Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:15 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
Right, genius. Because when someone has a different opinion than yours then you call them a troll. That's original.

But please don't let me interrupt everyone's diversitygasm. I'm sure others want to chime in with how they "visit" Clarkston and find the refugees they meet to be the nicest, bestest, kindest, sweetest, lovliest, awesomest people who have ever walked the face of the earth forever and ever.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 01:15 PM

119 posts, read 302,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, one thing I will say about Clarkston is that while certain people may love the character of this charming town with mom & pop businesses, it is in desperate need of a Wal-Mart.

In helping the refugees there buy some basic household items, I was mortified to see the level of price gouging that the local stores engage in. They know that the people there don't have cars and don't understand that there even is a Wal-Mart and how to get to it on MARTA, so they stock inferior products with brand you've never heard of and jack the prices up sky high. I don't mean that they put a 10-20% premium on it, I mean everything is convenience store priced. Imagine if you had to buy all your Advil, Band-aids, and toilet paper at Quick Trip, and you get the idea.

I literally saw things like 12 Band-aids for $4, $5 for a pack of 4 regular sized toilet paper rolls, etc. It was horrible that the people who actually really need low priced items the most have the least access to them.
A show called America By The Numbers aired on PBS awhile back and it focused on Clarkston. The reporter, Maria Hinojosa, said that 85% of the businesses in Clarkston are owned by refugees. So if there is price gouing -- which is common in many low-income areas -- then it's quite likely that refugees are doing it to each other.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Yeah - I remember us having this conversation a bit before. And it's been on my mind since. That does totally suck.

Are the folks that work at DFM refugees?
Yes, they are. There are people that refuse to shop at YDFM because of the way the owner, Robert Blazer, treats the employees.

Best article about the store is here: This is Your DeKalb Farmers Market | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 11-24-2015, 01:24 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Quote:
Yes, they are. There are people that refuse to shop at YDFM because of the way the owner, Robert Blazer, treats the employees.

Best article about the store is here: This is Your DeKalb Farmers Market | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Thank you for providing useful information. I am going to go read up.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:30 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:

As well as clear cutting tens of acres for the expansion. If that would have been Kroger or Walmart, people would be up in arms.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:41 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
So if there is price gouing -- which is common in many low-income areas -- then it's quite likely that refugees are doing it to each other.
This is actually a real problem as well.

Refugees that have been here a little bit longer and understand American culture better often take advantage of naive new arrivals. It happens in those Clarkston apartment complexes all the time, with older refugees selling used goods to the new refugees at inflated prices.

I don't think it makes this behavior any more forgivable regardless of who is engaging in it.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As well as clear cutting tens of acres for the expansion. If that would have been Kroger or Walmart, people would be up in arms.
Oh, there are plenty of people upset about that too. I read about, and heard firsthand, people's disappointment and anger about the YDFM expansion during all the cityhood and annexation talk.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
This is actually a real problem as well.

Refugees that have been here a little bit longer and understand American culture better often take advantage of naive new arrivals. It happens in those Clarkston apartment complexes all the time, with older refugees selling used goods to the new refugees at inflated prices.

I don't think it makes this behavior any more forgivable regardless of who is engaging in it.
And this is why I was disappointed that the BBC report ended just after a refugee started to talk about "real" life in Clarkston. But that's the way most of these major media organizations cover Clarkston, from the AJC to the New York Times to NPR to PBS and now the BBC. Although I am surprised the BBC reporter visited Brannon Hills. That place is usually hidden away and not part of the typical Clarkston narrative. It's spoken of only in the local press and in hipster-fetish spots like Vice.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Well, one thing I will say about Clarkston is that while certain people may love the character of this charming town with mom & pop businesses, it is in desperate need of a Wal-Mart.

There are four Wal-Marts within about a five-mile radius from Clarkston.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Definitely. Life in Clarkson is not all kumbaya.

Ask anybody who serves as a translator for refugees. The sad truth is that most of their work comes from translating in the Dekalb county court system.

The combination of desperation and people who don't fully understand American laws definitely makes real life quite a bit different from a feel-good 2-minute new story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: