Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:54 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That whole block could be redeveloped into a more urban, human scale development. As it stands with this proposed tower, there will be only 1 way in and out. Which will lead to traffic back ups just trying to exit the garage.
I suspect it'll also have a back way out onto Spring Hill Pkwy. It's hard to tell from the drawing and descriptions. I agree the whole block could use for re-thinking, of course it developed organically and it is probably unrealistic to hope for anything different with so many property owners in there. It's too bad the strip mall with Chin Chins kind of blocks off this development and that they didn't just buy that strip mall and integrate it into a Spring Rd - facing development. Of course, that does leave room for future better use of the strip mall property in the future.

It reminds me a little of some of the buildings on Tower Pl behind the AMC Fork and Spoon in Buckhead, in that they are going to be kind of tucked back there. Over time, Tower Pl did evolve a little from being a glorified alley with nothing but loading docks to being a sort of walkable street (at least it has paver sidewalks now). Perhaps the back side of the properties lining Spring Rd could be turned into a sort of promenade by the owners collectively, encouraging future investment - especially on the street-lined properties. Walking back there would sure as heck beat walking along Spring Rd anyway, from a perspective of a feeling of safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I assume they will never get rid of the Waffle House around the corner
Unless the franchises there have the good fortune of owning the land they are on versus land-leasing, then they probably have until the end of their leases until they are squeezed into a bigger development built around them, and possibly over them :-) Look at Peachtree St or Lenox to get an idea of their future.

Quote:
I was thinking it was around where Spring turned to Concord.
That corner's already finalized. It's rezoned by Halpern for "mixed-use" with a Publix, apartments and restaurants.

By the way, Jamestown just broke ground on Riverview Landing, I have been told.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 PM

I was wrong: It is taking out the strip mall with Chin Chin's and redeveloping it. That's a positive step. Strip malls don't belong there.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:12 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,436 times
Quote:

Oh, that's where it is. I was thinking it was around where Spring turned to Concord.

Yeah, I agree you need a bit of patience to get in there and it was oddly designed. The Pizza Hut was pretty good though like the taste from the 70s with the metal pans. Had ir not been for a co-worker from the area, I never would have found it. I assume they will never get rid of the Waffle House around the corner
That Waffle House was rebuilt just a few years back - so it is definitely there to stay.

So the Chin-Chin strip has been high on my list of properties to go - I can hopefully check that off

My next big wish is to move the McDonald's - I don't hate the building although I thought it was scheduled for a remodel even before the announcement of the stadium.

But that corner is a nightmare - I would love McDonalds to buy the Jade Palace property move over to Cobb Parkway - or any where that is not the corner of Spring Road and Cumberland Parkway

Old 01-12-2016, 06:56 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Unless the franchises there have the good fortune of owning the land they are on versus land-leasing, then they probably have until the end of their leases until they are squeezed into a bigger development built around them, and possibly over them :-) Look at Peachtree St or Lenox to get an idea of their future.

That corner's already finalized. It's rezoned by Halpern for "mixed-use" with a Publix, apartments and restaurants.

By the way, Jamestown just broke ground on Riverview Landing, I have been told.

Oh wow! I think they could go to work on the area on Spring where there is a pseudo Farmer's Market and where there used to be a Blockbuster. It's quite a hike from the new stadium but definitely doable. They could also go for the Family Dollar across the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
That Waffle House was rebuilt just\ a few years back - so it is definitely there to stay.

So the Chin-Chin strip has been high on my list of properties to go - I can hopefully check that off

My next big wish is to move the McDonald's - I don't hate the building although I thought it was scheduled for a remodel even before the announcement of the stadium.

But that corner is a nightmare - I would love McDonalds to buy the Jade Palace property move over to Cobb Parkway - or any where that is not the corner of Spring Road and Cumberland Parkway

For the life of me, I cannot picture a McDonald's in the area. The closest one I can think of is near West Paces Ferry.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,238 times
Quote:
Between Cobb Pkwy, Cumberland Blvd, I-285 and Spring Hill Pkwy. Approximately behind the Applebee's as lorilove alluded to, but it's a large lot that also has an entrance from Spring Hill Pkwy, next to Chin Chin's and from behind the hotel along Cobb Pkwy. Across Cobb Pkwy from the new stadium development. It includes replacing that ugly 2-story modern building you can see from I-285 right near Cobb Pkwy here https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8827...7i13312!8i6656

It's too bad it's not taking that vacant restaurant along with it, but lorilove may be onto something: That restaurant probably won't be vacant much longer.

I put STADIUM in red letters on the proximity map for those not familiar with the area (where the stadium mixed-use will be rather than the stadium itself which is off map)

thank you

Old 01-12-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I don't think that's happening anytime soon. They posted a variance hearing to rebuild it and expand the site, but that was right before they ended up just moving the one by Concord Rd to a brand new building outside the new Kroger. Then the variance hearing sign on Spring Rd disappeared. Rebuilding the one on Spring Rd into the new design was going to be complicated because they actually had to cut away and build a retaining wall between themselves and the jewelry store right behind and above. Moving the one near Concord Rd probably was just a lot easier for them and got their new concept design into the area.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 PM

It's still kinda weird for me, since the Chin Chin's is probably the first place our daughter ate out with us as atoddler. Before she was born, we lived in a condo right near there and still own it and rent it out to people. So many positive changes going on there and of course it'll be great for my condo's value but it'll be bittersweet when it takes out a place with happy memories of our daughter when she was little. If I could choose the two, I'll take the demolition and new development any day. Just kinda strange.. Just like the duck pond being gone on Circle 75. Usually I don't have a lot of memories where they do things like this in metro Atlanta. But around there, I have plenty.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:13 AM

145 posts, read 166,071 times
Quote:
but that was right before they ended up just moving the one by Concord Rd to a brand new building outside the new Kroger.
Are you referring to the old site where it faced South Cobb, south of Concord and adjacent to the Popeye's? Or was there another location on Concord? By the way, the former location on S. Cobb is ripe for redevelopment.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 AM

145 posts, read 166,071 times
On a slightly smaller note, saw a sign for a new retail/office space west of this location on Spring at Jonquil Drive (across from Rev Coffee). Sign says Summer 2016.

Properties « Jonquil Place « Dinerman Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta