Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 PM

199 posts, read 302,868 times

Advertisements

Now, I did this post month ago, and telling you which part of Atlanta should I move to. Let me get you guys a head up am not living in Gwinnett County, Cobb County, or North Fulton, cause those counties are too expensive to live there some people was telling me this to. Personally am 18 year old heading off the Georgia Tech this summer. And I need you guys help where should I live at. Personally am focus on High School, and my college. Cause right after I graduated out of high school. Am heading off. I came from Evanston, Cincinnati, Ohio and I attend to Walnut Hills High School. I POST DAILY CITY-DATA TOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Could you please post some more information like your budget, etc.?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:05 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post
Now, I did this post month ago, and telling you which part of Atlanta should I move to. Let me get you guys a head up am not living in Gwinnett County, Cobb County, or North Fulton, cause those counties are too expensive to live there some people was telling me this to. Personally am 18 year old heading off the Georgia Tech this summer. And I need you guys help where should I live at. Personally am focus on High School, and my college. Cause right after I graduated out of high school. Am heading off. I came from Evanston, Cincinnati, Ohio and I attend to Walnut Hills High School. I POST DAILY CITY-DATA TOO
Why don't you just live on-campus at Georgia Tech where you will be attending college?

Just stay on-campus at Georgia Tech and get to know and learn about the city while attending college there your first year (or first two years).

During your matriculation at Georgia Tech you will have plenty of time to think about where (in the city and/or metro area and/or nation and/or on the planet) you might want to work and live after college.

There are some boarding houses and off-campus housing that students (mainly upperclassmen) stay in north and south of the Georgia Tech campus (in the older neighborhood north off the campus north of 10th Street and in the area of multi-family dwellings (apartments) south off the campus south of North Avenue).

But these dwellings are mainly inhabited by upperclassmen. Underclassmen (particularly freshmen and first-year students) are often strongly encouraged to stay on campus during their first year of instruction (if possible) for both their emotional and social growth.

Beyond the area of the Georgia Tech campus and its immediate environs, quality housing increases in price and affordability can be an issue for those who do not have good-paying jobs. Crime (while it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be 20, 30 years ago when the old crime and poverty-infested Techwood Homes housing project was still around just off-campus) can also be an issue at times in and around Georgia Tech's campus and Midtown Atlanta.

In your situation (as a soon-to-be high school graduate on a shoestring budget about to move away to a strange new city for your first year of college), your best bet is most likely to stay on campus so that you can get to know more about the city during your first year of college.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
You need to be either on or very near campus your first two years. Tech is a meat grinder. Having to deal with commuting and parking for early morning classes is pretty much a sure-fire way to miss a lot of them.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Either live on campus, or around the area in Home Park or Atlantic Station.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:07 AM

199 posts, read 302,868 times
Thank you guys for responding my post, I was hooking apartments nearby the campus and it seem like there are lots of apartments nearby the campus. I will be look at them later in the month. Am Nervous da there is crime nearby the campus, like you got Bankhead, English Avenue.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Why aren't you looking at one of the dorms?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Why aren't you looking at one of the dorms?
Or the many recent apartment developments catering specifically to GT students that are within walking distance?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
This thread is ... just ... uh ... I dunno. Something doesn't seem right.

I'm still not convinced that the OP has the qualifications to get into GA Tech; but giving benefit of the doubt THIS comes directly from the university website:

FRESHMAN HOUSING: Why Live on Campus?

While incoming freshmen students are not required to live on campus, there are several reasons we recommend campus housing.

-- You will increase your chances of attaining and maintaining a high GPA. Studies have shown students who live on campus earn better grades.
-- You'll learn to cope with the newness of independent living in the security of a true community setting.
-- You can build lifetime friendships.
-- You'll avoid stressful and expensive commutes.
-- Extracurricular campus activities will afford you a healthy balance between a demanding workload and non-academic diversions.
-- You'll enjoy access to high speed Internet and HD cable channels.
--,Our school's emphasis on campus safety creates a sense of security within the Tech community.
-- We have a program specially designed for incoming freshmen. Learn more here!

https://housing.gatech.edu/techlife/...s/default.aspx

Old 01-18-2016, 01:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
I'm still not convinced that the OP has the qualifications to get into GA Tech
I thought the same thing.

I certainly hope English is his second language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: