U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 AM

39 posts, read 304,530 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the LYNWOOD PARK community north of Brookhaven. I was considering buying a house there, however I would really like to know if it would be a good ideal. I drove through the neighborhood and like what I saw. I know that there are still some old dilapidated homes in the neighborhood, but is this place really a good place to stay. Is crime a major issue, has there been any break ins. I now how it is moving into a neighborhood going through gentrification. I love the location, it is close to everything. Please give me more information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,404,932 times
Definitely a hot area. Still pockets of crime along Windsor Pkwy and side streets. Honestly, I'd knock on a few doors or drive around and see what the residents have to say.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM

351 posts, read 1,353,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarbee82 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the LYNWOOD PARK community north of Brookhaven. I was considering buying a house there, however I would really like to know if it would be a good ideal. I drove through the neighborhood and like what I saw. I know that there are still some old dilapidated homes in the neighborhood, but is this place really a good place to stay. Is crime a major issue, has there been any break ins. I now how it is moving into a neighborhood going through gentrification. I love the location, it is close to everything. Please give me more information.
Its a really good area to buy into right now and underpriced IMHO. THis location can only go up in value.There are 2 new high end developments planned nearby at Oglethpore so you can soon walk to shopping.
The area is very safe already, we live very close and I wal to the park with my daughters and we eat at the little French place and have never had a problem (3 years) or a break in. We also leave a high end car parked on the street with no problems.
I would actually like seeing a few old houses and churches remain as it give the area more character.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,789 times
I grew up in Lynwood park My Grandfather bought his property at 3259 Osborne Road back in 1921 and build it from my home church Little Zion Baptist Church I have seen the Good and the bad but i love my community. All communities have problems but from the way i see yes it is true a person can live where they want to but Lynwood Park to me is the best Community one can Live also living in Lynwood Park you are Living in the Oldest Black Community In Dekalb County and that is part of history!!!!! if you live in Lynwood you are living with a part of history so please think of that

Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 PM

293 posts, read 1,036,348 times
My roots stem back to Lynwood Park as well! My great-grandfather bought his home back in 1933, and my great-grandmother was bought out of the home back in 2005. VERY historic area. Don't hear much about crime there and didn't as we use to visit the area growing up. My ultimate goal is to move back there!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 19,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarbee82 View Post
Yes,I know all u need t know about the community.I lived their in the 70s & 80s and yes, I know everybody there except the "new-news". There have never been any break -ins because everybody know one another, however, some people have gone out to neighboring communities and committed break-ins. But that's all a thing of the past.Most have moved on and some that are still there are owners of their properties but there remains a few that are hanging on by threads, few drug heads but even they know not to break in any homes out there. My uncle by marriage to my aunt, owns more property than any one owner out there that's black. Anything else you want to know about that community,please don't hesitate to contact me: hoodpaul66@yahoo.com.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 19,056 times
have u bought that house in lynwood park yet?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 16,891 times
My dad and my mom (both 84 y/o) and most of my ancestors were born and grew up in Lynwood Park during the 30's 40's 50's 60's some today still. The big last names in the sub were Hood and Cantrell back then. It was an all black and some black indian community. My parents would take us there from Portland Oregon to visit relatives. It was a blast!@% I love that area and I wish it never had to change. That was a very special part of my childhood along with all the stories my dad told us about Lynwood Park. "The Jewel of Atlanta" thats what they should call it!
toolivealil@yahoo.com

Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,467 times
Default Lynwood Park Great Family Neighborhood

Lynwood is a great in-town neighborhood. Many years ago it had small dilapidated homes, but over the past 15 years it has almost entirely transformed into new homes. in 2010-11 over 20 new children were born to local families. There is a captive public park with pool, ball fields, swings, etc. On week day afternoons, the park is filled with children and their parents/nannies. The local public shcool is good and there are many great private schools. Don't let the last few older homes disuade you. Home building is active and selling well in 2011 and 2012. In a year or two the entire neighborhood will have been rebuilt .

Old 01-26-2017, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times
My great-grandfather was one of the men who founded Lynwood Park. They wanted to create a safe haven for their families to live and thrive, away from the nightly cowardice of the Klu Klux Klan. Affluent Black families thrived in Lynwood for generations and though there were instances of crime, as in all communities, there was more love and fellowship than anything else. As a result of gentrification, my family was forced to relocate back in 2005, but it has always been my plan to return. I say all of this to echo what has been said by many on this thread, please recognize the hallowed and historical grounds you travel on every time you enter our community. Seeing Black faces, and "dilapidated homes" as you described, should not automatically trigger a question of crime. As a current resident of a majority white community, I am more concerned about crime today than I ever was in my Black community of Lynwood Park. The spirit of love lives in Lynwood, bring it and you will receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: