Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:09 PM

148 posts, read 232,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
That's gonna suck. If I were you i'd consider Powder Springs or Vinings. Also the school thing generally amuses me. I mean I get it, everyone wants to be near the highest ranked schools but I mean, it's not as if your kid not attending a top 10 high school is going to restrict them from going to college if you're good at parenting anyways.
You nailed it. The fact that driving from deep into East Cobb to Camp Creek has become an "acceptable" and a "reasonable" commute is depressing, and frankly, a big reason why Atlanta traffic is what it is. I agree that the commute isn't as bad as going East - West or West - East but it is still sad that this is reasonable.

There are several school districts that are just as good that could save you an hour or more a day with your family but the East Cobb mantra has apparently become so strong that you convince yourself that an hour one way to work on a good day is acceptable for your family. To each their own, but this culture of driving in Atlanta is out of control and this thread is a perfect example. Good luck to the OP, having family to help out on the daily grind will certainly help. As an Atlanta native, I would recommend PTC, Fayetteville, Newnan, Mableton, West Marietta, Smyrna, Vinings, or Sandy Springs over East Cobb for your sanity for that commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:14 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,473,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viningsgt View Post
You nailed it. The fact that driving from deep into East Cobb to Camp Creek has become an "acceptable" and a "reasonable" commute is depressing, and frankly, a big reason why Atlanta traffic is what it is. I agree that the commute isn't as bad as going East - West or West - East but it is still sad that this is reasonable.

There are several school districts that are just as good that could save you an hour or more a day with your family but the East Cobb mantra has apparently become so strong that you convince yourself that an hour one way to work on a good day is acceptable for your family. To each their own, but this culture of driving in Atlanta is out of control and this thread is a perfect example. Good luck to the OP, having family to help out on the daily grind will certainly help. As an Atlanta native, I would recommend PTC, Fayetteville, Newnan, Mableton, West Marietta, Smyrna, Vinings, or Sandy Springs over East Cobb for your sanity for that commute.
You make some good points about what has become the accepted culture of driving and commuting in Metro Atlanta.

But we should all keep in mind that the OP is moving from Orange County, California (very major affluent suburb of Los Angeles that straddles a major transcontinental highway (Interstate 5) that has as many as 22-24 lanes and commonly experiences massive traffic delays during morning and evening rush hours).

Coming from Southern California, where the rush hour commutes are much more severe than even Atlanta's challenging rush hour commutes, a roughly 45-minute one-way commute between East Cobb and the Camp Creek Marketplace area likely will not seem like all that much of a challenge on most days.

Also with the OP expressing a very strong desire and determination to live in the East Cobb area because of the quality of the schools and the presence of close friends and family in that area, East Cobb seems to be the area that best fits the needs and wants of the OP and his family.

Plus, the OP will be driving (or 'reverse-commuting') in the opposite direction of the worst traffic on most days, particularly when driving on the West Wall of the I-285 Perimeter when most of the worst traffic will be heading northbound on I-285 towards the Northside in the morning when the OP is headed southbound towards Camp Creek and in the afternoon/evening when most of the worst traffic will be headed on I-285 southbound towards I-20 West when the OP is headed home on I-285 northbound towards East Cobb.

The only problem that the OP will face is when traversing through the I-75/I-285 NW Cobb Cloverleaf, particularly during afternoon/evening rush hours and particularly on Atlanta Braves' game days after the new baseball stadium in Cumberland opens in spring 2017 and the Braves start playing evening home games with 7:05 PM (Eastern Daylight Time) first pitches.

Otherwise, since the OP seemed to only want information about the commute and did not solicit advice about moving to other locations in Metro Atlanta, there seems to be no need to try and persuade the OP to consider moving to metro locations other than East Cobb.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 5,252 times
Default Did you end up moving?

I was wondering if you ended up moving from CA to the Indian Hills, east Cobb area.
My Family is about to relocate to that area and I wanted to see how you liked it?
We are originally from CA as well, and would like to hear your feedback.
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:29 PM

10,342 posts, read 8,552,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee922 View Post
I was wondering if you ended up moving from CA to the Indian Hills, east Cobb area.
My Family is about to relocate to that area and I wanted to see how you liked it?
We are originally from CA as well, and would like to hear your feedback.
Thanks!
I live very close to Indian Hills. That whole community as well as the surrounding area is quite nice. I moved from Pleasanton, Ca a year ago which was a very nice upper middle class area. Safe, good schools , close all amenities.
Outside of weather, I would rate them very close to each other. Also the housing is about 1/3 the cost. I think you will like it there.
I am happy with my relocation.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 5,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I live very close to Indian Hills. That whole community as well as the surrounding area is quite nice. I moved from Pleasanton, Ca a year ago which was a very nice upper middle class area. Safe, good schools , close all amenities.
Outside of weather, I would rate them very close to each other. Also the housing is about 1/3 the cost. I think you will like it there.
I am happy with my relocation.
Great!
I grew up in Northern Ca and know pleasanton well. We are currently living
In tampa and housing here is about the same in terms of cost but I'm Looking forward
To having a whole foods closer and a few other amenities closer to me. Do you have
Kids? If so, Are they involved in activities? Did they find it easy to make friends?
Thanks!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:46 AM

222 posts, read 231,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
You wouldn't need private school in Powder Springs. It's the same school district, the schools are just as good. Move to West Cobb, it's a shorter commute, and more time to spend with your family
Not to mention that it doesn't break the bank either.
You really need to stop saying this. McEachern is no where near as good as Walton, , Lassiter, or Pope. Just because it is in Cobb County does not make it the same quality. Harrison and Hillgrove are the only 2 West Cobb Schools close to the east Cobb trio. MxEachern has fallen off badly the past decade.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 AM

128 posts, read 149,051 times
I know this commute and If you are traveling during rush hour both ways you can count on a minimum of 1 hour each way.
I agree with Aubie16 in that I would NOT recommend Mceachern HS over Walton or Pope.
If you even consider the west side I would recommend Harrison HS. It has a perfect 10 on Great Schools and
the area is beautiful. Houses here are huge and beautiful as well 3478 Sutters Pond Run NW, Kennesaw, GA 30152 | MLS #8056012 | Zillow
if you are looking for a Mcmansion. We also have have The Avenues, Towne Center Mall, Sprouts & Whole Foods, golf & tennis and it will cut your commute time by possibly only 10-15 minutes (in traffic) each way.
Personally, I would choose the longer commute to Indian Hills just to be close to friends and family.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:32 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,402,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
You really need to stop saying this. McEachern is no where near as good as Walton, , Lassiter, or Pope. Just because it is in Cobb County does not make it the same quality. Harrison and Hillgrove are the only 2 West Cobb Schools close to the east Cobb trio. MxEachern has fallen off badly the past decade.
But the thing is, people act as like if your kid doesn't go to one of 10 schools in the city that they're going to end up working at McDonalds. The vast majority of college kids that come out of the metro DON'T go to a top 10 school.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:11 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,659,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Vol View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I really wanted to stay in the Sope Creek Elementary to Walton HS district. I will see how that area looks for schools. As long as I can keep my commute regularly under an hour, that is my goal. We are moving from Orange County, CA, so I am used to traffic, but obviously want to minimize to the extent possible.
Make VERY sure you are in Walton, if that's what you are aiming for -- not all of Sope Creek Elem. feeds into Walton. Some of it feeds in to Wheeler -- which is a good HS, but suffers in comparison to Walton.

Another possibility might be the around around Brookstone in Acworth (Mars Hill Rd & Brookstone/Stilesboro Road0. "ACWORTH!" you might scream? But Brookstone is waaay in the south end of Acworth -- still Cobb County, and great schools -- Harrison HS is a top rated high school, and the elementary and middle schools are also top-tier. You would never have to worry about interstate driving, because you could go backroads to Camp Creek Marketplace in 45 minutes. the housing prices are very attractive, and you'd be reasonably close to East Cobb friends and family.

Food for thought.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:14 AM

10,342 posts, read 8,552,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee922 View Post
Great!
I grew up in Northern Ca and know pleasanton well. We are currently living
In tampa and housing here is about the same in terms of cost but I'm Looking forward
To having a whole foods closer and a few other amenities closer to me. Do you have
Kids? If so, Are they involved in activities? Did they find it easy to make friends?
Thanks!
Sorry no kids. But from what I can see this Area is very family oriented, lots of things for kids. I'm sure once you get them involved you will meet lots of people. People are are quite friendly and easy to talk too. If you're joining Indian hills cc I am sure you will have a busy social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta