Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:01 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybythesea View Post
Hello,
We are thinking about moving to Roswell GA. We are a gay couple in our 40s with a young child aged 5. We have lived mostly in very progressive places such as Boston, Berkshires, and now Miami Shores (which is extremely gay family friendly. We have monthly gaybies playdate parties with over 30 families!). We have been lucky in that regard and never had to deal with at least overt discrimination.
We are not the types that flaunt our life style in public. Although very progressive and liberal, we are not activists who put rainbow stickers all over the places. We'd like to think we want to influence people's view by just living an life that is based on love and values and raising a wholesome kid, as a contributing member of the society and humanity. Having a kid, we also have to consider the school and the general mentality of the other kids and their parents living in the community as there will be a lot of unavoidable interaction on that level.
During the research, we can't seem to find much info about how friendly Roswell is to gay family with young kid (it seems most people consider buckhead and Ansley Park gay friendly). Our expectation is realistic , we can deal with an apathetic place in the worse case, but we want to make sure we are not moving to a place that is ultra conservative, prejudiced, or discriminatory.
Please help! Especially if you have the first hand experience. Thanks in advance.
Tony

are you serious? Nowhere in the entire South is gay friendly! Except maybe New Orleans and parts of Atlanta. And Asheville, NC if you want to extend the South up that far north. (Sorry...I don't consider Miami as part of the South, though I know that geographically it is).

Georgia is the most backward thinking place I've ever been. Like going back in time, man. Proceed with extreme caution!!

PS......Of course there's Austin, which would be hands down thee most Gay friendly place in the Southwest. You'll die and think you went to get heaven, mate. I bet per capital it has more than any city in the USA outside of San Francisco. Or maybe Miami. LOL. And the straights for the most part are so progressive you'll forget you're in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Both Roswell and Decatur are fine and any place usually has more than anyone knows...we aren't always immediately visible.
I have realized over the past few years that there are so very more gay women than men. And bisexual too. Living in Austin really opened my eyes on how many lesbians are out there. Wow. Austin is so dyke friendly that they don't hide it like they do elsewhere.

Sorry, a bit off topic. But you mentioned there bring more gay women and it reminded me.

A friend of mine is about to write a book on this. Rather, it's about to be published. Wait and see. It's gonna shock a lot of folks. I predict it to be famous. Like the old Kinsey study. Based on a decade of research. One factoid I recall is that the number of women admitting to engaging in at least one gay sex act has quadrupled in the past twenty years. Where for men all the numbers have remained constant forever.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:28 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
are you serious? Nowhere in the entire South is gay friendly! Except maybe New Orleans and parts of Atlanta. And Asheville, NC if you want to extend the South up that far north. (Sorry...I don't consider Miami as part of the South, though I know that geographically it is).

Georgia is the most backward thinking place I've ever been. Like going back in time, man. Proceed with extreme caution!!

PS......Of course there's Austin, which would be hands down thee most Gay friendly place in the Southwest. You'll die and think you went to get heaven, mate. I bet per capital it has more than any city in the USA outside of San Francisco. Or maybe Miami. LOL. And the straights for the most part are so progressive you'll forget you're in Texas.
What you know about this state could fill a thimble.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:19 PM

163 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
I have realized over the past few years that there are so very more gay women than men. And bisexual too. Living in Austin really opened my eyes on how many lesbians are out there. Wow. Austin is so dyke friendly that they don't hide it like they do elsewhere.

Sorry, a bit off topic. But you mentioned there bring more gay women and it reminded me.

A friend of mine is about to write a book on this. Rather, it's about to be published. Wait and see. It's gonna shock a lot of folks. I predict it to be famous. Like the old Kinsey study. Based on a decade of research. One factoid I recall is that the number of women admitting to engaging in at least one gay sex act has quadrupled in the past twenty years. Where for men all the numbers have remained constant forever.
If you're implying that there aren't any lesbian couples/families in the Atlanta area, then try visiting city of Decatur sometime.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What you know about this state could fill a thimble.
I'm not the only one who knows what a redneck bastion GA is.......

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...es-in-america/

Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
I have always heard that midtown Atlanta was the preferred neighborhood for the gays and that the lesbians prefer Decatur. Roswell seems very suburban and family oriented.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 10,234 times
Ookkkk "LAX star". I'm looking for real opinions from people who know the area. Please keep your angst to yourself.

Quote:

Old 03-02-2017, 06:34 PM

10 posts, read 10,234 times
We're looking for suburban and family friendly, so not sure the context you mean here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I have always heard that midtown Atlanta was the preferred neighborhood for the gays and that the lesbians prefer Decatur. Roswell seems very suburban and family oriented.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:38 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:

Oh, I get it.
You cut down one troll in this forum, and two more pop up like toadstools.
Been here nine years; they come and eventually, they go.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabeduna View Post
Ookkkk "LAX star". I'm looking for real opinions from people who know the area. Please keep your angst to yourself.

These guys know the areas!

And I have no angst on this topic. Simply facts.

These Are the Hardest States in America to Be LGBT | TakePart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta