Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:25 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Key words: years ago

Again, stuck in the 1990s.

Why don't you keep espousing erroneous information about CSD as well like you've been doing?
Again-out of control boosterism. I didn't live here in the 90s. And my facts on CSD were pretty close.

I have kids at that age and know lots of people with kids at that age. I would absolutely not send my kids to North Atlanta HS. State rating is 72.9 (Decatur is 87.1).

Now, that doesn't mean you can't get a good education there. And its definitely trending up. But you really need to be in the AP classes. Look at the test scores. Math proficiencies-coordinate algebra 33%-Integrated Math 2-25%. But there are some good students there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 PM

445 posts, read 516,097 times
bu2 do your kids attend public school?

Old 01-09-2016, 05:06 AM

272 posts, read 271,711 times
OP,

Regarding your desire to feel internationally connected,

I must say, there are only two places in Atlanta where I can feel connected that way:

Centennial Olympic Park and the CNN Center.

Otherwise, Atlanta is a very regional, very American, very black or white (pun intended) city.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'd 2nd ATLTJL. The elementary schools are good. North Atlanta HS is NOT sought after by people with a choice. Its been a mess for a lot of reasons, like the principal and his staff being fired and marched out like criminals in an intervention by a school board member just a couple years ago.

Sutton MS is viewed better than the HS, but not as highly as the elementary schools.
I have to agree with bu2 about NAHS. I live in Buckhead. My kids are in private school in Buckhead. I know a good many acquaintances who send their children to Jackson, Brandon, Smith elementaries and to the charter elementaries. However, EVERYONE I know, and I mean EVERYONE leaves the public system after 5th grade if they can at all afford it. And most of them can afford it.

I don't agree with bu2 about Sutton. I do not think it is viewed better than the high school, I just think people figure the stakes are lower because it's still just middle school. It's actually worse in some ways than NAHS.

Sure, there are some really wonderful kids who will go on to top colleges from NAHS. Do I think they are getting a comparable education as they would at the major privates? No, I do not.

Are the Buckhead privates ethnically diverse? ABSOLUTELY.

Would I send my children to North Atlanta? NEVER. Maybe if I had perfectly behaved, 99th percentile in everything kids, but I don't. Those are the only kids I could envision coming out of NAHS unscathed.

To say that people in Buckhead are happy sending their kids to NAHS and aren't moving to the suburbs to avoid it is absolutely laughable.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:02 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Again-out of control boosterism. I didn't live here in the 90s. And my facts on CSD were pretty close.

I have kids at that age and know lots of people with kids at that age. I would absolutely not send my kids to North Atlanta HS. State rating is 72.9 (Decatur is 87.1).

Now, that doesn't mean you can't get a good education there. And its definitely trending up. But you really need to be in the AP classes. Look at the test scores. Math proficiencies-coordinate algebra 33%-Integrated Math 2-25%. But there are some good students there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I have to agree with bu2 about NAHS. I live in Buckhead. My kids are in private school in Buckhead. I know a good many acquaintances who send their children to Jackson, Brandon, Smith elementaries and to the charter elementaries. However, EVERYONE I know, and I mean EVERYONE leaves the public system after 5th grade if they can at all afford it. And most of them can afford it.

I don't agree with bu2 about Sutton. I do not think it is viewed better than the high school, I just think people figure the stakes are lower because it's still just middle school. It's actually worse in some ways than NAHS.

Sure, there are some really wonderful kids who will go on to top colleges from NAHS. Do I think they are getting a comparable education as they would at the major privates? No, I do not.

Are the Buckhead privates ethnically diverse? ABSOLUTELY.

Would I send my children to North Atlanta? NEVER. Maybe if I had perfectly behaved, 99th percentile in everything kids, but I don't. Those are the only kids I could envision coming out of NAHS unscathed.

To say that people in Buckhead are happy sending their kids to NAHS and aren't moving to the suburbs to avoid it is absolutely laughable.
NEVER?

Unscathed?

Explain...

Old 01-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
NEVER?

Unscathed?

Explain...

What do I need to explain about NEVER? I will send them to private or homeschool instead.

Unscathed? Maybe not the best word choice--but yes I think my particular children would be harmed by the NAHS environment. I think the top students (gifted w/ innate determination to excel) do the best at NAHS. I think the kids who are in between or who are gifted but have ADD and/or learning differences are not always taught to their ability there and can easily slide by with no effort at all/slip through the cracks.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:12 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
36.91% are eligible for free or reduced lunch at North Atlanta as of Oct. 2015 (U.S. News has the 2012 numbers, for some reason).

The test performance scores are similarly old (North Atlanta High School in ATLANTA, GA | Test Scores | US NewsI don't think OP's kids will have problems testing proficient on the Georgia tests. Even that year 90% of the non-economically-disadvantaged kids were proficient).

Yes. Good accurate numbers.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,740,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
36.91% are eligible for free or reduced lunch at North Atlanta as of Oct. 2015 (U.S. News has the 2012 numbers, for some reason).

The test performance scores are similarly old (North Atlanta High School in ATLANTA, GA | Test Scores | US NewsI don't think OP's kids will have problems testing proficient on the Georgia tests. Even that year 90% of the non-economically-disadvantaged kids were proficient).
I cant believe these people are debating about a top performing school in North Atlanta. I know people in South Atlanta that would do anything to get their kids to go there. It's like you guys want 100 percent proficient in all subjects, and that's just not gonna happen at any school, even private ones.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I cant believe these people are debating about a top performing school in North Atlanta. I know people in South Atlanta that would do anything to get their kids to go there. It's like you guys want 100 percent proficient in all subjects, and that's just not gonna happen at any school, even private ones.
good point, demonta4. NAHS compares favorably in test scores and resources to a school like Douglass on the south side. And some very good students are coming out of Douglass as well, but you feel for the ones lost in the shuffle.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:51 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
It is sad to hear that NAHS is not providing a top notch educational experience. The place is brand new and is as magnificent a facility as money can buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta