Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:28 PM

115 posts, read 103,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It won't really affect blacks or Muslims because federal law already prohibits discrimination in public accommodation on the basis of race or religion. It does not protect sexual orientation which is the primary target of this absurd bill. It's basically a way for the legislature to express their anti-gay bigotry and disagreement with the Supreme Court.
According to the bill:

"HB 757 would allow faith-based organizations and individuals to opt out of serving couples – gay or straight – if they cite a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction regarding marriage."

Black, Muslim, interracial couples and LGBT are at risk. Obviously a lawsuit would have to get pass Georgia courts and move toward the Supreme Court, where the legislation will ultimately be killed but a lot of people will suffer before that happens.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherATL View Post
According to the bill:

"HB 757 would allow faith-based organizations and individuals to opt out of serving couples – gay or straight – if they cite a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction regarding marriage."

Black, Muslim, interracial couples and LGBT are at risk. Obviously a lawsuit would have to get pass Georgia courts and move toward the Supreme Court, where the legislation will ultimately be killed but a lot of people will suffer before that happens.
Blacks have a lil bit of money, Muslims have money, interracial couples have money, LGBT has TONS of money. Talk with the wallet and everything will work itself out.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
ChristopherATL - I understand your concerns and don't take exception to any of them at all. However, you may be premature in thinking this is a "done deal". From what I am reading the bill just passed by the Senate has to go back to the house as it is so different from what they initially passed 161-0. Also Governor Deal has just made comments that suggest that he is not wholly comfortable with this extreme bill - so sounds like he is sending some signals to the extremists in the Senate.

Also, as I recall the Indiana and Arkansas State Legislatures tried or may have even passed some bills like this, and in both instances, due to major pressure applied by, Walmart in Arkansas and Eli Lilly in Indiana, both states caved and these bills never went anywhere.

I think something like that will happen here as well, and BTW, Georgia can kiss the movie industry goodbye, if they ever passed something like this. So I really think this stupidity isn't going anywhere because of the economic damage the State (job losses) would suffer from such a blatantly discriminatory move.

Of course I could be wrong about this but it's my take at this point.
I understand your question and I don't take exception to your comments. I know getting upset about this may seem premature, but it is much better for the Georgia economy and reputation if we stop this before it is voted through.

I moved my family here seven years ago. Let's be honest. People outside the South look at this region of the country as having little to add to the U.S. as a whole. BUT...Atlanta's reputation has been undeniably respectable and admired. Businesses were moving here, the film industry is booming, start ups have flourished and the city has been a top performer with international investment and national competitiveness. In turn, Georgia was pulling away from "The Old South" reputation. I have a lot of friends who are seriously considering moving their families here because they too are under the impression that Georgia stands apart from the bigoted ideals that keep this part of the country as a punchline.

I have invested in building a business here. I own a home here. I have kids in school here. I do not want ONE BILL to send us right back into a mindset of oppression or have all the work done to change the reputation here to be in vain. The damage done to Indiana will not go away, even with the inclusion of protections in their bill. People don't forget the headlines to look and see what they did after all the bad press. They remember that Indiana tried to pass discriminatory legislation. I don't want to see that happen to us. If you search this out on Google News, news agencies are already reporting just the Senate passing the bill through. At this point, we are in damage control mode.

Last edited by ChristopherATL; 02-22-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Blacks have a lil bit of money, Muslims have money, interracial couples have money, LGBT has TONS of money. Talk with the wallet and everything will work itself out.
That would be the necessary recourse if the law passes. But I would like to believe we are better than allowing others to discriminate against others EVER. I am not black. I am not Muslim. But I will stand up and fight just as hard for their civil rights. The conservative religious right does not want us banding together. They know if we do, they don't have a chance in hell to do what they have done for hundreds of years.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:58 PM

524 posts, read 521,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherATL View Post
Quick question...As an African American, do you find it wrong when white people sit back and watch cops kill you, one by one? How about when someone burns your churches down or marches in a klan rally?

IF SO, THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF WHY ANYONE ELSE SHOULD FIGHT FOR YOU WHEN YOU REFUSE TO STAND UP FOR OTHERS BEING OPPRESSED?
And where are gay people when African Americans march to protest the unjust killing of unarmed black men by the police? *Crickets* Gays have never shown support for black causes, but you are quick to throw black people in the mix whenever you don't get your way. Sit down silly boy.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Can someone please post the exact words and meaning of this bill. I don't support discrimination but I'm also a Christian and many have nasty attitudes toward us. I want to know exactly what this bill does with no bias.
Exactly. It's only discrimination when it's one of them. But they willfully and maliciously discriminate against Christians, even going as far as to target Christian shop owners to run them out of business.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
And where are gay people when African Americans march to protest the unjust killing of unarmed black men by the police? *Crickets* Gays have never shown support for black causes, but you are quick to throw black people in the mix whenever you don't get your way. Sit down silly boy.
I have been to two rally's for the AA and Latino communites here in Atlanta just in the past year...thank you! And I would be happy to meet you anywhere, anytime for you to "sit me down".

Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I can see right now this thread will either get locked or go for thousands of pages.

Black people are not a monolithic group of people. Just like whites are not, just like Christians are not, just Republicans are not. Im not touching the sexuality of homosexuality topic, but this Our Struggle is YOUR Struggle thing....is as you said insulting. Again I ask what is going on at the Capitol that has the gays riled up??
It doesn't take much to rile them up. I'm a black lesbian and I've never been discriminated against due to my sexuality. It's much ado about nothing. The SCOTUS gave them gay marriage but they are not satisfied.

What this is about is a power struggle between 2% of the population who want to trample on the rights of the majority population.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Plenty of gay people show support for black causes. Many of them are black themselves. In case you forgot that those broad groups are not mutually exclusive, which you should know since you yourself are reportedly a gay black person.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take much to rile them up. I'm a black lesbian and I've never been discriminated against due to my sexuality. It's much ado about nothing. The SCOTUS gave them gay marriage but they are not satisfied.

What this is about is a power struggle between 2% of the population who want to trample on the rights of the majority population.
You are a liar and I have reported you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta