Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Gentrification is not the goal of this West End resident because it displaces people. Some West Enders believe our community can support all residents regardless of income. This is what make us different from our neighbors who displaces families in order to drive up property values. I purchased a very nice renovated home with my VA benefits, but I like the people with diverse levels of income and housing options that includes everyone. This is what make West End unique and create a real and not pseudo community. Winning!
Lofty and noble goals, which I think you'll find are diametrically opposed to the wheels of capitalism when it comes to real estate. What systematic policies or programs are in place in West End to held this vision of Urban Uptopia come to fruition? When there is good money to be made by replacing small homes with larger and more expensive ones, finding a way to accommodate a wide range of socioeconomic classes becomes increasingly difficult. Residents in your neighborhood and those near you are not willfully displacing families in the name of property value. It's a simple, cumulative progression.I find it comical that folks in Kirkwood mock the gentrification in Oakhurst and fancy themselves somehow morally superior, while folks in West End are looking at Grant Park and Kirkwood and thinking the same thing. Bad news: We're all on largely similar trajectories, just at different points in time along that curve. You can pat yourself on the back for living in an economically diverse area all you want. But, that's not going to stop someone with a wad of cash, a bulldozer, and some subway tile backsplashes and from dragging you towards homogeneity one block at a time. It's a tough nut to crack, and you just force an area to remain static through will and want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Lofty and noble goals, which I think you'll find are diametrically opposed to the wheels of capitalism when it comes to real estate. What systematic policies or programs are in place in West End to held this vision of Urban Uptopia come to fruition? When there is good money to be made by replacing small homes with larger and more expensive ones, finding a way to accommodate a wide range of socioeconomic classes becomes increasingly difficult. Residents in your neighborhood and those near you are not willfully displacing families in the name of property value. It's a simple, cumulative progression.I find it comical that folks in Kirkwood mock the gentrification in Oakhurst and fancy themselves somehow morally superior, while folks in West End are looking at Grant Park and Kirkwood and thinking the same thing. Bad news: We're all on largely similar trajectories, just at different points in time along that curve. You can pat yourself on the back for living in an economically diverse area all you want. But, that's not going to stop someone with a wad of cash, a bulldozer, and some subway tile backsplashes and from dragging you towards homogeneity one block at a time. It's a tough nut to crack, and you just force an area to remain static through will and want.
I agree to an extent. Without actual policies in place, gentrification and displacement is inevitable. There needs to be a systematic process and local policies in place to avoid the displacement associated with gentrification, otherwise, the inequalities caused by capitalism will rear their ugly heads. For example, I bought it Grant Park when it was affordable. I could never afford to buy a house where I am now in today's market. There are large infill homes up the street being built selling for over $800,000. $800,000!!!! I think it's crazy, but one has already sold, so the market is there. I'm hoping we're (the middle class) aren't the next ones to be pushed out...

Old 12-02-2015, 09:49 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
I will answer more throughly later, but look at those families that was displaced and ended up living in Clayton county and cause the exact opposite of most the things you mention to happen. The foundation of true community starts with the people;and, not economic colonization, capitalism, and profit. Ask Great Britan how did that work out.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
There does need to be some form for protection from raising property taxes for those on fixed incomes with no criminal record. We need to allow the elderly and others who have been long time residents from getting pushed out, but at the same time we do not need to keep those that commit crimes against their own neighbors. Enforcing that and weeding out the bad apples is a tough line and I have no suggestion at this point.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There does need to be some form for protection from raising property taxes for those on fixed incomes with no criminal record. We need to allow the elderly and others who have been long time residents from getting pushed out, but at the same time we do not need to keep those that commit crimes against their own neighbors. Enforcing that and weeding out the bad apples is a tough line and I have no suggestion at this point.

Atlanta already has protection for the elderly in regards to homestead exemptions and tax relief. Unfortunately, it seems to many people are unaware of it.

I personally agree with other posters, there is no way to stop gentrification. And the fact is that gentrification has already occurred in West End, but to a smaller degree. It is MUCH more expensive to live in that area and the area has been cleaned up substantially over the past 10 years (with some pausing on account of the financial crisis). If the financial crisis had not occured West End would be out of reach today as it was a hot, hot area in 2003-2005 in particular. When I was looking over there in 2007 it was still a rather hot, expensive market and it is much more expensive today and will continue to rise in value and displace lower income to lower middle class residents.

Those who hold onto their homes will be okay, but people like the OP who are thinking that West End is a cheap, nice neighborhood, should get in while they can.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 PM

445 posts, read 516,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
The foundation of true community starts with the people;and, not economic colonization, capitalism, and profit. Ask Great Britan how did that work out.
But red92s wasn't saying that capitalism/profit/gentrification/displacement should be the way; he was saying that that's the way it is. You'd have to have some pretty strong policies in place to prevent it in West End at this point.

I give economic diversity about 5 years in West End. The problems are:
(1) The houses are too nice, from an architectural standpoint
(2) It's on the Beltline, which we've seen is irresistable to young wealthy types
(3) It's got great transit access

Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
But red92s wasn't saying that capitalism/profit/gentrification/displacement should be the way; he was saying that that's the way it is. You'd have to have some pretty strong policies in place to prevent it in West End at this point.

I give economic diversity about 5 years in West End. The problems are:
(1) The houses are too nice, from an architectural standpoint
(2) It's on the Beltline, which we've seen is irresistable to young wealthy types
(3) It's got great transit access
The one thing standing in it's way is schools and YP who want to raise a family, this will a red flag. West End has KIPP and I hope new residents who plan on having kids are receptive of the the school.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:28 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
I'm not going to be one of those blacks complaining about gentrification (aka whites taking over) from the suburbs. If their is going to be gentrification then I want it to be blacks doing the gentrifying which is why my wife and I looking into buying in the West End.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:40 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The one thing standing in it's way is schools and YP who want to raise a family, this will a red flag. West End has KIPP and I hope new residents who plan on having kids are receptive of the the school.
Yes I am aware of the low rated school system and I'm ok with it. My wife and I believe a child with great support from home can excel in a bad public school system.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Yes I am aware of the low rated school system and I'm ok with it. My wife and I believe a child with great support from home can excel in a bad public school system.
Exactly why my wife and I are not afraid of sending our daughter to the Jackson Cluster, instead of fighting to get into Drew Charter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta