Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
His statement was somewhat odd, in my opinion. He certainly doesn't go all-in on anti-discrimination:

The argument here seems to be that the bill is unnecessary because LGBT citizens can already be discriminated against in Georgia. While that's likely true, it's not exactly the message I'd have liked to hear.

On the other hand, he took a rhetorical shot at the business community:

So, I don't know. It's fair to say I liked the decision more than his statement about it.
I agree with you that his statement implied that LGBT citizens can already be discriminated against, but given the way his party in the legislature voted for it in a huge way, I think his statement was well crafted. Had it been a Democratic governor, it would be much different, but to veto a bill that nearly all in your party pushed through...that is not easy politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Its because CNN is based here. Whatever big news story that has the potential for good ratings will be blasted on CNN
I think CNN is a big part of this, yes. I also think it's because Hollywood has such a vested interest in GA.

We're the top story on Hollywood Reporter this morning too:

Entertainment/Hollywood News - Hollywood Reporter

Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I want him to say it's wrong to discriminate against a human being based on their sexual orientation. Obviously, I understand why he didn't say that -- among other things, he probably doesn't believe it. I can be disappointed without being surprised.
He was not just "preaching to the choir" in his speech. He said Georgians are good people that do not discriminate, and this bill is discrimination--we are better than that. That probably did more to push some folks to think a little differently about the issue, than if he started sounding like Bernie Sanders--while that might make progressives feel better, those aren't the minds he is trying to change.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
He was not just "preaching to the choir" in his speech. He said Georgians are good people that do not discriminate, and this bill is discrimination--we are better than that. That probably did more to push some folks to think a little differently about the issue, than if he started sounding like Bernie Sanders--while that might make progressives feel better, those aren't the minds he is trying to change.
I don't think flatly stating that discrimination is wrong is particularly progressive in 2016, or would make him sound like Bernie Sanders, but again, I think I understand why his statement took the tone it did. It is what it is, and I'm not sure why we're arguing about it. It seems we both agree he made the right decision.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I wonder why NC isn't receiving backlash? Someone said that a NBA game or something to that affect was going to NC vs GA because of this dumb bill. NC Governor passed their religious bill so why are we not hearing more about that? Also, a couple of years ago, everyone was saying that NC was becoming Democratic but today it seems to be quit the opposite.
Oh if you don't think North Carolina is feeling the backlash, you just haven't been paying attention.

Backlash Grows Against North Carolina's Anti-LGBT Law - BuzzFeed News

A big lawsuit has been filed against North Carolina's anti-LGBTQ law - Vox

Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Hopefully the federal gov will pass a bill to help prevent this from happening again or some new issue will come up that will be more important that will take the focus off of this
That doesn't stand an iceberg chance in hell with the GOP-led Congress...

Old 03-28-2016, 12:15 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Oh if you don't think North Carolina is feeling the backlash, you just haven't been paying attention.

Backlash Grows Against North Carolina's Anti-LGBT Law - BuzzFeed News

A big lawsuit has been filed against North Carolina's anti-LGBTQ law - Vox
This is some mess that willfully ignorant individuals will wind up regretting in the long run because it will cost these states billions of dollars and economic development opportunities that would have likely gone there. NC is in the same boat as GA, it has too many apathetic non-whites and white progressive and moderates that get too damn comfortable too quickly. You cannot rest on your laurels when you reside in a state that has a long history of overt legalized discrimination.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times

Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 PM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Given the man's last name, this may be the best use of this meme ever.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:31 PM

346 posts, read 388,450 times
Quote:
Its because CNN is based here. Whatever big news story that has the potential for good ratings will be blasted on CNN
It's not just CNN. Do a Google news search of "Georgia Nathan Deal" or #Georgia on Twitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta