Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,302 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to the Atlanta area for a job in Duluth. We have a 5 yr old, 9 yr old and 12 yr old. Schools are my #1 priority, however I hear that distance to work also needs to be a factor. He will work near 85, in Duluth. We would like a family oriented area with lots of outdoor activities. Our price range is between 350,000 - 500,000. We have been looking at Johns Creek, Suwanee and Dacula. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 05:29 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,064 times
Hi,

I might be of some help. "Might" because we just moved to Suwanee -- practically on the Duluth line -- in late Nov. '14. I have two 12-year-old boys. Any chance your 12-year-old is a boy?

Taking traffic into account is super important. I'm so glad somebody warned me. We found a home just seven mins. from my husband's job -- he's in Duluth near 85 too. I'd recommend Duluth. I actually wished we'd picked a home in Duluth. The old town center is adorable. And if you have a dog and go to dog parks, the Chatapoochie is a great dog park.

If you go into Johns Creek, the commute for your husband will not be great.

I've found a fantastic car repair guy, great hair stylist and more. If you'd like referrals just PM me.

Good luck!

Alley

Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 AM

347 posts, read 380,004 times
I'd say just look around Duluth! Suwanee is great as well, and Lilburn is growing if you want a more diverse populace.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 AM

27 posts, read 36,461 times
Brookwood school district in Snellville/Lawrenceville. Would be a dream commute down Ronald Reagan to Duluth in the AM/PM. Very nice homes at the intersection of Web Ginn and Ronald Reagan.

Is this place hiring? I drive thru there every day in my 1.5 hour commute.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Double that!

Where is he working and can he get me a job????

The part of Duluth by Sugarloaf and Peachtree Industrial is doing well and growing. Lots of new construction, and townhouses being built that will start in the 320s. If you buy before those come online, you should be able to get in much cheaper. This area has been a laggard, not booming with the rest of Atlanta. But it's booming now. My house is finally going up and up and up.

If I had kids, I'd probably be a bit more keen to buy in the Peachtree Ridge cluster, which will mostly be Suwanee mailing addresses. I'm in Duluth high school, which is fine, but it seems to get shafted a little more every time they do redistricting. Peachtree Ridge has Sugarloaf Country Club and more rich folk, so they tend to get their voices heard and keep apartments out of their cluster.

But if you value diversity, you can't do better than Duluth high. It's pretty much 25% white, 25% asian, 25% black, and 25% hispanic. Good kids.

You really can't go wrong anywhere in this general vicinity, and the good news is you can probably get something really nice at the low end of your budget and save a bit of money.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:32 AM

My 12 year old is a boy, if you know any soccer or baseball clubs with early sign-ups, I would love info on that. I will PM you, about the referrals, that would be great. Thanks for the helpful info.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I don't know which clubs play there, but I can tell you that Duluth city parks have TONS of sports fields.

Bunten Road park has several baseball diamonds.

You can check out parks & rec here: Parks Recreation, Vision Statement The City of Duluth Parks and Recreation will provide the optimum recreational facilities with quality programs to ensure the standard of excellence for all the citizens of Duluth

I'm not sure if the city actually has its own leagues or just provides facilities, but you can always email and ask. City employees are extremely responsive.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Would Grayson be close enough? Is it a nice area?

Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBOUND16 View Post
Would Grayson be close enough? Is it a nice area?
Grayson seems nice from what I've seen. It does not seem that different from Duluth except being more rural. While it's not my cup of tea, is there some reason you won't just consider moving to Duluth? It would take a little bit of the convolution out of the equation,.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Grayson seems nice from what I've seen. It does not seem that different from Duluth except being more rural. While it's not my cup of tea, is there some reason you won't just consider moving to Duluth? It would take a little bit of the convolution out of the equation,.
We currently live in a town with 6,000 people. I was hoping to find something similar, but without a long commute, I know that is not possible. Online Grayson seems to have a small town feel.

I am also hesitant to move to Duluth as the schools are not ranked very well. I only know what I see online, so my impression may be incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta