Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 PM

272 posts, read 271,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cuomo Expected to Announce Plan For Penn Station Overhaul Wednesday, January 6, 2016, by Zoe Rosenberg

[Rendering of an overhauled Penn Station without Madison Square Garden by DBOX via MAS.]
Governor Cuomo is expected to revive a plan to overhaul Penn Station, with several sources close to the governor telling the Wall Street Journal that Cuomo may announce plans as early as this week. Part of the overhaul is expected to involve rebooting the Moynihan Station plan that involves transferring Amtrak's waiting area to the neighboring James A. Farley Post Office Building, which would be major for bringing the jam-packed terminal out of the dark ages—literally. Cuomo's plan will focus on bringing more light and air to the labyrinthine terminal that's often likened to hell. Once Amtrak's waiting area is relocated, the redevelopment of the station's other concourses could move forward.

Sources told the Journal that part of the redevelopment discussion involves relocating Madison Square Garden from atop the terminal, which would allow more light and air into the existing station. How Cuomo's announcement will affect the decade-old agreement the state made when tapping developers Vornado and Related Companies to develop Moynihan Station is unclear, but Cuomo's dissatisfaction with how the project has been progressing to date bubbled up a few weeks ago when the Times reported that Cuomo was considering dumping the developers. The Journal reports that ending the agreement will be costly, but the penalties will likely be minor compared to the overall cost of the project.
The first phase of the Moynihan Station development is expected to wrap-up this year, allowing passengers to exit on the west side of Eighth Avenue.
· Gov. Cuomo to Back a Penn Station Overhaul [WSJ]
Cuomo Expected to Announce Plan For Penn Station Overhaul - Transportation Watch - Curbed NY

Really puts our MARTA situation in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:12 PM

364 posts, read 418,413 times
NYC has state funding, MARTA does not. The comparisons are pointless.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:12 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
MTA gets state funding, property tax funding, and part of the tolls collected by MTA bridges and tunnels. It is also the largest holder of debt, outside of the federal government. Comparing MARTA to MTA is impossible. Most of MTA's lines were built by private companies.
MTA - Transportation Network

Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM

272 posts, read 271,902 times
Yes, and why can't we change this?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
"While we can't even get new stations built, NYC is already planning to overhaul theirs"

Ok, so?

You make it sound like overhauling is some incredible feat vs. building new stations/lines. And some of their stations are a century old while most of ours aren't even 40. Adding in differences in population density, political climate, and funding between the 2 systems makes this thread super pointless.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:33 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Yes, and why can't we change this?
Because Republicans. Duh...

Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:

You've asked a legit. question and I don't see a problem with it.

All I know is a lot of people in the suburbs have repeatedly voted down MARTA extending into their county (ies). Gwinnett last time I remember voted it down. Not sure if this has changed. I think Cobb did the same.

People have to want MARTA. People have to demand MARTA. If the people are not ready for it, nothing will move. They also have to be willing to help pay for MARTA. New Yorkers and Georgians (I'm talking about metro and city people) have different mindsets when it comes to public transit.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Ah yes, the bloated Penn Station fiasco. Not the wisest example to use...

Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
You've asked a legit. question and I don't see a problem with it.

All I know is a lot of people in the suburbs have repeatedly voted down MARTA extending into their county (ies). Gwinnett last time I remember voted it down. Not sure if this has changed. I think Cobb did the same.

People have to want MARTA. People have to demand MARTA. If the people are not ready for it, nothing will move. They also have to be willing to help pay for MARTA. New Yorkers and Georgians (I'm talking about metro and city people) have different mindsets when it comes to public transit.
Last time they voted was in 1965 (Cobb) and 1990 (Gwinnett). So not really repeatedly.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
NYC has state funding, MARTA does not. The comparisons are pointless.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta