U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Ca$hville via Atlanta
2,328 posts, read 1,959,454 times
Reputation: 1945

Advertisements

As we know all of Metro Atlanta's largest Counties have a Police department, Sheriff Dept., as well as the Municipalities have Police Departments. This includes Fulton, Henry, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Clayton and Cobb counties. Why is that and what are the Major Difference between having just a Sheriff Department like say Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth and Cherokee Counties. It there a real major benefit or difference in having County Police vs having just a Sheriff and City Police.. Side note to this, some Consolidated City-County Governments like Macon and Augusta have only a Sheriff Department servicing the entire County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,728 posts, read 20,658,060 times
Reputation: 5637
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
As we know all of Metro Atlanta's largest Counties have a Police department, Sheriff Dept., as well as the Municipalities have Police Departments. This includes Fulton, Henry, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Clayton and Cobb counties. Why is that and what are the Major Difference between having just a Sheriff Department like say Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth and Cherokee Counties. It there a real major benefit or difference in having County Police vs having just a Sheriff and City Police.. Side note to this, some Consolidated City-County Governments like Macon and Augusta have only a Sheriff Department servicing the entire County.
County PD serve municipal police dept roles. Sheriff's Dept. serve courthouse, jail, and warranty. Then some have marshall's as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 05:54 AM
 
1,930 posts, read 1,760,764 times
Reputation: 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
County PD serve municipal police dept roles. Sheriff's Dept. serve courthouse, jail, and warranty. Then some have marshall's as well.
This sounds about right. It's been awhile since I worked with a county SO, but that's how it was with counties that had both.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,708 posts, read 19,542,690 times
Reputation: 10064
I've always been under the impression that having a county police department was redundant because the county sheriff department is legally able to provide all the same services in the state of Georgia. This might not be the case in other states, however.

Oddly, Savannah-Chatham County has a consolidated police department (S-C Metro Police) despite not having consolidated city County government. Jacksonville, on the other hand, has no police department. The Duval County Sheriffs Department provides all police duties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Ca$hville via Atlanta
2,328 posts, read 1,959,454 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've always been under the impression that having a county police department was redundant because the county sheriff department is legally able to provide all the same services in the state of Georgia. This might not be the case in other states, however.

Oddly, Savannah-Chatham County has a consolidated police department (S-C Metro Police) despite not having consolidated city County government. Jacksonville, on the other hand, has no police department. The Duval County Sheriffs Department provides all police duties.
That's the same thing with Macon-Bibb as well as Augusta-Richmond, they only have Sheriffs that does all that police do that why it can be a bit confusing... In Henry County I'm thinking the City of Stockbridge doesn't have a Police department and Henry County police serve the city. Seems different and on a County by County bases though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 06:54 PM
 
1,930 posts, read 1,760,764 times
Reputation: 1622
It is different with each county. I worked north of Cobb and we just had a SO. We did everything. Cobb is much larger population wise so they had two. The SO handled the jail and warrents and code enforcement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,862 posts, read 3,271,511 times
Reputation: 1456
I cannot really tell who has jurisdiction over what. I really have not gotten many tickets in life, but I somehow go a ticket from a sheriff on the cusp of the Sandy Springs/Atlanta (Buckhead) line.


It did not really make a difference to me, but of things I found confusing, I would have thought it would be a normal police officer and not a sheriff. I don't know if where I expect the sheriffs to be, but I guess on the highway and not on the streets.


I think it does truly vary by location even within a city or county.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 10:02 PM
 
Location: I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta
1,318 posts, read 1,668,763 times
Reputation: 592
Has anyone ever flirted with the idea of having a combined metropolitan police department? It would seem smarter, cheaper and more efficient to have one department that serves the entire region than many smaller departments serving many different municipalities and counties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Georgia
3,989 posts, read 3,834,263 times
Reputation: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Has anyone ever flirted with the idea of having a combined metropolitan police department? It would seem smarter, cheaper and more efficient to have one department that serves the entire region than many smaller departments serving many different municipalities and counties.
On paper it would, but I find the smaller city departments doing better patrolling than the County departments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Ca$hville via Atlanta
2,328 posts, read 1,959,454 times
Reputation: 1945
I sometimes wonder was Henry thinking ahead of time on it's growth. Its the only 2nd Tier County with a Police Department. Other than that only Fulton, DeKalb , Clayton , Cobb and Gwinnett have Police Departments in the Metro Area which are all Core counties. All others just have Sheriff Departments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top