Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:45 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Did you really just ask that question?
Well, who do you think their retail base would be? I seriously doubt that the locals are going to shop there in significant numbers, and I'm not sure Atlanta attracts that many out of town shoppers.

Last edited by arjay57; 08-30-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 07:55 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Only thing I ever see with a decent crowd over there is shake shack.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:02 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, who do you think their retail base would be? I seriously that the locals are going to shop there in significant numbers, and I'm not sure Atlanta attracts that many out of town shoppers.
Take a guess.

1. Tyrone from Bankhead that works at MARTA
2. Rebecca from Cobb County that lives in a trailer park
3. Susan in Dunwoody that has over $800k in her bank account and loves the finer things in life

What you are really saying is you cant afford it so everyone else shouldnt be able to afford it. Just because you either don't want or can't afford luxury items doesnt mean everyone in the state of Georgia is the same way. Stop thinking your lifestyle and bank account balance is the same as everyone in the metro area. Everyone is different. Some people like smoking dope, other people dont. Some people like shopping at Dollar Tree, others like shopping at COS. Just because you like shopping at K mart doesn't mean everyone else like going there. Btw I dont shop there because I dont care about luxury stuff but im not that naive to believe my lifestyle is the same as everyone in a metro area of over 5 million people

Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Take a guess.

3. Susan in Dunwoody that has over $800k in her bank account and loves the finer things in life

What you are really saying is you cant afford it so everyone else shouldnt be able to afford it. Just because you either don't want or can't afford luxury items doesnt mean everyone in the state of Georgia is the same way. Stop thinking your lifestyle and bank account balance is the same as everyone in the metro area. Everyone is different. Some people like smoking dope, other people dont. Some people like shopping at Dollar Tree, others like shopping at COS. Just because you like shopping at K mart doesn't mean everyone else like going there
Becky with that good hair?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Take a guess.

What you are really saying is you cant afford it so everyone else shouldnt be able to afford it. Just because you either don't want or can't afford luxury items doesnt mean everyone in the state of Georgia is the same way. Stop thinking your lifestyle and bank account balance is the same as everyone in the metro area. Everyone is different. Some people like smoking dope, other people dont. Some people like shopping at Dollar Tree, others like shopping at COS. Just because you like shopping at K mart doesn't mean everyone else like going there. Btw I dont shop there because I dont care about luxury stuff but im not that naive to believe my lifestyle is the same as everyone in a metro area of over 5 million people
You already know being contrary for the sake of being it is that one's M.O... I wouldn't even entertain that foolishness.

Buckhead Atlanta target is most of the (interior) Southeast. The intent was to continue the draw from other areas outside of Atlanta into the city. However, it is running into competition these days from other Southern cities like Nashville, Charlotte, and Birmingham with their upscale or upper tier super-regional retail districts.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You already know being contrary for the sake of being it is that one's M.O... I wouldn't even entertain that foolishness.

Buckhead Atlanta target is most of the (interior) Southeast. The intent was to continue the draw from other areas outside of Atlanta into the city. However, it is running into competition these days from other Southern cities like Nashville, Charlotte, and Birmingham with their upscale or upper tier super-regional retail districts.
Like we have said dozens of other times on here Atlanta has more annual visitors than nearly the entire state of TX annually. BA has stores our smaller regional cities dont have. Unless people are going to Miami for luxury shopping Atlanta is the closest choice for that

Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Take a guess.

No, I'm not saying that at all.

There will obviously be some shoppers from the ATL, but my guess is that they are mainly banking on regional customers.

However, as jero says, there's a lot of competition for that audience these days, and Atlanta isn't the only game in the southeast any more.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Like we have said dozens of other times on here Atlanta has more annual visitors than nearly the entire state of TX annually. BA has stores our smaller regional cities dont have. Unless people are going to Miami for luxury shopping Atlanta is the closest choice for that
It's funny you mentioned that... Ironically, Charlotte (SouthPark), Nashville (Green Hills), and Birmingham (The Summit) have basically opened most of the stores that would appeal to that base. The exclusive things at Buckhead Atlanta at the moment are mainly restaurants, but this upper end H&M brand might be first stand out.

I know a couple of people whom will do exactly that go to Miami to go luxury shopping for specialized items.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM

I'm not a fashion person but I assume you can find most of these stores at any upscale mall. Is that not the case?

The Shops Buckhead Atlanta | OliverMcMillan

Old 08-30-2016, 01:32 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post

You're right those cities you mentioned will have those high end brands available in one of their department stores or specialty stores. While there won't be as extensive a selection available as one would find in the company owned store like Tom Ford, it's not as if the shoppers in those cities have to travel all the way to Atlanta to buy those brands. Nashville and Charlotte both have Nordstrom. Birmingham has a Saks Fifth Avenue in addition to several smaller high end specialty stores like Gus Mayer. Charlotte also has a Neiman Marcus. Nashville's The Mall at Green Hills (home of Nordstrom) has a pretty extensive collection of high end brands and with the growth the area is experiencing, I wouldn't be surprised if a Neiman Marcus or Saks also located there, too.

The challenge which Shops of Buckhead Atlanta faces is that it doesn't have an anchor store and when people are doing shopping, particularly Christmas gift shopping, they would like to go to some place like Lenox or Phipps which has a large selection, with big department stores. They're not usually thinking, "I just want to go to the Hermes and Tom Ford stores."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta