Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:10 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,131,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Kensington Station is 2 miles away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Which is an extra 10-15 minute drive. Don't cherry pick stats, either give the full picture or don't give anything.
It's actually 1.6 miles/5 minutes away from Avondale's south lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:
Which is an extra 10-15 minute drive. Don't cherry pick stats, either give the full picture or don't give anything.
The drive time is something that fluctuates, but the mileage stays constant. Therefore I am not cherry picking stats, but gave the constant measure.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,965,685 times
Quote:
I just hope they don't shut down the parking completely for the station itself. Like it or not, Avondale is still very much a commuter station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
There's a parking deck included in the development. They'll probably do the same setup that Lindbergh has and allocate space for commuters.
I can't believe they won't do like what was done for the Alta Midtown parking lot. Shut down only a portion of it, build and open the parking deck, and then start construction on the rest of the development. The Avondale parking lot certainly seems large enough for this to be feasible.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:34 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,131,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I can't believe they won't do like what was done for the Alta Midtown parking lot. Shut down only a portion of it, build and open the parking deck, and then start construction on the rest of the development. The Avondale parking lot certainly seems large enough for this to be feasible.
And there are also alternatives as well:
  • Avondale north lot
  • Kensington
  • East Lake

Is it an inconvenience? Yes, but only temporary, and the eventual outcome (more development near MARTA stations that provide the agency additional revenue) is a huge net positive.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 AM

150 posts, read 152,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
And there are also alternatives as well:
  • Avondale north lot
  • Kensington
  • East Lake

Is it an inconvenience? Yes, but only temporary, and the eventual outcome (more development near MARTA stations that provide the agency additional revenue) is a huge net positive.
Exactly - so many people fail to realize the bigger picture. They're too concerned about their immediate well-being.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Shutting down the parking can allow them to build faster and safer, therefore delivering the project on-time, something everyone likes to complain about. It costs so much more and more time, to have an active work site while people and vehicles are moving within the site.
As a way to offset the lost of parking, there should be a fine if the project is not delivered by the agreed time.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,965,685 times
I don't care either way. Just thinking of another work around for the people that do.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,483,775 times
I am not against TOD per se but from the presentation made at Brookhaven City Hall last night, MARTA seems to be forging ahead without traffic studies, sewer studies and other due diligence. This development will have an enormous impact (burden) on the surrounding infrastructure and their answers to a lot of these questions was "we don't know yet." And yet they are planning to get zoning approval this spring and break ground later this year? Not if the citizens have a say. We just want answers and solutions.

Standing room only for MARTA Brookhaven/Oglethorpe TOD forum | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA

Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,702,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I am not against TOD per se but from the presentation made at Brookhaven City Hall last night, MARTA seems to be forging ahead without traffic studies, sewer studies and other due diligence. This development will have an enormous impact (burden) on the surrounding infrastructure and their answers to a lot of these questions was "we don't know yet." And yet they are planning to get zoning approval this spring and break ground later this year? Not if the citizens have a say. We just want answers and solutions.

Standing room only for MARTA Brookhaven/Oglethorpe TOD forum | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA
Does the zoning approval not require public presentation and interrupt à la NPUs, or city meetings? If MARTA has the studies done by then, or before, then I don't see too much of a problem.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to press for answers, since, as much as I want MARTA to get the TODs going, I also want them to work with the cities they're building in.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,167,327 times
Quote:
So based on a post by MARTA in response to a question on that site, it looks like they're going to shut down the south parking lot for 18 months I agree with that person who asked that question, it's utterly ridiculous and seems to take the same stance that some on here take of "eh, forget the drivers." Not realizing that they're not pushing anyone onto transit, and in fact pushing more people into their cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Was that you who responded to MARTA's answer? I'm curious as to how well a 'rolling' parking situation would be. It seems to me that it would have minimal benefits. I don't even know if they could get the parking deck done 'first' in a useful way. I would assume that, since the whole of Phase I would only be 18 months, that they'd be building everything all at once to try and get it all open as soon as possible.

I can see how much of a problem it will potentially be, but I don't see a useful solution without dragging out the project for much, much longer.
Indeed. And it doesn't have very many parking spaces.

Quote:
According to Google maps it takes 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

Good. I'm glad MARTA is being this way. NIMBYs tend to be too self-centered to properly understand the big picture.

And jeez, the current Brookhaven station parking lot is an enormous waste of asphalt on potentially valuable real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: