Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I agree with the poster that said Atlanta needs to secede from Georgia. I mean, Atlanta already accounts for 90%+ of the job growth in the state. Why does the region needs the rest of the state? From there on, we may be able to fund public transportation that this region SERIOUSLY needs.
Ant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Time for metro Atlanta to secede from GA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I agree with the poster that said Atlanta needs to secede from Georgia. I mean, Atlanta already accounts for 90%+ of the job growth in the state. Why does the region needs the rest of the state? From there on, we may be able to fund public transportation that this region SERIOUSLY needs.
One major reason that the Atlanta region seems to need the rest of the state is to maintain critically important direct logistical access to and political control over the major international seaport at Savannah, a seaport that has become Atlanta's oceanic and water shipping link to the rest of the world.

And besides, with the Atlanta region being so economically valuable to Georgia, there's probably no way that the rest of the state would likely let Atlanta secede from the rest of the state very easily, which is not likely to happen anyway because it is not a policy that is likely to be put forth by the state's political leadership, no matter which party or political or ideological contingent is in charge of the state's political structure.

The rest of the state may not always quickly and easily go along with Metro Atlanta's agenda, but there have been some key times when the rest of the state has been cooperative in helping to further Metro Atlanta's position as the economic engine of the state.

Even if not always quickly and easily, the rest of the state has given its support to such major past initiatives as the commissioning of MARTA, the initial development of the Interstate system in and around Metro Atlanta, the expansion of the freeway system, the construction of the Georgia Dome and last year's $900 million/yearly transportation funding package.

Metro Atlanta has also had political support from politicians from other parts of the state, like powerful former Georgia House Speaker Tom Murphy of Bremen who helped get a lot of things done in Metro Atlanta during his tenure in the legislature, and like current sitting governor Nathan Deal of Gainesville who has put a heck of a lot of political support behind helping to make Metro Atlanta (and Georgia) one of the top localities for film production (3rd nationally and 5th internationally) during his time in office....Not to mention previous governors of Georgia's modern era (Carl Sanders, Jimmy Carter, George Busbee, Joe Frank Harris, Zell Miller, Roy Barnes) who helped to get things done at the state level that heavily and directly benefitted Metro Atlanta while in office.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
That's more of a federal roadblock, anyway. The Republicans control both houses of congress and would never allow a very blue 51st state (with 2 senators and however many representatives).

In a few decades, maybe Georgia won't be a red state anymore. But still will probably be controlled by Republicans, because most states are. State politics are more conservative than federal, in most all states, besides the northeast.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I-3 will not happen to Knoxville. Anything going thru the mountains will be shot down by the environmentalist bloc. I propose taking it from Savannah to Augusta to Athens to Gainesville to Rome and then over to Huntsville to connect to proposed routes that would go from Memphis to Huntsville.

I also like a proposal to extend 1-81 southward to Tallahassee and/or Panama City. It would overlay 75 from Knoxville to Chattanooga and then follow the old West Georgia Tollway proposal back from the 70s, connect with 185 at LaGrange and then extend southward from Columbus.

Add the proposed I-14 (Columbus to Macon to Augusta) and you have routes for through traffic to avoid Atlanta at just about any angle. I nice super outer loop (or triangle as the case may be).

Again, you guys need to vote me in as governor. I will make things happen.
I-22, from Memphis to Birmingham is nearing completion. No need to run another freeway thru the Tennessee Valley, when US 72 can be upgraded to a super arterial road.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Take the inside lane from 285 and make it a HOT lane, i know the general public will not like it, but it is a cheap and efficient way to add HOT lanes to a roadway with little to no additional ROW.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Take the inside lane from 285 and make it a HOT lane, i know the general public will not like it, but it is a cheap and efficient way to add HOT lanes to a roadway with little to no additional ROW.
Without direct exits, it'll just continue the same problems that most of the existing HOV network has with ingress/egress and crossing the other 4-5 GP lanes.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Is that an official deceleration of candidacy?
I think I need to re-establish residency. I do have 20 acres coming to me in Meriwether when Mama moves to her heavenly home. She might let me go ahead and put in a double wide.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I-22, from Memphis to Birmingham is nearing completion. No need to run another freeway thru the Tennessee Valley, when US 72 can be upgraded to a super arterial road.
Thell that to the folks in burgeoning Huntsville with nothing other than a spur interstate in their city. There is no east=west interstate grade connectivity to Huntsville.

But then again you never met a freeway you liked.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:47 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thell that to the folks in burgeoning Huntsville with nothing other than a spur interstate in their city. There is no east=west interstate grade connectivity to Huntsville.
Without transit they are doomed.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:47 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I sort of look at it as "some" progress. Ideal? No way, Jose. But, it's a start. I believe it will take new leadership in the Governor's Mansion before the state gets around to seriously considering its transit options. So, for now, I think this is about as good as it gets. Here's hoping the state votes in a visionary next go around at the ballot box.
Its leadership in even proposing to spend money on transportation. They've done very little the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta