Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I am equally confused - is this in addition to the current bill or instead of? Plus I don't understand how this solves a problem.
I'm hoping the updated news article will explain the bill's intent in non-legalese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:30 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
I am equally confused - is this in addition to the current bill or instead of? Plus I don't understand how this solves a problem.
None of these bills solve a problem. They are vehicles for politicians to express their anti-gay animus and disagreement with the Supreme Court.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:07 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
A decision may be coming soon...
Nathan Deal says he

Old 03-24-2016, 08:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I'd like to see some more strenuous threats from NC companies right now, just to push Deal into making the right choice. Being "disappointed" isn't saying much.

Businesses Are Joining The Fight Against North Carolina's Anti-LGBT Law

Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
It looks like the general assembly is trying to pass another "religious liberty" bill. This time for businesses..
Lawmakers to take up 11th hour 'religious liberty' bill | www.ajc.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I confess I don't get this one. It provides cause for employees to sue if they are harmed by a company's violation of its own non-discrimination policy, if that policy extends beyond state and federal nondiscrimination law?

Is this attempting to disincentivize companies from extending antidiscrimination protections to non-protected classes?

You lawyers, what's the deal here?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I'm hoping the updated news article will explain the bill's intent in non-legalese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
None of these bills solve a problem. They are vehicles for politicians to express their anti-gay animus and disagreement with the Supreme Court.
atltechdude hit the nail right on the head...

None of these bills solve any real problem. These bills only play to fears of perceived problems while creating massive new real problems that damage the state's image and economy (and ultimately its quality-of-life).

The key part of the article that Airforceguy linked to about the new 11th hour religious liberty measure is this part right here:

Quote:
As lawmakers, lobbyists and business groups began to digest the new HB 904, many were coming to the conclusion that it is designed as a shot across the bow of Georgia businesses.
This new bill (HB 904) is basically retaliation to the business community for so vocally and strongly opposing HB 757 (the Georgia Free Exercise Protection Act).

It appears that they are basically threatening to open the business community up to a massive amount of litigation concerning their own anti-discrimination clauses if they continue to so vocally oppose HB 757.

The social ultraconservatives in the Georgia Legislature are basically attempting to declare all-out war on the business community (the national business community) for its very vocal opposition to HB 757.

The legislature pulled a retaliatory move like this back in 2015 when they took away Delta Airlines' tax credit in retaliation for Delta CEO Richard Anderson's opposition to last year's effort to pass state Senator Josh McKoon's RFRA bill which was added to this year's Free Exercise Protection Act.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
It looks like the 11th hour "religious liberty" bill has failed. Thank God....
Lawmakers to take up 11th hour 'religious liberty' bill | www.ajc.com

Old 03-24-2016, 08:31 PM

Here is more about the new religious liberty measure that the legislature is considering at the 11th hour...

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Quote:
Our AJC colleagues Aaron Gould Sheinin and Kristina Torres broke the story tonight about the late arriving “religious liberty” measure that is the talk of the Capitol.

HB 904 seems less of a potential fix to address concerns expressed by critics of HB 757, the bill sent to the governor last week, intended to offer legal shelter to opponents of same-sex marriage.

Rather, the bill appears to be punishment for one class of HB 757 critics — specifically, the Georgia business community.

The bill appears to make it easier for individuals to launch expensive class action suits — which Republicans in the General Assembly have historically opposed — against corporations with anti-discrimination policies that go beyond what is required by federal and state law. Specifically, LGBT protections.

Critics are already describing House Bill 904 as a shot across the bow at the industry groups that have maligned the Legislature for passing the “religious liberty” legislation. “It’s payback time,” said one influential lobbyist.

Here’s a copy of the bill. Let us know what you think.

But let us leave you with this thought: Revenge is usually sought after a cause is lost, and not before. You have to wonder the forces behind this legislation know something about Gov. Nathan Deal’s mind that we don’t.
"Latest entry in ‘religious liberty’ fight takes aim at business" (AJC/Political Insider)
Latest entry in ‘religious liberty’ fight takes aim at business* | Political Insider blog

Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
"Sine die" refers to the final day the legislature is in session.
Quote:
Which is today, right?
Quote:
Yep.
THANKFULLY (and MERCIFULLY) today is the last day of the 2016 legislative session of the Georgia General Assembly (a gathering that should otherwise be known as the annual "Georgia Demolition Derby").

This group has done more than enough damage to this state's image, reputation and long-term economic health and well-being in just one legislative session to last a lifetime.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
THANKFULLY (and MERCIFULLY) today is the last day of the 2016 legislative session of the Georgia General Assembly (a gathering that should otherwise be known as the annual "Georgia Demolition Derby").

This group has done more than enough damage to this state's image, reputation and long-term economic health and well-being in just one legislative session to last a lifetime.
I think we all might have grounds for a class-action lawsuit for the pain and suffering they've caused us!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Ah, I think you meant Sunday... took me a moment (that was a strange autocorrect!)

It would be nice if he made it his first act of the day to veto that bill, but I'm betting he'll test the political waters a while longer before making a decision.
I am hopeful (but not certain) that Governor Deal will veto the bill. If he does decide to veto the bill he may take some time to make it appear to the supporters of this bill (who are an extremely powerful faction, much more powerful than might appear and many might seem to think) that he is giving very careful thought and consideration to their viewpoint and not vowing to pressure from (or selling out to) outside groups....Which is what the supporters of HB 757 will most certainly allege if Governor Deal vetoes the bill....That Deal sold out them and the state out to outside big business and LGBTQ interests.

Though, I do fear the possibility that the business community may potentially be overplaying its hand and forcing to Deal to think that he needs to appear to the supporters of this bill (who currently dominate the Georgia electorate) as if he is standing up to outside pressure by signing this bill into law.

The factions who oppose this bill have to keep in mind that the pressure on Deal to sign this bill into law is just as intense from the supporters of this bill as it is from the people who oppose this bill.

Numerous conservative interest groups are running robocalls and applying extremely intense pressure to the governor to sign this bill into law....So people who oppose and dislike this bill and view it as being catastrophically damaging to the state's image, reputation and economy have to be prepared for the possibility that the governor may potentially sign the bill into law despite the obvious and growing economic costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta