Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It's basically the same thing as a green left turn light so I don't get the confusion, though maybe a flashing green light would've made more sense for most people. For me yellow means caution, but most people fly through yellow lights.
No, it doesn't.

Solid green arrow means you have the right of way.

Flashing yellow arrow means you are allowed to turn but must yield the right of way to oncoming traffic.

I have no idea what a flashing green would mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times
I still maintain it's a good idea, that works. At least once people get used to it.

The flashing yellow light essentially makes it as if the intersection had no turn arrow, so the rule is that you can turn left on green light but you have to yield. This setting was not available before at intersections that have a turn arrow (which is most everywhere in the suburbs, less in the city). The only settings without this new setting, are red for 'you can't turn even if you could', and green arrow where you have the right of way but oncoming traffic has to wait at a red light.

I like it.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I still maintain it's a good idea, that works. At least once people get used to it.

The flashing yellow light essentially makes it as if the intersection had no turn arrow, so the rule is that you can turn left on green light but you have to yield. This setting was not available before at intersections that have a turn arrow (which is most everywhere in the suburbs, less in the city). The only settings without this new setting, are red for 'you can't turn even if you could', and green arrow where you have the right of way but oncoming traffic has to wait at a red light.

I like it.
Protected left turn signal.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
No, it doesn't.

Solid green arrow means you have the right of way.

Flashing yellow arrow means you are allowed to turn but must yield the right of way to oncoming traffic.

I have no idea what a flashing green would mean.
The old solid green meant yield. Back then there was only two light phases, either one road would be green or the other would be. Now we have a system where lights change by directions. A flashing green light would be the same as yellow, since many associate green with being able to go, and yellow with not missing the light.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The old solid green meant yield. Back then there was only two light phases, either one road would be green or the other would be. Now we have a system where lights change by directions. A flashing green light would be the same as yellow, since many associate green with being able to go, and yellow with not missing the light.
Green means drivers have the right of way and can go. The flashing yellow and corresponding signage, let's left turning drivers know they must yield to TheU traffic. Same as a signal that is on flash. The yellow phase on signals does not flashing.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Green means drivers have the right of way and can go. The flashing yellow and corresponding signage, let's left turning drivers know they must yield to TheU traffic. Same as a signal that is on flash. The yellow phase on signals does not flashing.
I was talking about the old system people are used to.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
In this city, people don't even know how to deal with flashing yellow or red lights, either. I wouldn't expect them to understand the flashing yellow arrows, either.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

I like it.
You don't want to be traveling 40MPH through your green light while someone is having trouble getting used to that flashing yellow arrow on the other end.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
You don't want to be traveling 40MPH through your green light while someone is having trouble getting used to that flashing yellow arrow on the other end.
No surface roads in metro Atlanta should be higher than 35mph.
Also, when they convert to the new flashing yellow arrow a sign is always installed.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No surface roads in metro Atlanta should be higher than 35mph.
Also, when they convert to the new flashing yellow arrow a sign is always installed.
So, you don't see how the bottom 1% of drivers might misinterpret a flashing yellow arrow the first time they see it, and rush through the light at night? Do you really want to be going through the other side of that light at 35MPH when they screw up? Some folks are alert, cautious and see well, others are the opposite. I want traffic signals to be as close to idiot-proof as possible--I just don't think these signals meet that standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta