Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollen View Post
For you it wouldn't have worked. It's pretty simple really - if you have kids and a job that requires you to visit places all around town, you probably wouldn't buy a place like this. If you don't have clients or kids, you could save a lot of money by living at a place like this and not having to pay a car payment, insurance, gas, etc
Who says that once you have kids, you cannot live a car-free lifestyle? There are ways to raise kids in an urban setting that allows them to grow up normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM

989 posts, read 1,739,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I recall back in my professional days, I spent a lot of times driving around to meetings, to client offices, lunches/ dinners, etc. There just isn't a way that I could have possibly done all of that without a car.
I suspect that you are right, it took a lot of changes in technology that didn't exist 5 years ago. Today it's much easier, because of Uber, Zipcar, and MARTA's making connecting points affordable and easier. I couldn't imagine life without Uber and Zipcar, they create a safety net for me in emergency situations and time constraints. Example is my parking space alone in my condo commands 125 or more a month, that's roughly 15-20 rides a month intown with Uber, and around 12 one hour trips with Zipcar.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:45 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,331,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Who says that once you have kids, you cannot live a car-free lifestyle? There are ways to raise kids in an urban setting that allows them to grow up normal.
I suppose some folks could do it, cq. I just imagine that the majority of people would find it way too difficult. Good for the folks who can, though.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I suppose some folks could do it, cq. I just imagine that the majority of people would find it way too difficult. Good for the folks who can, though.
If we designed our cities like we did pre-WW2 it would be very easy and most likely the preferred option over driving.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,846,635 times
Yes, I do a lot of business travel. It is easier not to have a car. And most will just take a taxi and expense it. Uber and Lyft make it easy to do that now. For most major meetings and things the company usually has a shuttle that will pickup. I just got back from a trip to Boston and did not set foot in a car the entire trip. Was able to get everywhere by walking, shuttle bus, or train.

Business travel is actually a great example of how easy it is to go without owning a car.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yes, I do a lot of business travel. It is easier not to have a car. And most will just take a taxi and expense it. Uber and Lyft make it easy to do that now. For most major meetings and things the company usually has a shuttle that will pickup. I just got back from a trip to Boston and did not set foot in a car the entire trip. Was able to get everywhere by walking, shuttle bus, or train.

Business travel is actually a great example of how easy it is to go without owning a car.
That is the dream...

Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,331,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If we designed our cities like we did pre-WW2 it would be very easy and most likely the preferred option over driving.
Yep. Too bad we cannot turn back time and start over.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 PM

770 posts, read 601,845 times
Midtown is the closest so far to that, still not quite possible.

Though you can see what may happen in 15-20 years if markets stay up largely, all these different areas will begin to merge, midtown, downtown, westside, ponce, atlantic station. Then maybe itll truly be walkable.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post

Though you can see what may happen in 15-20 years if markets stay up largely, all these different areas will begin to merge, midtown, downtown, westside, ponce, atlantic station. Then maybe itll truly be walkable.
How so? Midtown offers several grocery stores, transit stations, sidewalks, retail, restaurants, etc.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,846,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
When I lived in Midtown in 2009 - 2012 I did not own a car. Not only is it "possible", it saved me a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta