Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times

Advertisements

My guesstimate would be that many are being acquired by investors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 PM

111 posts, read 104,894 times
Well I hope this is true! I just listed a 1 bedroom condo on the beltline in Poncey Highlands. It has been great to see the condos escalate so much after beltline was built. It was just rock bottom only 3-4 years ago. Now I can get out before the flood of apartments are converted to condos in the next few years.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
lol @ the article's claim, which is impossible to verify but most likely totally wrong. Condos were hugely overvalued circa 2007 (remember the $500,000 1/1s in that Atlantic Station condo building?). It's certain that sky-high price appreciation, much greater than that of metro-wide SFHs, preceded that period, obviously followed by a dramatic crash. Case Shiller doesn't keep a condo index for Atlanta like it does some other metro areas because the market is small. So there's no telling.

Maybe there's some condo index or something they're referencing behind the paywall, but the idea of a SFH index beating a condo index YOY going back into history through all time is pretty absurd (houses would be worth several times what condos are worth if this were the case). Both would be quite volatile indices over the years, if the condo index even exists.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 PM

364 posts, read 418,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
lol @ the article's claim, which is impossible to verify but most likely totally wrong. Condos were hugely overvalued circa 2007 (remember the $500,000 1/1s in that Atlantic Station condo building?). It's certain that sky-high price appreciation, much greater than that of metro-wide SFHs, preceded that period, obviously followed by a dramatic crash. Case Shiller doesn't keep a condo index for Atlanta like it does some other metro areas because the market is small. So there's no telling.

Maybe there's some condo index or something they're referencing behind the paywall, but the idea of a SFH index beating a condo index YOY going back into history through all time is pretty absurd (houses would be worth several times what condos are worth if this were the case). Both would be quite volatile indices over the years, if the condo index even exists.
Article says condos appreciated 9% while SFH only appreciated 5.4%. It also claims this is the first time in history that Condos have appreciated faster. Just because pockets of condos appreciate faster doesn't mean overall for the city that condos would as this is looking at city wide for Atlanta. I'm sure some submarkets have differing dynamics.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:54 PM

111 posts, read 104,894 times
All I know I was at $60K at the beginning of 2013 and now have an offer well over $100K more than that value even including closing costs. Of course I'm right on the beltline between Poncy Market and Inman Park. I'm happy about that. It sure seems pricing have been rising crazy in the last few years. So over 100K increase in just over 3 years for a condo isn't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta