle of Attrition comments. Are we the HEN? Really? Do you think you can win the battle of attrition against ideology? Really? Here is the truth, for too long the world has been a dangerous place, and for too long we thought we could shield ourselves from the violence in the world. Our political policies are out dated, our military fighting tactics are outdated, the enemy is not a country with a standing army, the enemies has now become an ideology. We must adapt, we must bring a better ideology forward, like bringing in REFUGEES from parts of the world were the our enemies manifest, and show them that OUR ideas are better.

Last edited by onemanarmy; 11-17-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,917,929 times
Wasn't this country founded on immigrants refugees and slavery. I think America has no room to talk as much hell it's caused over the past 2 or 3 centuries.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM

32,034 posts, read 36,853,168 times
I read that Steve jobs was the son of a Syrian refugee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta