Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,130,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Although I am a Gen-Xer, I believe that jobs are another factor that drives a lot of millenials out to the 'burbs at some point. Intown living is great if your job in also somewhere intown. On the other hand, it could get dicey if your next step up the corporate ladder takes you to a company in Alpharetta, Duluth, or Kennesaw.

From a personal standpoint, intown living also seems to be very costly even if you are closer to work. We make a decent living, but I honestly have never understood how some folks could afford these $200-400K homes on typical Atlanta salaries. I definitely must be missing something!
Dual income households and $200-400K is a steal for intown neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Dual income households and $200-400K is a steal for intown neighborhoods.
We are a dual income household (over $100K/year combined in fact). However, we still do not feel that we can afford a $200-400K home. That is one of the main reasons why we live way out in a cheaper home.

On another note, household budgets should be based on one income and not both. You never know when a layoff/downsizing will strike, so basing your mortgage on both incomes is very risky.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM

994 posts, read 1,542,740 times
Quote:

On another note, household budgets should be based on one income and not both. You never know when a layoff/downsizing will strike, so basing your mortgage on both incomes is very risky.
Very true. We came slightly late to the party on this wisdom, but couples should at all costs plan to live (or budget) according to ONE income.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,888,552 times
Quote:
We are a dual income household (over $100K/year combined in fact). However, we still do not feel that we can afford a $200-400K home. That is one of the main reasons why we live way out in a cheaper home.
You can find cheaper homes close or far. But people rarely properly factor in transportation costs in when choosing homes. Transportation costs can sometimes be more than living costs for people with long commutes.

Most of the affordable places to live when you include transportation and housing together are closer into the city:

http://documents.atlantaregional.com...y_Fulldeck.pdf

Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You can find cheaper homes close or far. But people rarely properly factor in transportation costs in when choosing homes. Transportation costs can sometimes be more than living costs for people with long commutes.

Most of the affordable places to live when you include transportation and housing together are closer into the city:

http://documents.atlantaregional.com...y_Fulldeck.pdf

I won't say that exact cost, but our home was less than $150K. That's not possible in most ITP neighborhoods with decent schools. On top of that, since I work in North Fulton there wouldn't be any real cost savings on the commute compared to our current spot in Gwinnett.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
Quote:

Big L, I wish more folks were financially conservative like you are. Just read a story on CNN that 25% of Americans have saved nothing for retirement and another 16% have only $1,000 - $10,000 in retirement savings. That's pretty darn scary! Looking back, I wish I had scrimped a bit more on housing when I was younger and put more away in savings. I pray my children are learning to be good savers so that they can comfortably retire before they are too old to enjoy retirement.

1 in 4 have less than $1,000 saved for retirement - Mar. 22, 2016

Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Big L, I wish more folks were financially conservative like you are. Just read a story on CNN that 25% of Americans have saved nothing for retirement and another 16% have only $1,000 - $10,000 in retirement savings. That's pretty darn scary! Looking back, I wish I had scrimped a bit more on housing when I was younger and put more away in savings. I pray my children are learning to be good savers so that they can comfortably retire before they are too old to enjoy retirement.

1 in 4 have less than $1,000 saved for retirement - Mar. 22, 2016
The guberment will take care of us.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 AM
bu2

24,117 posts, read 14,925,167 times
Quote:
Although I am a Gen-Xer, I believe that jobs are another factor that drives a lot of millenials out to the 'burbs at some point. Intown living is great if your job in also somewhere intown. On the other hand, it could get dicey if your next step up the corporate ladder takes you to a company in Alpharetta, Duluth, or Kennesaw.

From a personal standpoint, intown living also seems to be very costly even if you are closer to work. We make a decent living, but I honestly have never understood how some folks could afford these $200-400K homes on typical Atlanta salaries. I definitely must be missing something!
Don't forget the BMWs and 2 kids with private school tuitions!

Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,888,552 times
Quote:
I won't say that exact cost, but our home was less than $150K. That's not possible in most ITP neighborhoods with decent schools. On top of that, since I work in North Fulton there wouldn't be any real cost savings on the commute compared to our current spot in Gwinnett.
My 4 bedroom home in town was $150k, it is in the Jackson HS district which is one of the best up and coming districts. Plus near some good charter schools.

Of course if you are still going to have a long car-dependent commute you are right that you will not see those cost savings. That is why many employers are heading the call of their employees and are locating closer in and / or near transit stations.

I am also discussing the larger population as a whole. Most cannot afford transportation costs of living & working in the suburbs.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. And folks, too, need to understand what their property tax will be wherever they live. For example, I live in the burbs in a house of similar size and yard of similar size to my previous home in Midtown. However, my property taxes out here are one sixth of what they were in Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta