Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM

194 posts, read 163,186 times

Advertisements

Georgia simply isn't big enough to support multiple metros the size of Atlanta. Very few states have the capacity to do such a thing (California, Texas, and Florida). It's such a convoluted stance to, on one hand, say that GA's 2nd tier cities are boring and pathetic and, on the other, believe that Atlanta will continue to be the hub of the Southeast.

My point is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either Atlanta's growth has to immediately freeze so that people begin moving to Augusta or Savannah etc. or you have to accept that GA's 2nd tier cities will always seem lackluster in comparison. The growth simply isn't there to produce two or more huge metropolises in the state. I think it's extremely unbecoming to put down the smaller metros (places that some truly love) in such a negative way while simultaneously stating that Atlanta is a hub that is and will continue to be one of the top 10 cities in the nation. You aren't giving us a chance to catch up, but you don't stop there. You have to laugh and insult us as we struggle to compete with a world-class city.

I'm glad that you like your city. But NEWS FLASH not everyone wants to be like Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:11 PM

121 posts, read 109,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthebern123 View Post
Georgia's 2nd tier cities (except Athens and possibly Savannah) are just plain, repressed, pasteurized and boring.

They're conservative and repressed to such an extreme that they make even Atlanta's more conservative outlying areas look like San Francisco in comparison.

Very cliquish people.

Very few young professionals. Anyone there who's single with no kids past 22, good luck.

Not much of a middle class/not many people with college educations. Heck, even Olive Garden is considered fancy there.

Redneck/Ghetto mentality

Very little to do besides shopping and dining
lol redneck/ ghetto mentality have you even seem some parts of Atlanta. Why did you even create this thread knowing you was gonna get some backlash from. You need to visit other parts of the states out of metro Atlanta cause you are just going off of nonsense.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
Georgia simply isn't big enough to support multiple metros the size of Atlanta. Very few states have the capacity to do such a thing (California, Texas, and Florida). It's such a convoluted stance to, on one hand, say that GA's 2nd tier cities are boring and pathetic and, on the other, believe that Atlanta will continue to be the hub of the Southeast.

My point is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either Atlanta's growth has to immediately freeze so that people begin moving to Augusta or Savannah etc. or you have to accept that GA's 2nd tier cities will always seem lackluster in comparison. The growth simply isn't there to produce two or more huge metropolises in the state. I think it's extremely unbecoming to put down the smaller metros (places that some truly love) in such a negative way while simultaneously stating that Atlanta is a hub that is and will continue to be one of the top 10 cities in the nation. You aren't giving us a chance to catch up, but you don't stop there. You have to laugh and insult us as we struggle to compete with a world-class city.

I'm glad that you like your city. But NEWS FLASH not everyone wants to be like Atlanta.
Certainly there wouldn't be room for multiple 5 million+ metros in Georgia, but surely there's room for a few in the 1-2 million range--heck, even more for several in the 500K-1 million range--and it wouldn't be a zero sum game either.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 PM

194 posts, read 163,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Certainly there wouldn't be room for multiple 5 million+ metros in Georgia, but surely there's room for a few in the 1-2 million range--heck, even more for several in the 500K-1 million range--and it wouldn't be a zero sum game either.
I agree with you. The 2nd tier cities are working on it, it'll just take time. And it will take people who are more willing to work with those smaller metros trying to encourage growth rather than those who scoff at the strides we've already made because we're still too "traditional" in their eyes.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
You know, I've been thinking about this thread for the past couple of days and I've come to some conclusions. First off (as most everybody who has contributed agreed) the OPs assertion that Georgia's second tier cities are redneck, uncultured backwaters unworthy of living or visiting, is grossly unfair, unfounded, and inaccurate. What I would like to discuss is this notion of "size."

There seems to be this belief out there (and especially among CD nerds) that if a city does not have a metropolitan population of at least 1 million people it matters for nothing. For whatever reason, 1 million people has historically been the magic number at which all cities consider themselves "arrived." In the 1950s, Atlanta celebrated reaching 1 million. More recently, I can remember Jacksonville celebrating 1 million.

But the fact remains, there are a lot of great cities across this country that have far fewer than 1 million people. Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville are three great examples of smaller cities with huge reputations. And I think this counts for a lot.

As a resident of Savannah, I can reassure all of you that we don't lack for much. We have great attractions, museums, recreation areas, nightlife, theater, music venues, restaurants ... and shopping that is quickly becoming as upscale as you're to find in much larger cities. We have excellent higher education, top-notch healthcare and medical facilities, and a transit / bus system that's remarkably large and efficient for a community our size. We also have an outstanding airport (that just happens to be one of the fastest-growing commercial airports in United States) with direct flights to 22 cities. More then 2 million people passed through SAV in 2015. In comparison, last year Alabama's largest airport in Birmingham only serve 2.5 million. And Birmingham's metro is three times the size of Savannah.

I tell you all this to say, that when I drive around Savannah and go about my daily life I do not feel like I live in a small town. Even after visiting Atlanta and coming back to Savannah I am quickly reminded that everything I need in life is right here. I always thought I'd move back to Atlanta one day, but other than for family reasons I see no need. Savannah is a great place to live, and I know people in Columbus, Augusta and Macon feel the same about where they live. So don't have pity on us

Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
I'm originally from Atlanta, but choose to live in Rome. I'm not sure Rome could be classified as really even a third tier city, but I think it's a wonderful place to live. Plenty of nature, a great downtown, four colleges, three rivers, and some great people. I wouldn't move back to Atlanta for a fortune, and I actually like Atlanta.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,554 times
As someone who was unfortunately born in Columbus and moved to Midtown after college graduation, OP is right on several points.

Last edited by gofalcons; 01-28-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 03:09 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
^ ....it's odd to read someone talk about trolling in their very first comment on the forum

Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,347 times
Default Atlanta 2nd tier cities

Most people who live in the 2nd tier cities are from Georgia. And since Georgia is in the South it's a lil country. Where as the city is full of people from all over.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

CD nerds

Boy did you hit the nail on the head.

I really do get tired of these threads comparing smaller Georgia cities with Atlanta. Reminds me of a reader's comment I read last week in a British newspaper about Charlotte, NC. It was the most brutal putdown from a Londoner of a southern city with amenities and lots of things to do. But you can't compare London to Charlotte, just as you can't compare Atlanta to the 2nd-tier cities.

About Savannah: Although you might have turned up your nose at Savannah if you saw it three decades ago, today it has a growing national reputation -- for its fun and dynamic downtown, many entertainment options, cool airport, and very progressive mindset. The last time I was downtown, I was shocked at all the young people walking around in droves; these weren't tourists but local students from the four small universities. And with the tourists and office workers, it all looked incredibly dynamic. If you haven't been in downtown Savannah in the last 10-15 years, you will be blown away. But no, it doesn't have one million-plus residents.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 01-28-2016 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta