Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The good thing about Georgia is that normally there is no need to carry a weapon. Stay away from dangerous places and you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Hmmm unless the danger comes looking for you...
I was shocked at how many home invasions this city of atlanta had in 2015..
When we moved here in 2014 I was alarmed at this high rate.
Yep, Per Capita, Atlanta is more dangerous than Chicago or Chiraq as some like to call it.

You never know when you'll need it so carrying IMO is mandatory in today's world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ple_.282014.29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 12:24 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I've gone for periods of 20 years at a time without carrying and never had a problem. My mother and grandmother never carried in their entire lives and they went all over the place. Same with everybody else I know, for that matter.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:41 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
I've gone for periods of 20 years at a time without carrying and never had a problem. My mother and grandmother never carried in their entire lives and they went all over the place. Same with everybody else I know, for that matter.
I've also never needed to use the fire extinguishers I keep in my house and car...

Old 01-01-2016, 01:06 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
If only you'd had a loaded gun with you at all times, and everyone else had hundreds of guns everywhere too, then you'd have been safe!

You know, especially in places that serve alcohol, and wherever kids are around, and libraries. Need more guns everywhere, especially more hidden and concealed ones. That way, when there's a disagreement, we can quickly escalate the situation and kill whoever are our various enemies. (Unless they shoot us first.)

I do believe in a basic right to purchase and own a gun, particularly if you live in a rural area. But I just do not personally share conservatives' view that a prevalence of handheld killing machines is the way to make society any safer. Sounds to me more like 2,000 tragedies a day waiting to happen.

Chicago's murder rates having nothing to do with liberal gun policies or conservative gun policies. Has to do with poverty, an unbelievably ridiculous and pointless war against drugs, and general lack of American giving a crap about education and jobs and any kind of safety net or a more fair distribution of our vast wealth.

Not saying that anyone in thread implied that, but just saying.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:13 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Have carried since I was 21 and will continue to do so. Current carry weapon is a Walther PPQ.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You're joking right? The Federal government sets certain standards, which Georgia follows and doesn't add to, that prevent certain people from either gaining a carry permit, or even possessing a firearm. Like being a felon, history of domestic violence, restraining order, been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution, etc.
Sense of humor, dude. Jeez.

Yes, I know that felons and those with diagnosed mental illnesses can't possess them. But outside of that, there's no requirement for training, testing, knowledge, competency, or anything of the sort. Any person who can fill out a form and afford barely more than a nice meal out, can now legally carry a firearm in public. I find that ridiculous.

Quote:
The good thing about Georgia is that normally there is no need to carry a weapon. Stay away from dangerous places and you should be fine.
I've never owned a firearm, and haven't held one in probably 30 years. Just have no reason to. And I've lived in Memphis and Atlanta for the most part, two highly-rated dangerous cities. And I've traveled to most American cities as well (in addition to numerous foreign countries). I've just never felt that there was any need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yep, Per Capita, Atlanta is more dangerous than Chicago or Chiraq as some like to call it.

You never know when you'll need it so carrying IMO is mandatory in today's world.
Sorry you feel that way. How much of your time do you spend worrying about what might happen to you or being scared of those around you?

On another forum I frequent, one of the prolific gun nuts carries distractions with him that he can use to distract the attention of would-be robbers while he then draws and shoots them. I cannot imagine being that paranoid of the world.

Quote:
I've also never needed to use the fire extinguishers I keep in my house and car...
Do you carry one with you at all times?

Old 01-02-2016, 02:17 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Those things aren't deadly weapons, Matt.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Sense of humor, dude. Jeez.
Not one thing humorous about your statement.
Quote:
Yes, I know that felons and those with diagnosed mental illnesses can't possess them. But outside of that, there's no requirement for training, testing, knowledge, competency, or anything of the sort. Any person who can fill out a form and afford barely more than a nice meal out, can now legally carry a firearm in public. I find that ridiculous.
Yea well I find it ridiculous that there's no requirement for training, testing, knowledge, competency, or anything of the sort for posting on the internet.
Quote:
I've never owned a firearm, and haven't held one in probably 30 years. Just have no reason to. And I've lived in Memphis and Atlanta for the most part, two highly-rated dangerous cities. And I've traveled to most American cities as well (in addition to numerous foreign countries). I've just never felt that there was any need for it.
Good for you. I certainly hope your utopian view of life continues for you.
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. How much of your time do you spend worrying about what might happen to you or being scared of those around you?
He never said he's scared, any more than you're scared because you have home/life/car insurance, or a fire extinguisher, or first aid kit.
Quote:
On another forum I frequent, one of the prolific gun nuts carries distractions with him that he can use to distract the attention of would-be robbers while he then draws and shoots them. I cannot imagine being that paranoid of the world.
Right, I highly doubt that.
Quote:
Do you carry one with you at all times?
That's where the comparison ends. A fire isn't trying to kill you and the extra few seconds needed to access one isn't going to present any significantly greater threat to your life.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:32 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
True, fire extinguishers are not deadly weapons.

Still, if somebody carried one with them all the time and wanted to bring it into places where my family and I live, shop, go to school, church, etc., I'd be curious as to why they were so worried about a fire suddenly breaking out.

And even though a fire extinguisher isn't a lethal weapon, I'd want to know know something about the status of the device and whether the person carrying it had training, experience, insurance and so forth. The thing might not kill you but it could sure make a mess.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: