Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,110 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan to retire in the next 3 years. We have been all over the country and have been looking for a place to settle after retirement. We are retiring pretty young (late 40s, early 50s), but we currently live in the suburbs of Chicago and do not want to stay here with the crime, housing prices, crazy taxes, did I say crime? The housing taxes have gone so out of control, we can barely afford our mortgage anymore and we both work full time. We've stayed in the Blue Ridge Mountains a few times now, and really like it. We stayed mostly in Helen, but have visited Blue Ridge, Hiawassee and Blairsville and just fell in love, not only with the scenery, but the feel of the towns. My husband is a Gulf War Veteran and has problems with gout and osteoarthritis. I've also got arthritis in my spine, so we really are trying to stay away from extremes weatherwise. We'd love to live in San Diego with the weather but that's out of our price range, to say the least. Could someone give us some insight into the winter/summer temps in these areas? I've gotten conflicting reports of extreme cold in the winter and extremely hot summers, to moderate summer/winters to ice storms and brutal snowstorms. We aren't looking for that much, I don't think. We just want a place to retire to where our bones won't hurt as much, people are friendly (we've never had a problem making friends really anywhere), we can feel safe and we can actually afford to live. Chicago winters can be pretty brutal and the summers aren't too much fun for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:37 PM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
Here are the averages:

Month Low High
Jan 33.5°F 51.9°F
Feb 36.5°F 56.8°F
Mar 43.6°F 65.0°F
Apr 50.4°F 72.9°F
May 59.5°F 80.0°F
Jun 67.1°F 86.5°F
Jul 70.6°F 89.4°F
Aug 69.9°F 87.9°F
Sept 64.3°F 82.3°F
Oct 52.8°F 72.9°F
Nov 43.5°F 63.3°F
Dec 36.2°F 54.6°F

Atlanta experiences all 4 seasons, but winters are shorter and milder than up north. Especially when compared to Chicago. Atlanta averages snow or freezing rain a few times every winter, but it usually doesn't stick. The northern suburbs and North Georgia mountains get more snow than the southern suburbs. Many times the snow line is I-20.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Blue Ridge is a nice area, but it can get pretty cold up there in the Mountains. Not Chicago cold, but far from San Diego type weather.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/30513:4:US

Not sure if you're into the Ocean, but if so, have you looked at Hilton Head? >https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USSC0155:1:US

Old 09-05-2016, 02:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,381 times
Default Too crowded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann00 View Post
My husband and I plan to retire in the next 3 years. We have been all over the country and have been looking for a place to settle after retirement. We are retiring pretty young (late 40s, early 50s), but we currently live in the suburbs of Chicago and do not want to stay here with the crime, housing prices, crazy taxes, did I say crime? The housing taxes have gone so out of control, we can barely afford our mortgage anymore and we both work full time. We've stayed in the Blue Ridge Mountains a few times now, and really like it. We stayed mostly in Helen, but have visited Blue Ridge, Hiawassee and Blairsville and just fell in love, not only with the scenery, but the feel of the towns. My husband is a Gulf War Veteran and has problems with gout and osteoarthritis. I've also got arthritis in my spine, so we really are trying to stay away from extremes weatherwise. We'd love to live in San Diego with the weather but that's out of our price range, to say the least. Could someone give us some insight into the winter/summer temps in these areas? I've gotten conflicting reports of extreme cold in the winter and extremely hot summers, to moderate summer/winters to ice storms and brutal snowstorms. We aren't looking for that much, I don't think. We just want a place to retire to where our bones won't hurt as much, people are friendly (we've never had a problem making friends really anywhere), we can feel safe and we can actually afford to live. Chicago winters can be pretty brutal and the summers aren't too much fun for us.

Blairsville is now crowded and crime has gone up. I recommend moving to Puerto Rico. GA is the most corrupt govt in the US.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:44 AM

459 posts, read 475,016 times
I'd be careful on retiring in the mountains. I think it's nice as well, but lots of drugs and I think the health care is not ideal either. In fact, I know the healthcare is down right bad from our experiences. It does have great scenery, like you mentioned. You have to keep in mind there are trade offs. If you're from the Chicagoland area you're use to mainly decent schools, decent hospitals, a lot higher taxes, and decent educated public. You get down in mountains a lot of that disappears. You'll have a lot lower taxes, lovely weather a majority of the year and lots of great scenery. If you're willing to accept the trade offs. I say go for it. Make sure you are completely aware of the trade offs and are willing to accept them! One thing I learned over the years is to talk to a number of locals and get their thoughts and opinions of the area and how or if it's changed! I would not waste my time talking to a trained professional who's job it is to get your business and sugar coat bad things and tell you how great everything is when in reality it's bad. If you're in the mountains you'll probably be going to Atlanta surrounding area for health care. Next, if you're in the mountains you'll probably be on well water, have a septic tank, slower internet, and propane. Do you know how to maintain and test the well water? How often you should have the septic tank pumped out? Internet will either be through your phone company or through Satellite. You could use your cellphone as a mobile hot spot. Keep in mind you'll also get a steady dose of Cletus, Gomer, Betty Lou Sue, and Clay Junior up in the mountains. A number of them are still fighting the Civil War. Finally, a lot want to retire up in the Mountains and it is becoming ever more increasingly crowded, will you want to be their in twenty years, since you're retiring young? Big decision for you guys ahead and I hope you guys make the right decision and everything works out. Thanks

Last edited by ipkl07; 09-05-2016 at 06:00 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
My wife and I are in Blue Ridge for the long weekend. Have a place here and try to get up here from Atlanta as often as possible. The weather is nice - not too hot, not too cold. Lake Blue Ridge is gorgeous and there are many other outdoor activities available. The town itself is quaint and pretty and the folks who live here are generally very nice. The one time I had the misfortune of needing urgent medical care, I found the hospital and its staff to be knowledgeable and effective.

After having spent so much time here over the last 10 years, I would not hesitate retiring to the area.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:18 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocks22 View Post
Blairsville is now crowded and crime has gone up. I recommend moving to Puerto Rico. GA is the most corrupt govt in the US.
Oh, for heaven's sake...

Old 09-08-2016, 01:16 PM

35 posts, read 170,558 times
Perhaps look into some of the NE GA towns on the I-85 corridor. You have greater health care, dining, shopping, and entertainment options that way while still being able to enjoy lake and mountain views.

Stephens County / Toccoa area for instance. At the foothills of the mountains, so you don't necessarily have the snow and colder winters, but you still have hiking, waterfalls, mountains, and Lake Hartwell. There are decent healthcare options, and a downtown which has been beautifully re-vitalized. Plus, you can quickly be on I-85 to get to anything you could possibly need in an hour or less, and are not far from Dahlonga, Helen, Blue Ridge, etc to take those true mountain excursions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta