Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:04 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times

Advertisements

Many black LGBTs have said for years it was only a matter of time before Bulldogs would be gone. You know the gentrifying property owners have been looking for a reason to get rid of them since its clientele is mostly black these days. The same has been mentioned with the existence of 708/Traxx/whatever on Spring Street. The feeling amongst most in that demographic is they are not wanted in Midtown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:14 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Many black LGBTs have said for years it was only a matter of time before Bulldogs would be gone. You know the gentrifying property owners have been looking for a reason to get rid of them since its clientele is mostly black these days. The same has been mentioned with the existence of 708/Traxx/whatever on Spring Street. The feeling amongst most in that demographic is they are not wanted in Midtown...
I think the only color that matters to the property owners is this:

Last edited by Gulch; 01-21-2016 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM

749 posts, read 886,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The key word here is "leasing." If these bars all owned their property, they'd likely stay put.
Even then, I'm certain that many of these bars would still sell for the right price. It's just hard to turn away a large bag of cash. Why would a landlord continue to collect mediocre rent and have to be involved, when they could be bought out to the tune of millions by a developer?

Quote:
Exactly. It's not an anti-gay/black conspiracy. A single story structure in the heart of Midtown, that doesn't even utilize the entire block, has no future. Just look at Quad...

Old 01-21-2016, 07:51 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanConquistador View Post
Even then, I'm certain that many of these bars would still sell for the right price. It's just hard to turn away a large bag of cash. Why would a landlord continue to collect mediocre rent and have to be involved, when they could be bought out to the tune of millions by a developer?

Exactly. It's not an anti-gay/black conspiracy. A single story structure in the heart of Midtown, that doesn't even utilize the entire block, has no future. Just look at Quad...
It's the same story as when Backstreet closed for the construction of Viewpoint. In the end, the owners are going to look out for their bottom line, partygoers be damned.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
Those clubs should look into the downtown area. There are plenty of abandoned buildings that can be turned into clubs

Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
It's the way of the world...

"Former owner: He got my team. The son of a ***** got my team.
Advisor to former owner: What kind of pressure did he use, Milt?
Former owner: All I asked was sixty-seven million, and he said "okay."
Advisor to former owner: Ruthless bastard."

(From "Heaven Can Wait" 1978)

Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
This friend also told me that he was trying to buy a piece a property from a seller in midtown and the guy told him that social space for LGBT is not allowed.
I don't know if I have ever heard tell of someone say something like that before.

I'm straight and I live Midtown, and there seem to be about as many gay people as there were before. The only gay club I really know about is the one on the backside of Ansley Mall that my friend calls Heaven's Waiting Room meaning there as many old as young people there.

There are a lot of changes going on in Midtown. That's the way of Atlanta metro in general though.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:49 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,435,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
So a friend of mine just went to a meeting today where they were discussing black gay entrepreneurship well the lack there of. During that meeting they learned several party spots will be closing there doors. Bulldogs and Jungle were the 2 that was named thus far. Soon they say blakes 10th and Piedmont will all disappear. They are trying to un-gay midtown. He also stated that the city was saying that if there is another gay area to be created it would have to be outside the perimeter.

I've seen this happen here in NY. The village is no longer the gay area. It moved to Chelsea now it's left Chelsea and moved to Hells Kitchen. All due to gentrification. Has anyone else heard this?
Really I thought being Gay consist of the person and not club choices. That is so swallow. Many people straight or gay don't even like the club environment

Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Exactly.

This happens all the time in many parts of the city as property values change. Look at the evolution of the Buckhead village, Cheshire Bridge road, Midtown, O4W, etc.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I don't know if I have ever heard tell of someone say something like that before.

I'm straight and I live Midtown, and there seem to be about as many gay people as there were before. The only gay club I really know about is the one on the backside of Ansley Mall that my friend calls Heaven's Waiting Room meaning there as many old as young people there.

There are a lot of changes going on in Midtown. That's the way of Atlanta metro in general though.
You are referring to the Hideaway. Your friend's reference is the New Order, and the moniker hasn't applied in a long time.
Within walking distance of there are Oscar's, Felix's, Mixx and Burkhart's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta