Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times

Advertisements

Many of the Gen X folks I know have kids in middle school or high school who will be out of here in a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
"Cockroach-esque rate"? Do you have any idea what the average number of children per family is these days? It is less than the replacement rate the last time I checked.
Do you have any idea what previous generations means?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I have to disagree with the idea that "hard work" is that important. I know that's a popular affluent-parent buzzword in gentrifying/gentrified neighborhoods, but I think it's overemphasized.

Candler Park schools didn't get "good" because people worked hard at improving them, they got "good" because affluent students (who don't have much trouble passing standardized tests) were sent there in large numbers and the numbers of poor students (who do have trouble passing standardized tests) dwindled. The same is slowly happening in SE Atlanta schools, and "hard work" and "parental involvement" don't have much to do with it. It's true that affluent parents are more involved in schools (in America at least PTAs and bake sales: Why volunteering at your kid’s school does not make her smarter.), but you could ban all parental involvement at Oakhurst or Mary Lin Elementaries, and the test scores are still going to be sky-high.
I agree that demographics are important but the "hard work" element counts, too.

However, that involves a lot more than just going to PTA. You've got to to make the whole community stronger. That means more parks, more civic engagement, better policing, fostering economic growth, youth sports, getting rid of debris and trash, traffic control, the whole shebang.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:59 AM

994 posts, read 1,533,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Do you have any idea what previous generations means?
Then what is your point? How does the birth rate of prior generations have anything to do with today?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Many of the Gen X folks I know have kids in middle school or high school who will be out of here in a few more years.
True. I'd go further and say that many Gen-Xers who are in their late 40s and beyond have grown children who are in college or even past that. Younger (mid-late 30s) Xer parents tend to have kids in elementary and middle school.

Again, if the Millennials aren't having kids by the time they're in their late 30s, the odds are unlikely that they will be having them. Thus, schools may be closing or consolidating in another 15-20 years.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
True. I'd go further and say that many Gen-Xers who are in their late 40s and beyond have grown children who are in college or even past that. Younger (mid-late 30s) Xer parents tend to have kids in elementary and middle school.

Again, if the Millennials aren't having kids by the time they're in their late 30s, the odds are unlikely that they will be having them. Thus, schools may be closing or consolidating in another 15-20 years.
Yep. If the millennials don't have children they may find themselves dealing with all kinds of complex issues.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,716,202 times
Quote:

My neighborhood is literally crawling with babies right now. I'm not sure if I'm noticing it more than in the past because I also have a baby, or if there is a baby boom among Millenials in this area right now. Either way, all of these babies will be growing up, and the majority will be entering SE Atlanta's public schools (since the Charter school can only take so many kids). I agree that the Jackson cluster is currently and will continue to drastically improve, and a big part of that (unfortunately) is going to be attributable to demographic shifts. Although even now, when schools in the cluster are predominantly lower income, the investment in terms of money, resources, and community involvement is having noticeable positive results.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
My neighborhood is literally crawling with babies right now. I'm not sure if I'm noticing it more than in the past because I also have a baby, or if there is a baby boom among Millenials in this area right now. Either way, all of these babies will be growing up, and the majority will be entering SE Atlanta's public schools (since the Charter school can only take so many kids). I agree that the Jackson cluster is currently and will continue to drastically improve, and a big part of that (unfortunately) is going to be attributable to demographic shifts. Although even now, when schools in the cluster are predominantly lower income, the investment in terms of money, resources, and community involvement is having noticeable positive results.
You do tend to notice babies and kids more when you are actually a parent yourself, so there may be something there. As gentrification continues, any public schools in those affected areas will continue to improve, no doubt. However, there will likely be a number of parents who choose not to wait it out or hope for the best, and they will move elsewhere, where the schools are already "good." There will also be some who stay there and will see how the schools serve their kids before making a decision. This issue really seems to come to a head after the elementary years.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM
JPD

Quote:
Then what is your point? How does the birth rate of prior generations have anything to do with today?
You seem to be suggesting that it's a problem that there aren't as many children being born as there were at other times in the past. I disagree. I see this as a positive development that will be much easier to adapt to than if the opposite were occurring.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep. If the millennials don't have children they may find themselves dealing with all kinds of complex issues.
Like what? Too many vacations and dinners out? Early retirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta