Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:08 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times

Advertisements

Okay I can understand directing traffic after major events that have thousands of people leaving, but seriously parking lots, one of two people crossing for a church service, and other small events is just too much. In some cases the police officers are making traffic worse when the light could do a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Police directing traffic seems to always make everything much worse.

When they have events at Gwinnett Arena, instead of directing traffic, police just manually control the traffic lights. Things seem to flow much smoother that way. I'm not sure if that's why or just because things are generally designed better around that venue.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:20 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Most of them are "Extra" duty (Overtime) jobs.

The Event, Church, Company Parking lot is paying them to be there.

They know who is ultimately paying them, and will favor the Event/Church/... as they direct traffic to get them out faster easier etc.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Okay I can understand directing traffic after major events that have thousands of people leaving, but seriously parking lots, one of two people crossing for a church service, and other small events is just too much. In some cases the police officers are making traffic worse when the light could do a better job.
Agreed, too many cops stopping traffic on roads to help people leave parking garages in midtown, and especially in downtown. If you drive, you wait your turn to get out like everybody else - no need for a cop to stop traffic. If it really is needed, then a stop light should be installed. Cops seem to make traffic worse when they are directing it.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default What the hell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Agreed, too many cops stopping traffic on roads to help people leave parking garages in midtown, and especially in downtown. If you drive, you wait your turn to get out like everybody else - no need for a cop to stop traffic. If it really is needed, then a stop light should be installed. Cops seem to make traffic worse when they are directing it.

Yes, I absolutely agree that it often makes a traffic situation or traffic flow worse which in and of itself is pure aggravation.
But, note flyonpa's comments above. It's the city policy that allows OFF DUTY police to be hired to handle parking lot or special event traffic that is the culprit. To compound it, they wear police uniforms & have police authority to enforce their will even though they are doing the directing at the behest of whichever private employer has hired their services.
Be clear in understanding that it is not the City of Atlanta that has sent them out to do this directing that we are complaining about here.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, I absolutely agree that it often makes a traffic situation or traffic flow worse which in and of itself is pure aggravation.
But, note flyonpa's comments above. It's the city policy that allows OFF DUTY police to be hired to handle parking lot or special event traffic that is the culprit. To compound it, they wear police uniforms & have police authority to enforce their will even though they are doing the directing at the behest of whichever private employer has hired their services.
Be clear in understanding that it is not the City of Atlanta that has sent them out to do this directing that we are complaining about here.
Yeah, I've found that out when I'm biking in the Peachtree Center Cycle Track downtown. There were cars using the cycle track as a turn lane, and a cop about 500 ft away helping pedestrians cross the street. He was in an APD uniform, so I asked him if he was going to do anything about all of the illegal driving just ahead, and he said he couldn't because he was not on duty. To say the least, I was PO'd, and told him if he wasn't going to enforce laws for the City of Atlanta, he shouldn't be wearing a City of Atlanta uniform. Very aggravating.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:28 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default What the hell...

Quote:
Yeah, I've found that out when I'm biking in the Peachtree Center Cycle Track downtown. There were cars using the cycle track as a turn lane, and a cop about 500 ft away helping pedestrians cross the street. He was in an APD uniform, so I asked him if he was going to do anything about all of the illegal driving just ahead, and he said he couldn't because he was not on duty. To say the least, I was PO'd, and told him if he wasn't going to enforce laws for the City of Atlanta, he shouldn't be wearing a City of Atlanta uniform. Very aggravating.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
The Bike Collation can hire a "Extra" Duty cop to enforce it...

Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Bike Collation can hire a "Extra" Duty cop to enforce it...
Right, because they have the same money at their disposal as the Hyatt, GP, and Suntrust We shouldn't need to hire off-duty police officers in APD uniforms to enforce city laws.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
It is annoying to get delayed, but in many instances the folks leaving the parking lots would never get out of there if the police weren't assisting. I drive by some decks on Auburn, and depending on the day of the week and GSU class schedules, traffic control is needed or the people leaving the GSU deck would be trapped.

Of all the things to bellyache about. It's Friday. Quit whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: