Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:26 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think the Atlanta boosterism is getting a little out of control.

So let's be clear: the recent renovations to North Atlanta High School made it tolerable.

The schools in Buckhead have gotten to the point where people who can't afford public school are starting to just use them instead of moving to suburbs. But those who can afford private school, by and large, still send their kids there.

This applies to Sutton and North Atlanta. The elementary schools listed are fine.

You are incorrect and you are stuck in the 1990s. Do more research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
If you want your children to have a worldly view on life, North Atlanta High isn't bad, especially academically. Wherever you move, I just believe that public schools leave children more open minded and gives them a true view of all income levels and leaves them more educated on social issues.

North Atlanta High is actually good.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:52 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Well, I did some quick research here: North Atlanta High School in ATLANTA, GA | Best High Schools | US News

If you think a school that has a student body of 52% economically disadvantaged kids where only 46% of the population tested proficient in mathematics is good, perhaps we just have differing viewpoints of the word good.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
I live in the Chamblee/Brookhaven area and our street features natives of 4 continents. Very diverse around here culturally, even economically because of being near to Buford Highway and several apartment complexes.

The suburbs further out are actually quite diverse as well. Seems less so now "intown." Last time I had brunch in Virginia Highlands, it was all white people with strollers walking around.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM

31 posts, read 29,070 times
For detached housing styles, generally Atlanta has traditional architecture. I recommend you look at one of the school websites such as SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance, find some schools that meet the demographics that interests you, and then look at homes/lifestyle in those areas.

Atlanta is spread out, due to the lack of geographical boundaries. It has had incredible growth since I originally moved here in 1980. Georgia has small counties, with the exception of Fulton county. As a consequence, the area doesn't have the cohesiveness of other large cities I've visited. There was no real master planning of parks, public transit, or roads and it's a very car dependent area. Previously there were isolated small towns and now you can't tell when you leave one and travel to
another! Many of the towns have attempted to develop a more live/work/play community however most are very small, especially compared to much of the east coast.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Well, I did some quick research here: North Atlanta High School in ATLANTA, GA | Best High Schools | US News

If you think a school that has a student body of 52% economically disadvantaged kids where only 46% of the population tested proficient in mathematics is good, perhaps we just have differing viewpoints of the word good.
US News for schools? Ok...

Old 01-08-2016, 07:30 PM

445 posts, read 516,342 times
Quote:

36.91% are eligible for free or reduced lunch at North Atlanta as of Oct. 2015 (U.S. News has the 2012 numbers, for some reason).

The test performance scores are similarly old (North Atlanta High School in ATLANTA, GA | Test Scores | US NewsI don't think OP's kids will have problems testing proficient on the Georgia tests. Even that year 90% of the non-economically-disadvantaged kids were proficient).

Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:

So let's be clear: the recent renovations to North Atlanta High School made it tolerable.

I think calling it "sought after" is a bit of a stretch. Actually, why mince words? It's a total stretch. Let's not forget that eleven teachers in Atlanta Public Schools received racketeering charges just last year for cheating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant...eating_scandal

The schools in Buckhead have gotten to the point where people who can't afford public school are starting to just use them instead of moving to suburbs. But those who can afford private school, by and large, still send their kids there.

This applies to Sutton and North Atlanta. The elementary schools listed are fine.
Quote:

These comments raise an important point...

An APS (Atlanta Public Schools system) school like North Atlanta High School may have a relatively high amount of economically disadvantaged students and depressed mathematics scores overall, but the stats that you cited are pretty indicative of many public schools in and near the urban core of the Atlanta metro region (highly-regarded urban schools with a very high-degree of socioeconomic diversity like North Atlanta HS, Grady HS, North Springs HS, Chamblee HS, Marietta HS, Wheeler HS, etc).

The thing that should be noted is that a school like North Atlanta High School, while it may not necessarily have the same academic statistics like some of the more suburban (and arguably less socioeconomically diverse) schools in areas like East Cobb and North Fulton counties, is still a school where a child can get a very high-quality education with lots of resources and educational amenities, particularly if a child's parents take a hands-on approach to their child's education.

Like some of the other aforementioned public high schools of very high regard in and near the Atlanta metro urban core with high populations of economically disadvantaged students, a school like North Atlanta High School (a school and cluster in an affluent area with a high population of economically disadvantaged students) is a very good urban public school.

As indicated with the $147 million price tag of the new North Atlanta High School campus, the resources and amenities for an excellent public school education are clearly present in an area like the North Atlanta cluster where the community has made a massive and tremendous investment in public education....Public school resources and investments that many parents and families of affluence in the Buckhead/North Atlanta community have clearly elected to take full advantage of.

There are numerous examples all over the Atlanta metro area (from North Atlanta to Southeast Cobb to Sandy Springs to North DeKalb to Gwinnett, etc) where students of affluence can receive an excellent public school education in schools with socioeconomically diverse populations and student bodies.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:55 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:

I think calling it "sought after" is a bit of a stretch. Actually, why mince words? It's a total stretch. Let's not forget that eleven teachers in Atlanta Public Schools received racketeering charges just last year for cheating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant...eating_scandal

I'd 2nd ATLTJL. The elementary schools are good. North Atlanta HS is NOT sought after by people with a choice. Its been a mess for a lot of reasons, like the principal and his staff being fired and marched out like criminals in an intervention by a school board member just a couple years ago.

Sutton MS is viewed better than the HS, but not as highly as the elementary schools.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'd 2nd ATLTJL. The elementary schools are good. North Atlanta HS is NOT sought after by people with a choice. Its been a mess for a lot of reasons, like the principal and his staff being fired and marched out like criminals in an intervention by a school board member just a couple years ago.

Sutton MS is viewed better than the HS, but not as highly as the elementary schools.

Key words: years ago

Again, stuck in the 1990s.

Why don't you keep espousing erroneous information about CSD as well like you've been doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta