Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times

Advertisements

A very very small older home or home on a very small lot in a neighborhood without an association or pool/tennis (or closer to Cobb Parkway). Example: 27 Shadowlawn Road Southeast, Marietta GA 30067 - Trulia :-)

But there is more than I thought (I'd check their school districts, though, since some stuff around Delk Rd is pretty crummy)... 30067 Real Estate & 30067 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

East Cobb is nice... The killers for me that kept it off my list was that it was too suburbanish and too much of a commute to downtown ATL where I work. If the Interstate North job gets old someday, East Cobb will be farther than Smyrna from downtown/midtown Atlanta where people are most likely to find their next job at. I also believe you could also get more equity increase from an improving school district in Smyrna such as King Springs. My gut tells me that East Cobb has topped out more than Smyrna, mainly because Smyrna schools can't really go anywhere but improve. However, neither East Cobb nor Smyrna are bargains, so who knows. As far as fun factor goes, I think Smyrna is just that much closer to Cumberland than East Cobb and looks less suburbanish than East Cobb.

Last edited by netdragon; 02-25-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 PM

102 posts, read 393,346 times
I looked at 30067 Real Estate & 30067 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com and found that it quickly drops down to 2 pages with most of the houses 250K+ if looking for something with a basement.

It all depends on choice.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 PM

14 posts, read 67,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
$225K might be tough in the nice parts of Sandy Springs, although perhaps there are condos with that price. However, I agree that Sandy Springs or Marietta are good choices. Have you consider Smyrna? There are some great areas there too that would be a quick drive to work.

Duluth is way too far away for your considering. The drive across 285 alone is a nightmare. Alpharetta is pushing it too.
Smyrna schools are not so great.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantago View Post
Smyrna schools are not so great.

Smyrna has plenty of good schools.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma31 View Post
But what is that something?
You will have plenty of choices in East Cobb for $225,000. Plenty.

Types of homes:

1. The older, classic East Cobb "5,4 and a door" (many of these will be well over 225K, but there are many that are at this price or even lower)

2. The cedar contemporary homes.

3. Split-levels.

4. Ranches

Remember, East Cobb is a huge area. It includes the following high school districts: Pope, Walton, Wheeler, Sprayberry, Lassiter, and Kell.

You will have many options.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
I agree. Houses in Prince Howard, Chimney Springs, Chestnut Ridge, Chadds Ford, Post Oak Springs, Carriage Lakes/Parks all have homes in that range. Post Oak and Chimney Springs have great swim and tennis areas. There are many others I am sure that I am not aware of.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You will have plenty of choices in East Cobb for $225,000. Plenty.

Types of homes:

1. The older, classic East Cobb "5,4 and a door" (many of these will be well over 225K, but there are many that are at this price or even lower)
Wow. I just learned something ... I live in one of those those, albeit with a nice rocker porch, and our neighborhood is full of 'em, but I had no idea what to call that particular house style. Cool!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Default East Cobb Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wow. I just learned something ... I live in one of those those, albeit with a nice rocker porch, and our neighborhood is full of 'em, but I had no idea what to call that particular house style. Cool!
Yes, they are the "foundation" of East Cobb and, in my opinion, really give East Cobb its "character". Cotton States built a lot of the classic East Cobb neighborhoods...full of "5, 4, and-a-doors":

Chestnut Creek
Chestnut Springs
Chestnut Grove
Chestnut Ridge
Hedgerow
Whitfield
Chadds Walk
Chadds Lake
Princeton Walk
Princeton Lakes
Princeton Mill
Dorset
Providence Corners
Princeton West
Princeton Corners
Chadds Ford (I'm not sure about this one)
Princeton Cove and Princeton Point (newer...no 5-4-doors)
Chestnut Hill (technically outside of East Cobb)

*I'm sure I left some neighborhoods off of this Cotton States list.

*Of course, there are tons of other neighborhoods in East Cobb with 5-4-doors.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I agree. Houses in Prince Howard, Chimney Springs, Chestnut Ridge, Chadds Ford, Post Oak Springs, Carriage Lakes/Parks all have homes in that range. Post Oak and Chimney Springs have great swim and tennis areas. There are many others I am sure that I am not aware of.
Yes. I think some people get too caught up into brand-new or emerging areas.

What I can't believe is that it seems like people don't realize the deals you can get with the homes in the contemporary style neighborhoods in East Cobb...the homes are big and well-built. Great deals with great schools.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Default East Cobb Classic

"5, 4, and-a-door" is a new term to me too, but I live in one. We're in a modest but well-kept 20 year-old subdivision in the Mabry M.S. / Lassiter H.S. school district. No swim/tennis in the subdivision itself, but you can get a swim/tennis membership in the adjacent more upscale subdivision. Home values in our subdivision are in the $175 to $250K range, although all the new construction in the area is $800K and up.

If you're looking for affordable housing with top-quality schools, it's definitely available. It all depends on your priorities. Obviously, you can get more house for the money, further out and with less sought-after schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta