Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think in this case, 'Atlanta' would mean the 5 core counties, which would be a blue state (even including Cobb). And the population is about half of the state's, or close to it.
Sure, but those 5 counties would have a huge numerical advantage at the voting booth compared to the COA, and those counties tend to have a different political philosophy.

Basically, the COA is a small percentage of the population and already has an out sized influence. This thread is a good example of people thinking Atlanta is bigger and more influential than it really is. The COA needs to focus on building coalitions instead of making demands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
No, the point is that there are liberals in this state. Millions of us in number, even. We're located inside the perimeter and immediately around it, in parts of all 5 of those counties. It's the area called 'Atlanta', but most of it is not actually in the city limits of that city. 'Atlanta' has millions of people, is hugely big and hugely influential and important, yet because of political geographical lines that favor Republicans, it gets very low Democratic representation, and the state politics are dominated by the rural half of the people.

The 2 most blue counties are Dekalb and Clayton, neither of which are mostly in Atlanta proper. The actual city of Atlanta population is about as useful stat as the city of London population (look it up, it's a tiny little area).

Anyway, I agree about the need to stengthen political coalitions within the existing system. But I can acknowledge that progressive interests get unfairly screwed over by that system, in this state. The city proper is limited by its small size and population. The inner counties are limited by the state. The inner parts of the suburban counties are limited by their rural areas and the conservatives living out there.

So the ultimate result is that there is a very large liberal urban area here, even concentrated geographically, but it's limited by not being unified or represented as a political entity of any kind.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:44 AM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Its time for the city of Atlanta and whoever else that wants to join to form a new state.
Do not want.

I live in a more rural part of the state where a good amount of $$$ in our area comes straight from metro Atlanta (Georgia Southern students). I want it to stay that way.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
(...Northern Virginia is basically part of the Boston-NYC-Philly-Washington Northeastern Corridor while the rest of Virginia is basically the Deep South.)
Now I wouldn't go that far; Richmond, Hampton Roads, and Charlottesville certainly aren't the Deep South. But I get your sentiment, although NoVA, along with Richmond and Hampton Roads to a lesser extent, is pulling the state to the left.

While I miss Atlanta, it's very obvious that the state of Georgia holds it back and that's so unfortunate.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Do not want.

I live in a more rural part of the state where a good amount of $$$ in our area comes straight from metro Atlanta (Georgia Southern students). I want it to stay that way.
Well more dollars would come to you all if rural GA would let Atlanta be Atlanta. Our relationship isnt good anymore. Its about time for a divorce. You sound like a pimp. You want all our money but we dont get much in return

Old 03-01-2016, 06:58 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think in this case, 'Atlanta' would mean the 5 core counties, which would be a blue state (even including Cobb). And the population is about half of the state's, or close to it.
The State of Atlanta would be smaller than Delaware, I bet. And, it would be like the country of Lesotho which is completely surrounded by South Africa. I've always found that interesting.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Do not want.

Folks in Atlanta oftentimes forget, overlook or simply don't know how important the non-Atlanta parts of Georgia are. Being from rural south Georgia, I could never support creating a separate State of Atlanta.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
If Georgia were to get broken up, which I doubt would ever happen, it would probably be a north/south split occurring roughly along the fall line.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Folks in Atlanta oftentimes forget, overlook or simply don't know how important the non-Atlanta parts of Georgia are. Being from rural south Georgia, I could never support creating a separate State of Atlanta.
I have been living in Atlanta for years and I'm gettin' real tired of people on this board painting folks from my native South GA with a broad, negative brush. Especially when all the recent "hits against Atlanta" have come from its next door neighbors like Cobb, the mountains, and NORTH FULTON (Hello!!!!).

Many people from across the state visit Atlanta all the time visiting the many attractions, having fun for a weekend trip, or simply just flying out of Hartsfield. In other words: pumping money into the Atlanta economy. Not to mention the various natural, agricultural, and logistical benefits the rest of the state provides.

Literally the only thing other Georgians hate about Atlanta is the traffic and how its residents tend to look down on the them. If there is ill-will towards Atlanta from the rest of GA its generally coming from its political "leaders" who only listen to the vocal minority and not the majority. Sound familiar??

Old 03-01-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Literally the only thing other Georgians hate about Atlanta is the traffic and how its residents tend to look down on the them. If there is ill-will towards Atlanta from the rest of GA its generally coming from its political "leaders" who only listen to the vocal minority and not the majority. Sound familiar??
Spot on, alco89.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta