Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 04:08 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Anyways, I secretly hope that this bill is signed by Deal because it will expose that the ass-backwards white social conservatives of this state are no different than the others in neighboring Southern states. This type of strategy is clearly economically suicidal, but so be it. I've noticed one thing is the relative silence of Atlanta's will-integrated with LGBTs and advocates black activists file on this issue.
The opposition to gay marriage is not just from white social conservatives.

Why resistance remains among black Democrats for gay marriage

Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage | Pew Research Center

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:00 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
It is everyone's choice what they believe and they shouldn't be forced to accept your beliefs
I think they should. That's called a functioning Western society. For made-up example, Joe can still believe it's his religion-given right to stone his wife to death if she violates some strict religious rule. But the prevailing, popular humanist/secular belief is that such act is wrong and it is unjustified murder no matter what any holy text says or not, and therefore he should be thrown right in jail. Which means essentially he is forced to accept the prevailing beliefs. As he should be.

Some ideas are simply better than others, in that they lead to healthier and happier individuals and societies.

People should be forced to accept the enlightened modern liberal beliefs about racism or antisemitism. Your private thoughts are all your own, but you can't not serve the Blacks or the Jews at your hotel or whatever.

Basically the same thing when it comes to gay civil rights and how we as general society treat gay people. You can believe same-sex love or marriage is morally wrong, and you can preach that at your church. In the public environment however, you shouldn't be able to fire your employee just because you found out he was married to a man, and you shouldn't be able to put up a sign in the window of your business that says "LGBT not served here", just because you hold a sincere belief.

Your religious liberty stops where other people's lives begin. And their right to fair treatment and such.

Anyway, going back to the bill on the Governor's desk: the compromise version specifically deals with gay weddings, and specifically says that it's OK for a business to discriminate against them. So in other words, in a practical sense, it would strip LGBT engaged couples of the right to conduct their wedding normally, as a straight couple would be able to do. At best, the LGBT couple would have to find non-discriminating services for every function that they need, such as photographer, etc.

Most of us do not believe gay people are second class or they should be treated differently in our society, so we oppose this legislation for that reason, and we hope that Deal will veto it.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,155 times
[quote=arjay57;43449922]The opposition to gay marriage is not just from white social conservatives.

Why resistance remains among black Democrats for gay marriage

Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage | Pew Research Center

[/QUOTE

I find these polling results highly dubious as they pertain to Blacks (I am one) and most of my family and friends could care less about same sex marriage and support the the LGBT community having the same rights and privileges as all of us. So unless you can show me some other polls or information I would deem this poll as an outlier.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sir, that overall trend that blacks are oppose to same-sex marriage equity is as bogus as a $3 bill... Ambivalence (i.e., indifference) and opposition are two different things. Yeah, that is what most black Americans (including many black LGBTQs) are indifferent or ambivalent about marriage equality because there are many other pertinent issues affecting us daily including continuation of employment discrimination, anti-black sentiments that have come back to the forefront with the vengeance, or other forms of economic discrimination (including housing, finance, etc.)

This bill is a white social conservative Trojan horse to marginalize everyone that is not a white heterosexual male. So let's not play "fast and loose" stats when you know what I just said is a FACT.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Sir, that overall trend that blacks are oppose to same-sex marriage equity is as bogus as a $3 bill... Ambivalence (i.e., indifference) and opposition are two different things. Yeah, that is what most black Americans (including many black LGBTQs) are indifferent or ambivalent about marriage equality because there are many other pertinent issues affecting us daily including continuation of employment discrimination, anti-black sentiments that have come back to the forefront with the vengeance, or other forms of economic discrimination (including housing, finance, etc.)

This bill is a white social conservative Trojan horse to marginalize everyone that is not a white heterosexual male. So let's not play "fast and loose" stats when you know what I just said is a FACT.
Ive been trying to tell these folks for weeks leave black people out of this. A white gay man is gay before he is white, a black gay man is black before he is gay........

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Georgia state Senator Greg Kirk of Americus, in rural South Georgia, held a press conference today at the Georgia Capitol to make statements expressing his support for the bill and to answer questions from the media about the controversial religious liberty bill which is officially known as the "Georgia Free Exercise Protection Act".

Senator Kirk, an ordained minister, authored the portion of the bill known as FADA (or First Amendment Defense Act) that was added to the much less controversial PPA (Pastor Protection Act) that was initially pushed by Georgia House Speaker David Ralston early-on as an attempt to avoid the growing intense controversy that the state now finds itself increasingly embroiled in.

From the looks of it, I don't necessarily get the feeling Senator Kirk seemed to help improve the chances of this increasingly controversial bill being signed into law by a seemingly reluctant and skeptical Governor Deal.

Here is the link to the actual video footage of Senator Kirk's press conference which is nearly 23 minutes long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGCH4KPDX4

"Georgia Senator supports and explains Religious Freedom Bill" (CBS 46/WGCL-TV Atlanta)
Georgia Senator supports and explains Religious Freedom Bill - CBS46 News

"Senator defends religious freedom bill" (Talk 750 AM-News 95.5 FM/WSB Radio Atlanta)
Senator defends religious freedom bill | www.wsbradio.com

Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
The economic fallout is already beginning....
Quote:
ACVB President and Chief Executive Officer William Pate said he “fully expects” the company, which the ACVB did not identify, to be the first casualty of the bill. The loss of the convention will cost the city from $10 million to $15 million, Pate told WXIA.
If all 15 companies concerned about the bill decide not to come, that could cost the city up to $6 billion, Pate said.
The legislation includes a “pastor-protection” provision previously approved by the House earlier this year that would prevent pastors from being required to perform a same-sex marriage ceremony if it conflicts with their religious beliefs. (Click here to read a Atlanta Business Chronicle story that explains more about the bill.)
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...ences-due.html

Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I find these polling results highly dubious as they pertain to Blacks (I am one) and most of my family and friends could care less about same sex marriage and support the the LGBT community having the same rights and privileges as all of us. So unless you can show me some other polls or information I would deem this poll as an outlier.

Well, I'm no statistician but it is my understanding that Pew repeats these surveys every year or so, going back quite a while. I think they are generally considered reputable.

Their results seem to be in line with other polling data.

Blacks as Conservative as Republicans on Some Moral Issues - Gallup

Social Conservatism Is GOP's Key to Winning Black Support - The Root

Old 03-23-2016, 07:48 AM

1,057 posts, read 867,954 times
The fact that the bill hasn't been signed yet is a good sign. Deal is probably telling business leaders that he waiting for the legislative secession to end before vetoing the bill

Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
The fact that the bill hasn't been signed yet is a good sign. Deal is probably telling business leaders that he waiting for the legislative secession to end before vetoing the bill
He would wait regardless (bills don't reach Deal's desk until after sine die), which is why I find the VETO NOW push to be funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta