Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
The thread isn't about the City of Atlanta. Let's keep it that way.
The anti-Atlanta sentiment of some posters is laughable. They take any opportunity to throw shade on Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 12:09 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Suburban renewal | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

This area is one of the few in Cobb County that offers somewhat reliable transit access for those who cannot afford cars. Are we turning our backs on those in need of the most help?

Not sure but, if it will make Cobb much more like it was in the 80's and less than what it has turned into today, I saw do it. In spades. Get the Caterpillar dozers at Yancey Brothers and start plowing....Cobb used to be one nice place to live.....today? Not-so-much.....

Old 01-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Not sure but, if it will make Cobb much more like it was in the 80's and less than what it has turned into today, I saw do it. In spades. Get the Caterpillar dozers at Yancey Brothers and start plowing....Cobb used to be one nice place to live.....today? Not-so-much.....
Are you saying because Cobb County is diversifying that it is making the county worse?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Are you saying because Cobb County is diversifying that it is making the county worse?
No, but the poverty sure isn't helping, is it?

Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
No, but the poverty sure isn't helping, is it?
So you propose just kicking them out instead of helping them?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I think he would rather just see the poor people moved to another county.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
removed
The fact that the gentrification is happening naturally in Atlanta and the city did not use bonds to buy the property and tear it down, only for it to sit vacant until a developer buys the property.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-25-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-25-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Helping them....with WHAT money???? Is that a birthright? The way you phrase it, it sounds like "protocol"? How about, when they quit tearing Shiite up all the time and then demanding OTHERS pay for rebuilding it? Call it out...don't dodge....what area has "improved" with their arrival?

It's with the rest of the vicious cycle of no-accountability....the latest mantra for those that continually blame others and other things for their own demise....

"It's not my fault, the schools are bad"....trillions spent through the decades, no discernible improvement

"Okay, how about no food at home"....billions spent on before, during AND after school food programs...no discernible improvement....

"Okay, my dad wasn't around".....billions spent on boys clubs, YMCA, Youth Programs, no discernible improvement....

"Too much sugar in my diet"....billions spent on SNAP, WIC, EBT, etc....and what can they do now??? make bad food choices and it's okay....and I've yet to see it stop any liquor or cigarette consumption....

"Racism"....the end all, be all excuse for poor performance.....something happened to my great grandfather so I am owed......not....something bad happened to ALL of our great grandfathers and no one owes us a dime.....

"Housing is not adequate".....my mom, her sister, brother, and parents grew up in a 3 ROOM apartment...no such thing as "inadequate" back then....and all moved on and did well....NO excuse....anyone is lucky to have a roof over their heads...ask anyone that has been homeless....

bottom line, no, the answer can't be, people move in and pay top dollar, over time the area gets old and cost of housing drops, in comes the lower-income....now, we are supposed to pay to build it back...up? How about the billions lost in housing values when they moved in? Anyone going to pay THOSE people back?

Oh wait, I forgot....it's okay because "they can afford it"....the proverbial "smart answer" given when others that don't have expect those that do to pay.....because they can afford it....says who? You?

I got a better idea....want to eat? work...want to go to college? work and take a loan...want a better house? work and save.......want to move up? work and work and work some more...

We did.....

Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Helping them....with WHAT money???? Is that a birthright? The way you phrase it, it sounds like "protocol"? How about, when they quit tearing Shiite up all the time and then demanding OTHERS pay for rebuilding it? Call it out...don't dodge....what area has "improved" with their arrival?

It's with the rest of the vicious cycle of no-accountability....the latest mantra for those that continually blame others and other things for their own demise....

"It's not my fault, the schools are bad"....trillions spent through the decades, no discernible improvement

"Okay, how about no food at home"....billions spent on before, during AND after school food programs...no discernible improvement....

"Okay, my dad wasn't around".....billions spent on boys clubs, YMCA, Youth Programs, no discernible improvement....

"Too much sugar in my diet"....billions spent on SNAP, WIC, EBT, etc....and what can they do now??? make bad food choices and it's okay....and I've yet to see it stop any liquor or cigarette consumption....

"Racism"....the end all, be all excuse for poor performance.....something happened to my great grandfather so I am owed......not....something bad happened to ALL of our great grandfathers and no one owes us a dime.....

"Housing is not adequate".....my mom, her sister, brother, and parents grew up in a 3 ROOM apartment...no such thing as "inadequate" back then....and all moved on and did well....NO excuse....anyone is lucky to have a roof over their heads...ask anyone that has been homeless....

bottom line, no, the answer can't be, people move in and pay top dollar, over time the area gets old and cost of housing drops, in comes the lower-income....now, we are supposed to pay to build it back...up? How about the billions lost in housing values when they moved in? Anyone going to pay THOSE people back?

Oh wait, I forgot....it's okay because "they can afford it"....the proverbial "smart answer" given when others that don't have expect those that do to pay.....because they can afford it....says who? You?

I got a better idea....want to eat? work...want to go to college? work and take a loan...want a better house? work and save.......want to move up? work and work and work some more...

We did.....
Like I've said before there are many poor people who try but simply cannot get by. It isn't a matter of one issue, but many combined. Language barriers, work related problems, poor living conditions, poor schools, food deserts, and economic segragaton come together to keep people in poverty. You're never gonna get rid of them completely, so Cobb's just decided that they'll kick them out to be someone else's problem. These people pay taxes just like you do, so how are they less entitled to where they live. Cobb could actually take advantage of this with their good school system and help get the poorer kids a good start in life, which would help Cobb in the long run when they come back home. ( Pebblebrook, and South Cobb are some of the best schools in the state in the Six Flags area) The, "we can't stand the sight of peasants, exile them" attitude Cobb has got going on doesn't put their county in a good light.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
CoA is being proactive in building affordable housing, while Cobb County continues to turn it's back and bury it's head in the sand to act like no poor people live there. Reality check is that Cobb County Government has a responsibility to all citizens, not just the rich, white people.
It's still Cobb county Georgia and not a major surprise...Government and politics my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta