Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 02:17 PM

34 posts, read 62,157 times

Advertisements

I know, another private school admissions thread! I have scoured this website for details on this crazy process over the last few months and the threads I have read have been incredibly helpful.

We are currently navigating the private school admissions process for our two children for the 2016-2017 school year. We have one applying to 1st, and a preschooler who we are applying to the same group of schools that also have a preschool/pre-K program.

We are currently zoned to a high-ranking APS Buckhead public and were set to enroll our child there for kindergarten, but had a change of heart and instead decided to attend a respected "feeder" preschool that has a kindergarten program. It is a very small and nurturing environment that has provided tremendous growth for her academically this year. Due to the timing in our change of strategy, we bypassed the entire application process for the kindergarten expansion year, as she is a late fall birthday (now 6) and is applying to the privates for 1st grade.

My question is specific to the applications process in an expansion vs. non-expansion year. In speaking with admissions staff, I get the impression that they do not get many 1st grade applicants (or upper elementary for that matter). One specifically told me they typically get about 10-20 in a given year, and many (with the exception of Pace and Westminster) cite approx 4-5+ spots that open due to attrition and/or special services (Schenck, Speech school).

I'm keep hearing that it is so hard to gain admission in a non-expansion year, but is that really the case? Our original plan was to do Buckhead public through 5th grade and apply in 6th like so many families do, but to me that seems like such a dicey numbers game. When you consider how many applicants there are from the publics - Jackson, Smith, Morris Brandon, Heards Ferry, E Rivers, etc - and also add-in the privates that stop before grade 12 - Trinity, St. Martins, etc - it seems there would be a TON of applicants for not many spots?! How does that all shake out?

We have cast a wide net and are applying to five schools that we think are a good fit. Any and all admissions success stories from non-expansion years are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckheadmom11 View Post
I know, another private school admissions thread! I have scoured this website for details on this crazy process over the last few months and the threads I have read have been incredibly helpful.

We are currently navigating the private school admissions process for our two children for the 2016-2017 school year. We have one applying to 1st, and a preschooler who we are applying to the same group of schools that also have a preschool/pre-K program.

We are currently zoned to a high-ranking APS Buckhead public and were set to enroll our child there for kindergarten, but had a change of heart and instead decided to attend a respected "feeder" preschool that has a kindergarten program. It is a very small and nurturing environment that has provided tremendous growth for her academically this year. Due to the timing in our change of strategy, we bypassed the entire application process for the kindergarten expansion year, as she is a late fall birthday (now 6) and is applying to the privates for 1st grade.

My question is specific to the applications process in an expansion vs. non-expansion year. In speaking with admissions staff, I get the impression that they do not get many 1st grade applicants (or upper elementary for that matter). One specifically told me they typically get about 10-20 in a given year, and many (with the exception of Pace and Westminster) cite approx 4-5+ spots that open due to attrition and/or special services (Schenck, Speech school).

I'm keep hearing that it is so hard to gain admission in a non-expansion year, but is that really the case? Our original plan was to do Buckhead public through 5th grade and apply in 6th like so many families do, but to me that seems like such a dicey numbers game. When you consider how many applicants there are from the publics - Jackson, Smith, Morris Brandon, Heards Ferry, E Rivers, etc - and also add-in the privates that stop before grade 12 - Trinity, St. Martins, etc - it seems there would be a TON of applicants for not many spots?! How does that all shake out?

We have cast a wide net and are applying to five schools that we think are a good fit. Any and all admissions success stories from non-expansion years are greatly appreciated!

I think the non-expansion years can work out -- but also might not. Esp for first grade, when LDs are not yet noticeable so there is less movement to the schools that serve those kids. St. Martins goes to 8th grade and I think Trinity is pretty unique not having a middle school.

As I said in another post recently, I know very few families who cast a wide net for private middle school who don't land somewhere they are satisfied. It just seems to work out. It only works out though, generally, if you don't have just 1 school in mind. If you do, I think that makes it harder.

There are families at private schools that move their kids after 5th grade too. It is important to note that you really don't know your child at age 4 or 5. What may work at that age may be terrible just a few years later.

I have many friends who selected a school intending it to be k-12 only to find it a terrible fit as the kid got older.

Just today I ran into a neighbor and she was raving about how great her oldest was doing at our local public high school. She laughed as she told the story to me because they had been a private school only family, but he wasn't happy and this is what he wanted to do. (They were among over 100 families who moved their kids from private school to this one public high school this year. So there is always some movement.)

Old 12-11-2015, 04:38 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,755 times
Yes, as LMM states, there is always movement, but maybe not in the grade you're looking for. It's especially difficult when you're trying to move more than one child at the same time if both are non-expansion years. The key is not to put all your eggs in one basket, which it sounds like you've figured out already. One tactic (but you have to be sincere) is to let your first choice school know that you would accept an offer at the drop of a hat. Sometimes, families find out they have to move during the summer and a slot could open up.

It is interesting re: Trinity in particular that 7th grade is a non-expansion grade for most schools, but those sixth graders (Trinity ends at sixth grade) all find a place to land. A couple go public, but the rest find homes in a variety of the "elite" privates. So, it seems to me that slots can be found for applicants who are a good fit.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Yes, as LMM states, there is always movement, but maybe not in the grade you're looking for. It's especially difficult when you're trying to move more than one child at the same time if both are non-expansion years. The key is not to put all your eggs in one basket, which it sounds like you've figured out already. One tactic (but you have to be sincere) is to let your first choice school know that you would accept an offer at the drop of a hat. Sometimes, families find out they have to move during the summer and a slot could open up.

It is interesting re: Trinity in particular that 7th grade is a non-expansion grade for most schools, but those sixth graders (Trinity ends at sixth grade) all find a place to land. A couple go public, but the rest find homes in a variety of the "elite" privates. So, it seems to me that slots can be found for applicants who are a good fit.
At the same time, it is important to know that you should feel no pressure whatsoever to communicate your intentions or "top choice" to a school. According to AAAIS guidelines, for the schools to ask or to imply the question is forbidden. From their guidelines:

"No AAAIS school will advise any applicant of acceptance, denial, or wait-list status prior to the Common Notification Date in early spring, nor will any AAAIS school ask or imply that an applicant should advise the school of a decision prior to the common applicant response date."

There will not be many spots at the top schools in first grade, however, I think by applying to five schools you have covered your bases. You may also want to keep in mind that the observation will be different for a prospective first grader from that of a prospective pre-firster. You should ask what the process will be like at each school.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 17,007 times
I will tell you I've spoken with the admissions director at St. Martin's and specifically there are several openings for 1st grade this coming Fall because they did not have a big kindergarten class this year. If that's worth anything.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckheadmom11 View Post

Not sure what more can be added. Go for it is the only option it sounds like you hahave (other than applying to even more than five, which sounds like it will already be an ordeal for you and your children). Good luck!

I would recommend not letting them know you think four other schools are also a good fit and you are applying to five or even that you are applying to any other schools (you may have a parent interview - I know Paideia does a parent interview - and they may ask).

Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 17,007 times
I'm really surprised more schools don't do a parent interview. You'd think they would want as much information as they can get.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolATL View Post
I'm really surprised more schools don't do a parent interview. You'd think they would want as much information as they can get.
I know one year, the one school my child got rejected from was the one that required the parent interview. Maybe I should have spit out my skoal bandit before I went in?

Old 12-11-2015, 05:48 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times
The Paideia app is really funny. It asks as much about the parent as it does about the child. Go figure.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:57 PM

34 posts, read 62,157 times
Thank you all, we definitely are not putting all our eggs in one basket and feel like we have a good mix of harder to get in "elite" schools and those we think we have a pretty good shot at.

I also am surprised more schools do not require a parent interview, I know Galloway does as part of their process for all ages (3's - HS), though it is on the smaller side. I suspect most schools have too many applicants to make interviews feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta