Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:27 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,184,414 times

Advertisements

The senate passed it. Now it goes to Gov. Deal for a signature. The next week should be interesting to see whether or not Gov. Deal will veto the bill...
Republican lawmakers prepping religious liberty compromise | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,706,118 times
So, taking bets, how long until this gets pulled up to the supreme court and stricken down as Unconstitutional?

Bonus bet, how much money will the state loose because of this bill, both in lost business and in legal fees defending it?

That's assuming it gets through Deal, though.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,266,006 times
I'm angry to see it pass but I'm not hopeless yet. Nathan Deal is a conservative, but he's also very pro-business and term-limited. The extreme fringe of the Republican party, who has been convinced by the media they consume that white Christians are the most discriminated-against segment of society, are not his base. Business leaders are his base. He's conservative, but he's not dumb. I think he'll veto it.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:24 PM

1,057 posts, read 870,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I'm angry to see it pass but I'm not hopeless yet. Nathan Deal is a conservative, but he's also very pro-business and term-limited. The extreme fringe of the Republican party, who has been convinced by the media they consume that white Christians are the most discriminated-against segment of society, are not his base. Business leaders are his base. He's conservative, but he's not dumb. I think he'll veto it.
Even that loon, Erick Erickson, doesn't like Nathan deal anymore.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,559,690 times
I know that progressives (along with much of the big business community, particularly in Metro Atlanta) are not going to like this bill.

But for a state like Georgia with a deeply conservative and deeply religious electorate that has been increasingly anxious in recent years as same-sex marriage has been legalized nationwide, this bill is a good compromise (as good as it gets anyways).

The federal RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act) language that social and religious conservatives had been trying to push through the legislature for the past 3 years was passed as part of the bill but has the anti-discrimination language that Republican moderates and Democrats tried to add to the bill in the 2015 session.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
this bill is a good compromise (as good as it gets anyways).

The federal RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act) language that social and religious conservatives had been trying to push through the legislature for the past 3 years was passed as part of the bill but has the anti-discrimination language that Republican moderates and Democrats tried to add to the bill in the 2015 session.
Can you find for me the anti-discrimination language you're talking about? Here is the text of the bill: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/157608.pdf

I've read it twice, and don't see any sort of anti-discrimination language. I don't believe that this is a compromise at all.

Last edited by magnetar; 03-16-2016 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,706,118 times
Here is Govenor Deal's domestic contact page. Give him a shout against this bill.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Here is Govenor Deal's domestic contact page. Give him a shout against this bill.
You can also call and leave a message when his office opens tomorrow morning at 404-656-1776.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,171,757 times
The single best thing Deal can do to the "religious liberty" bill is to veto it in its entirety.

Anything less than that and he is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,559,690 times
Quote:
Can you find for me the anti-discrimination language you're talking about? Here is the text of the bill: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/157608.pdf

I've read it twice, and don't see any sort of anti-discrimination language.
The version of the bill that you linked to was the version of the bill that only has 157 lines and was passed by the Georgia Senate back in February (...the version of the bill where the Senate added the much more controversial FADA ("First Amendment Defense Act") to the less-controversial PPA ("Pastor Protection Act")).

This is the version that was passed on Wednesday night that has the 'anti-discrimination' language in it beginning on Line 211...
http://www.georgiapol.com/wp-content...-3.54-PM-1.pdf

Quote:
(b) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to:
(1) Permit invidious discrimination on any grounds prohibited by federal or state law:

Quote:
I don't believe that this is a compromise at all.
If you are against discrimination of any kind, you will likely most definitely NOT consider this a compromise....And it does not appear that the business community will consider this a compromise, either.

But if you are a member of the supermajority Republican caucus in the Georgia Legislature (particularly if you are one of the many members of the supermajority Republican legislative caucus who is facing a challenge from your ultraconservative right flank in the May primary) this is unfortunately what you would consider a compromise in a deeply conservative legislative body in a somewhat hostile climate in an election year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta