Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,190,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I'm going to view another home on Monday. Check this one out, not West End or Westview but still close to the Beltline (Lee St.) and Oakland City rail station, plus the price is right!

1128 Cahaba Dr Sw, Atlanta, GA 30311 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Wow. That is a steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:39 AM

787 posts, read 963,488 times
Looks like I'm down to my final two. Which do you guys think is better? Which would you choose?

1852 Beecher Rd Sw, Atlanta, GA 30310 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1128 Cahaba Dr Sw, Atlanta, GA 30311 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 03-02-2016, 02:10 PM

371 posts, read 454,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
1128 Cahaba Dr is gorgeous! Great home, great size, great price. I love the open upstairs area. I don't love the small-ish kitchen.

1852 Beecher is so cute! I don't like how the backsplash just stops in the kitchen on the wall with the window, but that's minor. I love the back deck! Is that a park/tennis court across the street?

This is a tough pick! Both are lovely homes. I'd have to see 'em in person to really get a "feel" for the home and the neighborhood. Sorry I'm no help!

It's been a couple days. Are you leaning one way or the other? I'm also curious- do you have children? Are schools a concern for you?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Inspection was bad for the one on Beecher, don't like that the Cahaba is not open floor, dining is separate from living space which is a turn off for me, so I'm back to square one.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,533,765 times
Lots of the West End/View refurbs are a matter of putting lipstick on pigs, often significant problems beneath the distracting aesthetics of remodeling.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 PM

4,762 posts, read 5,397,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Lots of the West End/View refurbs are a matter of putting lipstick on pigs, often significant problems beneath the distracting aesthetics of remodeling.
I agree make sure you get an intense home inspection as the city of Atlanta are not making sure contractors comply with having everything up to code and doing things correctly. Unfortunately I found out the hard way and had to spend thousands to get my house up to speed. I swear someone must be paid under the table at the City of Atlanta for not monitoring working permits submitted by contractors. I'm glad to be in West End though, but could have saved thousands of dollars if the city did their job and actually had city inspectors monitor construction. One of my first homes near West End had a high gloss look, but the inspector and agent told me to run away from it, once it was internally examined.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 PM

Yeah the Beecher St. home was a structural mess, my inspector basically said the floor was about to cave in, so much jimmy rigging underneath the house they proped up a 2x4 underneath the floor where the tub was at! I'm still looking in Westview and now Oakland City.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:59 AM

994 posts, read 1,533,765 times
A lot of these homes are purchased by investors for $15K-$50K, then a few weeks later, they are on the market for $160K-$250K. To ATLWarrior's point, you have to wonder how closely they adhere to code; with that type of flip, they are focused on a quick turnaround with the greatest ROI and minimal outlay. By the way, we have looked at MANY homes in the area for longer-term investment purposes, so I am pretty familiar.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:07 AM

4,762 posts, read 5,397,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
A lot of these homes are purchased by investors for $15K-$50K, then a few weeks later, they are on the market for $160K-$250K. To ATLWarrior's point, you have to wonder how closely they adhere to code; with that type of flip, they are focused on a quick turnaround with the greatest ROI and minimal outlay. By the way, we have looked at MANY homes in the area for longer-term investment purposes, so I am pretty familiar.
You are right my homes was purchase by an investor from Canada, I think God my home was in the historical part of West End and they made him do extra things. The investor eventually got frustrated with historical guideline and the buyer before me pulling out after a home inspection. He reduce the price significantly. I also had a VA loan and the VA appraisal report made him do additional things before approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta