Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:37 PM

787 posts, read 968,937 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer from a IT consulting firm in midtown, I currently have a job in which I've been employed over two years and work from home.
The new job pays about 10K more a year but the position & job title isn't as good as my current position but it will take me two years (if I'm lucky) to reach the new job salary with its modest annual raises, plus I already know I'm getting low balled.

I'm thinking about speaking with my current HR manager tomorrow and asking them if they can match my new job offer salary so I can keep my current position but make more money (it doesn't have to be immediate but some time in the next few months.) How likely is my current job to consider this offer? Should I even bother asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I just received a job offer from a IT consulting firm in midtown, I currently have a job in which I've been employed over two years and work from home.
The new job pays about 10K more a year but the position & job title isn't as good as my current position but it will take me two years (if I'm lucky) to reach the new job salary with its modest annual raises, plus I already know I'm getting low balled.

I'm thinking about speaking with my current HR manager
tomorrow and asking them if they can match my new job offer salary (it doesn't have to be immediate but some in the next few months.) How likely is my current job to consider this offer? Should I even bother asking?
I just asked my potential new employer to match, I got turned down but will more than make up for the difference in $0 commuting costs (bike commuting!) It does not hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no, plus you are already employed.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
He's talking about speaking to his CURRENT HR manager about matching the salary.

It's risky, because if they say no, then you pretty much have to take the new job or else they're going to know you're a whipping boy who will do whatever they want and you don't matter much anyway because you consider outside offers. And you may not WANT to take the new job since it's a title reduction and $10k is a pretty small price to pay for working from home instead of commuting every day.

So I would say this: You can bring it up to your current company, but you better be prepared to leave immediately if they hem and haw or don't commit. If they say no and you stay anyway, that's a bad situation.

In fact, I'd probably work it like this: Just resign. When you do so, explain that you love the company and you really don't WANT to leave, but you can't turn down this pay raise. Then, maybe they'll counteroffer, but if they don't, you've already made the decision.

If you don't want to the new job, even with the bigger money, then don't worry about any of this. Bottom line: You shouldn't use the offer as leverage unless you're 100% committed to walking out if your play doesn't work. And it had to be immediate, don't accept "maybe in a few months" or some other non-committal answer.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
One thing going through my mind is if you can easily get higher pay for a lessor job at the new place... Is there more long-term room to move up there than the current employer?

I can't help but to think the new potential employer might value that position or services more for a reason.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 PM

I'm prepared to leave my current job if they say no, I'm pretty pissed that they are low balling me big time for my position there. I need this $10K raise, because money is tight, I'm not going to slave for two years to make money I can make now. It's a small firm that's growing and there is the ability to move up, plus they pay for your certifications and cell phone bill, commuting won't be that big of a deal since I'll be riding the train.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
I'm prepared to leave my current job if they say no, I'm pretty pissed that they are low balling me big time for my position there. I need this $10K raise, because money is tight, I'm not going to slave for two years to make money I can make now. It's a small firm that's growing and there is the ability to move up, plus they pay for your certifications and cell phone bill, commuting won't be that big of a deal since I'll be riding the train.
This is a big plus.

It sounds like a good move, I don't see why you wouldn't do it especially since commuting won't be bad. Congrats on the offer!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Few things to think about: 10K Salary Bump will probably be less then $4000

Marta 1 Year - $1250 of communing Costs
Driving to Marta Station = ~$1000 year (15mile @ 25¢ / Mile)
Taxes on the $10K = $3840

Other Items:
Breakfast/Lunch/Coffee In town ?? $5/Day = $1250 year
Nice Work Clothing ?? $500/Year

When you add the Other Intangibles/Variable costs You are probobly down around $2000 NetGain.

Also How Stable is the IT consulting job, These job come and go with gaining and losing accounts/contracts.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
In your position, I would use the new job offer as leverage and ask for a $15k raise (that's how I roll lol).

I would also bring up the fact that you are paid less than your qualifications/experience. If you like the place, I'd tell them that and how you would rather stay there, but that you need to think about your professional career goals and your personal finances and that with the recovering economy, you feel that what you are asking for is a fair offer.

I'd first ask for a meeting, I'd speak with them during the meeting about the above, and then I'd give them a re-cap of your major points in writing (have it in hand) at the end of the meeting. In my letter, I would state I would be resigning if my conditions were not met, but reiterate that I enjoyed the work for the current company and I'd hope they'd consider my request.

In regards to the new job, IMO it sounds like a good opportunity with room for growth. The free certifications IMO is a huge plus for them and the MARTA accessibility.

Good luck!

ETA: In regards to asking for more money than what the offer is paying, I have found that it is better to ask for more. That way, the company can negotiate down and think they are getting a deal when you reach the $10k more. FWIW, I have asked for $20k more at jobs before when I only wanted a $10k raise lol. It worked to get me the $10k raise.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:46 PM

I decided to take the new job, need a change of pace and scenery, tired of sitting at home all day everyday, I want to get out in the city, get to know some people, plus I feel I will have a chance to grow faster at this company with it being a smaller company. I stay less than 10min (3 miles) from a Marta station, the company is growing which is why they are hiring so I guess that's a good sign.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:00 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
I decided to take the new job, need a change of pace and scenery, tired of sitting at home all day everyday, I want to get out in the city, get to know some people, plus I feel I will have a chance to grow faster at this company with it being a smaller company. I stay less than 10min (3 miles) from a Marta station, the company is growing which is why they are hiring so I guess that's a good sign.
I feel the same negative effect of working from home. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time!

Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta