Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:10 AM

787 posts, read 968,530 times

Advertisements

Love the location, love the neighborhood but my only issue is the houses, they are just not my style being very old with small yards and driveways. Are their any semi-modern homes in the West End or homes that have been fixed up? If not, I will consider an old fixer-upper for a good price. Any suggestions, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Love the location, love the neighborhood but my only issue is the houses, they are just not my style being very old with small yards and driveways. Are their any semi-modern homes in the West End or homes that have been fixed up? If not, I will consider an old fixer-upper for a good price. Any suggestions, thanks.
The west end is a historic neighborhood, like much of intown Atlanta. What did you expect when buying in a historic area? Any new builds of infill will be a larger home on the same lot, which will lead to smaller yard and possibly no off-street parking.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:17 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The west end is a historic neighborhood, like much of intown Atlanta. What did you expect when buying in a historic area? Any new builds of infill will be a larger home on the same lot, which will lead to smaller yard and possibly no off-street parking.
Nearly all Atlanta residential lots have required off-street parking built into the zoning ordinances. I guess a builder could try and get a variance, but I don't think I've seen a situation locally where someone willingly removed all the off-street parking in order to build a larger home.
http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...ocumentid=2174

Old 11-30-2015, 01:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Nearly all Atlanta residential lots have required off-street parking built into the zoning ordinances. I guess a builder could try and get a variance, but I don't think I've seen a situation locally where someone willingly removed all the off-street parking in order to build a larger home.
http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...ocumentid=2174
If none existed before, then the property would be grandfathered in.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:13 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If none existed before, then the property would be grandfathered in.
Sure, but that's not really a consequence of a builders squeezing big homes on smaller lots.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Looking at some homes on Oak Street they look amazing looking at pictures, going to ride through their today, kinda expensive for the ones that are fixed up though, over 200K.

Last edited by Larry X; 12-01-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 07:44 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,187 times
Larry X, I would most definitely encourage you to do such. West End is an area where people like you whom are vested into the helping the existing black middle class population would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking in that area, Collier Heights, and in current area at homes.

On the homes and the average lot size, I would say the average lot size of 7,500 square feet (0.17 acres). The homes in the area date back to the 1940s between 1960s. The average home prices around that area varies but they are usually in between $55K to $95K.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Look on Oak Street near West End Library. There is a newer sub-division type of area behind Peeples where I was looking at buying a home. They were built in the 1990s so are newer construction for the area but are usually high priced unless they are dilapidated

But FWIW, I would stick with the older homes as they are more solidly built. Many of them have been remodeled and are up to date with kitchens and bathrooms. Also, most of the homes in West End actually have large back yards, so I don't get the whole "small yards" thing.

I know a lot of people in West End and all of them have pretty large yards for an inner city neighborhood. Now if you are talking about a half acre or something, then I can see where you would think the yards were small but practically all of my West End friends have large backyards in particular. And if you think about it, a smaller front yard is nice since you don't have as much grass to mow.

Some other neighborhoods, if you can't find something in West End to consider is Westview, which is not too far from West End and it has "newer" homes that are nice. Many of them aren't updated and you can get a better price for them and just fix them up. Washington Park has some newer homes but the yards in Washington Park are smaller than West End. But you can get a deal in Washington Park versus West End due to it not being as highly in demand. Washington Park, if you look by the actual park also is VERY convenient to MARTA at the Ashby Station and to the Walmart on MLK and the MLK Corridor business district in that area. There is also a lot of development activity slated for that area which would increase potential property value. The park also has a recreation center, which though small, is a nice facility.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:53 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times
http://www.westviewatlanta.com/files...aster-plan.pdf

Westside Trail // Atlanta BeltLine

Old 12-01-2015, 04:07 PM

I really like Oak st, those homes are so cute, probable going to take a tour of one this weekend. Going to look in Westview this week too, any street you suggest I look at in Westview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta