Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 AM

222 posts, read 242,970 times

Advertisements

A recent home renovation/expansion on a lot nearby. 700 sq ft. 2/1 home now is a 2000 sq ft. 4/3. Asking over $430k.

Do the following design features and properties issues seem odd?

Master on 2nd floor
2nd floor carpet/1st floor hardwoods
Washer/Dryer on 1st floor
Rear Driveway, Accessible via rear easement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:10 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
A recent home renovation/expansion on a lot nearby. 700 sq ft. 2/1 home now is a 2000 sq ft. 4/3. Asking over $430k.

Master on 2nd floor A little odd depending on character of home
2nd floor carpet/1st floor hardwoods Not odd at all
Washer/Dryer on 1st floor Not odd at all
Rear Driveway, Accessible via rear easement Need to see site plan, but probably unimportant

Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:

Master on 2nd floor
2nd floor carpet/1st floor hardwoods
Washer/Dryer on 1st floor
Our house, also new construction but a bit larger than 2000 sf, has all of these features. The first two were must-haves for us, and the last two were not must-haves but were certainly our strong preferences. So, in my view, none of these are odd at all.

My wife and I both agree that we don't even want to think about a master-on-main until stairs are too difficult for us, and hopefully that's many, many years away. We much prefer an upstairs master as it allows for a larger entertaining space - unless you have a large ranch or a two-plus story house with a large footprint on the main floor, chances are that a master on the main is going to eat up a lot of your main floor. We saw this the other night when we were over to a neighbor's house for dinner... Their house actually is slightly larger than ours, but they have a relatively small entertaining space because about half of their main floor is taken up by the master suite. Perhaps even more importantly, having the master upstairs provides important noise and visual separation from the public part of the house. If I want to have friends over for football or something, we can watch the game and cheer without disturbing my wife upstairs, if she's not interested in the game.

Carpet and Hardwoods are also personal preferences, of course. I prefer the look and feel of hardwood on the main level, but when I get out of bed in the middle of the night, I prefer the feel and warmth of carpet on my toes.

Washer/dryer on the first floor comes down to personal preference as well. I can't see a situation where you'd have the laundry upstairs and the master on the main, so if the laundry is upstairs, the master probably is, too. This is undoubtedly a bit more convenient from the perspective of hauling laundry, but it might also be a noise issue for you, particularly if it is right next to the bedroom. Moreover, if there's a washing machine overflow or broken hose, you're probably looking at much more significant damage to your home if the laundry is upstairs... Gravity is not your friend in this situation. (My parents are in the fire and water damage restoration business and this is probably their most common water damage job. People go out of town for the weekend, washing machine hose bursts upstairs, ruins upstairs floors and then the ceiling downstairs falls and everything downstairs is severely damaged, too.) Of course, this can largely be avoided by turning the washer off after each use, but most people don't bother to do that. (We do.)

Rear garages are unusual here, but preferable in my opinion. Nothing messes up the curb appeal of an otherwise attractive house than slapping a big garage door on the front, as far as I am concerned. If you're lucky enough to have an alley behind your house, or a driveway off to the side on the front but leading to the rear, a rear-entry garage is the way to go, in my opinion.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Master on 2nd is the predominant style near me including my house. I'm up til midnight while my parents are in bed no late than 10. Really helps from a noise standpoint.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
We have an additional rear driveway and I really like it. It's only partially paved and I like the "dirt road" feel more than the front driveway.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:27 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
None of these sound odd to me. I prefer master on 2nd floor bc I have young kids and I need to be where they are. Rear drives are not unusual near me in our 100 year old neighborhood. Many streets were designed with an alley and driveways in the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta